View Diary: Two employees that supported Obama fired in Utah (234 comments)

•  there is a cause to fight for (14+ / 0-)

I had no idea until recently that there was in the US no general right not to be unfairly dismissed....no way firing someone for his political or religious or union views would be legal here.  BUT would I want to work for someone who talks of Obongo care?  Unlikely... I suspect that he has other delightful characteristics too!

We have other good things in the UK than health care, that you could do with, plainly!

•  I recall a news story a while back... (9+ / 0-)

Someone in the US was fired because of their bumper sticker.

I don't put bumper stickers on my vehicle anymore.

Republicans fear the US turning into Greece want to implement austerity measures... like Greece.

by feloneouscat on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 02:23:13 PM PST

•  Unfortunately, it's legal in lots of places (10+ / 0-)

I've been fired for being a Democrat. The excuse given was 'team fit'. I was a Pagan and a Democrat in a small office full of Fundie Republicans. I think the real reason was less because of my politics (although I did have a bumper sticker on my car that indicated I'm a liberal) and more because I was the only person that didn't decorate her work environment with tacky Christian tchotchkes. Of course, it's illegal to can me for being a Pagan, but 'team fit' covers up a multitude of illegal firings. It was almost certainly partly, at least, because I was a Democrat; after being berated for refusing to give an answer when I was asked whether I supported Republican Dino Rossi in the 2004 Washington gubernatorial recount and being pressured and having my job threatened if I didn't answer - which is legal, by the way - I answered. Truthfully.

Washington is an at-will employment state. There is, as best I can determine, no law against this.

Organ donors save lives! A donor's kidney gave me my life back on 02/18/11; he lives on in me. Please talk with your family about your wish to donate.

Why are war casualty counts "American troops" and "others" but never "human beings"?

by Kitsap River on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 05:17:56 PM PST

•  Sue - it's a little more complex than that (2+ / 0-)
      NoMoreLies, Puddytat

Most states are "at will" which means that any employee can be dismissed without cause at any time. However, there are numerous protected classes that are due a higher standard of care including women, and minorities. In addition, you cannot terminate someone because of race, gender, religion, or national origin. As Adam notes above only a few states make political belief a protected cause.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 08:01:26 PM PST

•  This is true (1+ / 0-)
        Horace Boothroyd III

but the way I see it, this is voter intimidation and retaliation aimed not only on the two fired, but the rest of his employees and future employees who will hear the story.

Legal action needs to be taken.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Fri Jan 18, 2013 at 10:34:25 PM PST

•  Puddytat - "legal action"? (0+ / 0-)

Federal legislative or state action to make political belief a protected class? I think that is something worth pursuing. It doesn't look like it violates any civil or criminal laws in Utah so I don't think there will be any successful litigation on this specific case.

"let's talk about that"

by VClib on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 07:45:02 AM PST

•  I'm not looking at this through (0+ / 0-)

the lens of employment laws, but election law.  It's illegal for an employer to tell employees how to vote, but it's clear that this employer is sending a clear message to his employees to check with him before voting.  Or else.

They are being punished for failure to vote the way their employer wanted them to and if this doesn't have consequences, we'll have employers sending "representatives" into voting booths with every employee in the near future to make sure they vote the way the boss wants them to.

This cannot be allowed to stand with only outrage as the consequence.

There already is class warfare in America. Unfortunately, the rich are winning.

by Puddytat on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 02:40:39 PM PST

•  Puddytat - good luck (0+ / 0-)

The employer doesn't actually know how anyone voted, and the reasons for the termination are grayer than just political affiliation. He mentioned there were some performance issues. Unless the state includes political affiliation as a protected cause I don't see the case here, but wish you the best of luck.

"let's talk about that"

• Media (23)
  • Economy (23)
  • Politics (22)
  • Texas (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site