View Diary: one last post on guns this evening (132 comments)

•  Thank you for your wisdom T.K. You have called (38+ / 0-)

them absolutists, others have called them fetishists, today you say our Country is gun crazy. All of these are absolutely correct.  Today I got HRd and reprimanded because I called this phenomenon the gun Cult.  If it is not a cult (or at least behave like one), then I don't know what it is.

How many more Americans are we going to sacrifice at the altar of this cult that the NRA has created before retaking our Government and getting them to pass common sense national firearm regulations like FULL background checks on EVERY firearm sale/transfer, licensing and registration?

Then they came for me - and by that time there was nobody left to speak up.

by DefendOurConstitution on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 09:06:38 PM PST

•  It seems to me that most of the gun community (5+ / 0-)

actually supports measures like full background checks.  There is a small subset, mostly coming from the ultra Libertarian position that may not, but they are a minority.

There are a lot of things that can be done to improve the situation without implementing any additional bans.  Unfortunately, it seems as if this is what a very vocal minority has predicated their whole position on and in many ways it strikes me like tax cuts for the very wealthy.  It is time to start focusing on what can be done rather than the things that only create opposition.

•  There haven't been any substantive polls (5+ / 0-)

on the matter.

But my impression is the exact opposite, that there are only a few decent gun owners who speak up for safety.

"What could BPossibly go wrong??" -RLMiller "God is just pretend." - eru

by nosleep4u on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 07:08:35 AM PST

•  Frank Luntz did a poll (4+ / 0-)

that shows most NRA members support full background checks

"We didn't set out to save the world; we set out to wonder how other people are doing and to reflect on how our actions affect other people's hearts." - Pema Chodron

by teacherken on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 07:40:44 AM PST

•  That might be, but are just background checks (1+ / 0-)
            lyvwyr101

even close to being sufficient?  With all the guns out there and so many irresponsible gun owners among them, background checks before buying a gun will not prevent those who would fail one from getting a gun.  Background checks are just a beginning.

And then, how many of them favor background checks even for gun shows and private party sales?  It's easy to word a poll to get a majority to say yes.  I don't find that very convincing, considering what I'm hearing from all the gun toting folks I know.

by gustynpip on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 09:40:51 AM PST

•  So? (0+ / 0-)

Why do I hear this about every proposal?  Background check by themselves are not enough (So lets not bother)
              Banning high cap clips is not enough (So let's not bother).
              Mental Health screening won't be very effective (So let's not bother).
              The gun lobby has lots of money (So lets not start).

Let's do each of these things because together we can make a difference.

Even Democrats can be asses. Look at Rahm Emanuel.

by Helpless on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 12:04:44 PM PST

•  Did you see me say background checks are (1+ / 0-)
                lyvwyr101

not a good idea or that they shouldn't be done???

I was responding to the comment suggesting that the fact that a majority of NRA members indicated in a poll that they support background checks is evidence that many gun owners are supporting reasonable gun control measures.  I was making the point that I'm not certain that poll is evidence of any such thing.

Context is everything.

by gustynpip on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 12:42:47 PM PST

•  I know. (0+ / 0-)

And it keeps running thru my mind that Nancy Lanza was considered a reponsible gun-owner.

The Onion says----scholars have discovered---the Mayan word for "Apocalypse" in fact---translates more accurately as: "Time of pale obese gun monsters."

by lyvwyr101 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 04:02:10 PM PST

•  It may be in part where your looking (2+ / 0-)
          Smoh, Dogs are fuzzy

This site has an RKBA group.  Recent events seem to be causing many of them to be quiet and the few who aren't are getting shouted down a lot.  The fact that there is such a group came as a bit of a surprise to me.  I was always under the impression that gun rights was almost entirely a Conservative platform.   There are some forums and groups, such as defensivecarry.com that are sufficiently moderated that most of the right wing rhetoric is suppressed and there are a growing few left leaning people on there.  When it comes to advocating for safety, well, lets say if you suggest something unsafe you will get your ass handed to you in pieces.

•  I think that's because they are so noisy and (1+ / 0-)
          lyvwyr101

Intrusive here on DKos.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 10:38:45 AM PST

•  I think most do, but their silence is very telling (1+ / 0-)
          lyvwyr101

so either they are afraid to speak up and be attacked by the vociferous few or perhaps they don't want to engage at all.  It has been gratifying that a few have actually spoken up for gun regulations right here.

Then they came for me - and by that time there was nobody left to speak up.

by DefendOurConstitution on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:35:01 PM PST