View Diary: Saturday Morning Garden Blogging Vol. 8.48 (342 comments)

•  hola, you all (11+ / 0-)

greetings from the Isthmus, where we are in verano as in summer, meaning dry and windy season.

It hasn't rained in days! I now have to water the garden and even the "lawn" if they are to survive, but we also are short of water in the area. It goes off for hours a day, at unpredictable times. I'm trying to water the minimum, while still keeping a garden going.

Today, Bob teh Beagle and I raked leaves (which fall in the dry season)..

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I transplanted some pepper plants with shade things, the sun is really strong..

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

and 4 more pineapple offshoots to join the 20 or so..

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

This Rover crossed over.. Willie Nelson, written by Dorothy Fields

by Karl Rover on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 12:20:12 PM PST

•  I hope it never comes to that here: (7+ / 0-)
      It goes off for hours a day, at unpredictable times.

Not this mind and not this heart, I won't rot • Mumford & Sons

by jayden on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 01:44:43 PM PST

•  it's interesting and annoying (7+ / 0-)

we get at least a foot of rain a month for half the year, and much less the other half year. It has to do with the shifting of the prevailing winds, driven by the sun's path north and south of the equater. As I'm sure you know ;).

Panama is a really steep in the middle, skinny country, with no snowfall, so the rainfall runs off fast. It has pretty clean water, as in it's not been through anyone's toilet, sewage plant, river, purification plant, multiple times like in (some parts of) the USA. But the rivers dwindle quickly in the dry season. Many people have water tanks to save water for when it's cut off.. we're thinking about it.. if we can come up with the money. In the meantime, we fill up containers and buckets for whatever we need.

This Rover crossed over.. Willie Nelson, written by Dorothy Fields

by Karl Rover on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 02:16:17 PM PST

•  Where do you get plants down there? (6+ / 0-)

Is there a garden center, or something less formal?

You know, I sometimes think if I could see, I'd be kicking a lot of ass. -Stevie Wonder at the Glastonbury Festival, 2010

by Rich in PA on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 07:16:43 PM PST

•  I start my own, usually (6+ / 0-)

generally from seeds or offshoots I get from produce I buy, or sometimes purchased seeds. Very few times have I seen veggie starts for sale, most nurseries are selling ornamental plants and some herbs.

Buying seeds is iffy because I've got specific climate and pest problems I've got to work with. Hot, humid, nematodes, Southern blight, squash borers,etc. The seeds in the ag stores are OK, but seem to be produced for a higher, cooler climate and more inputs of chemicals.

Many things I've planted have failed completely (tomatoes, carrots, zuchinni), while a different variety is sometimes what makes the difference (peppers only if blight resistent, the local winter squash does fine).

The best part is that I can grow multi-year plants like bananas, pineapple, yam, taro, etc, and my squash and peppers year around. I really need to find some tomato seeds that can make it here- that's among my next projects.

This Rover crossed over.. Willie Nelson, written by Dorothy Fields

by Karl Rover on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 06:19:26 AM PST

•  That's interesting about the tomatoes/zucchini (5+ / 0-)
          jayden, estreya, Karl Rover, welso, mikidee

I'm not surprised about the carrots--in Colombia they only come from cold climates.  And come to think of it, the tomatoes were always crummy.

by Rich in PA on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 07:31:52 AM PST