View Diary: What is Sustainable Landscaping? (127 comments)

•  T & R for a series and this informative diary (6+ / 0-)

that was so well prepared and illustrated.

The comments are outstanding as well.  I would love to see a regular series devoted to landscaping and gardening for the future.  I'm currently in limbo about exactly what I want to do and how to accomplish it as we're currently moving into our third year of drought.  I've used natives along with other plants that were sustainable as I've gradually converted what was almost all lawn into mostly
    beds or areas often.  I'm still somewhat overwhelmed with trying to decide what to do since the long term prognosis is strongly favoring desertification so I'm not even sure how many currently native species will survive or for how long.

I've read and thought quite a bit about the alternatives and possibilities but so much depends upon the speed and vicissitudes of climate change.  I find the shared experiences of others the most interesting and helpful in deciding what I can and want to do.

More: Some men think the Earth is round, others think it flat; it is a matter capable of question. But if it is flat, will the King's command make it round? And if it is round, will the King's command flatten it?

by blueoasis on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 12:44:09 PM PST

•  We are in NW Texas and are focusing (4+ / 0-)
      NoMoreLies, blueoasis, Aunt Pat, cantelow

on renewing, deepening and maintaining the mulch on all of our plantings this year.  We will be happy to keep everything alive and maybe even spreading a bit this year.  The only thing we lost last year were some rootings I transplanted away from the mother plants.  I think we can do better with the mulch, though. We had so many days of sustained 30-40 mph winds last summer, it became very uneven.

Maybe that will help to make the most of our little offerings of water.

I don't know where you are and know they are not native everywhere, but our daylilies, iris and herbs are the hardiest and easiest things in our garden.

The truth always matters.

by texasmom on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 12:59:21 PM PST

•  my daylilies are hardy and not thirsty (4+ / 0-)
        texasmom, Aunt Pat, blueoasis, cantelow

but my land irises (as opposed to my water irises) need to keep getting split annually or so, or they refuse to keep flowering.  When the land irises die back in the late summer they get weedy too.

Orly, it isn't evidence just because you downloaded it from the internet.

by 6412093 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:22:16 PM PST

•  I'm a ways northeast of you in the Southern (4+ / 0-)
        NoMoreLies, Aunt Pat, cantelow, texasmom

Plains.  Yes, those plants that you mention are all good standards.  I'm sure that we have lots of similar problems, but it's really been worse up here than most of Texas this last year and my area is going into the sixth month of extraordinary drought.  We've even gotten a little less rain than most of the larger area that's also in extraordinary drought which is pretty depressing.  I think that they need to add another top level, like really, really extraordinary. :)

It's interesting that you mention the mulch since that has been a major headache the last year.  I'm no longer able to find decent bark mulch at all in the area.  It's just been in the last couple of years that the bagged bark mulch from several brands has become crap with half of it being residue, twigs, and chunks of limbs; I even found a flattened soft drink can in a bag.  No nurseries carry it and the only sources of bulk nuggets are 150 miles.

I could do a long rant on so many gardening products whose prices have increased and the quality deteriorated.
        One of the problems of living in a smaller town without any major cities close, though I suspect many of the problems I'm encountering are becoming increasingly widespread.

by blueoasis on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:51:53 PM PST

•  The quality of mulch (2+ / 0-)
          blueoasis, cantelow

has become more degraded here as well, despite ready access to many ground wood products. Good bulk mulch is expensive, and companies that produce mulch have taken to grinding up any old lumber and scrap wood they get their hands on, which might include treated wood, pallets and other nasty products.

Ironically, the least contaminated mulch might be ground up wood chips from the local tree service, or from your town or village if they pick up and chip brush for residents.

Trickle Down Economics 101: They get the golden parachute, we get the golden shower.

by NoMoreLies on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:57:29 PM PST

•  I think it's similar to whatever it is that is (1+ / 0-)
            NoMoreLies

labeled "compost" today.

The town is thankfully still doing a limited mulching when the equipment is working and the employees have the free time.  Unfortunately the site where they used to unload mulch also allows anyone to toss limbs and such on top of the very roughly ground mulch and it's all a mess.  There's really no planning or oversight and hardly anyone here thinks such things are serious.  I haven't checked in several years now, but even if I could get to some of the chunky stuff, I'm somewhat leary about introducing diseases into my yard, but then I suppose the risk isn't any greater than with any other source.

by blueoasis on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 02:29:39 PM PST

• Health Care (21)
  • Rescued (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site