View Diary: Abbreviated Pundit Round-up (69 comments)

•  Don't Get Me Started On Video Games (3+ / 0-)
    Youffraita, skohayes, Egalitare

I know you finished with that but it is a pet peve of mine.

I have been playing video games since the 70s. Now I generally like more puzzle type games. Things like Little Big Planet then FTS (first person shooter). But I own some of them.

I might have a game where the goal is a head shot but I don't then dream of shooting somebody in the head.

Ugh!!!!!!!!!!

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 11:00:21 PM PST

•  Oh One Other Thing (3+ / 0-)
      Youffraita, skohayes, Egalitare

As a kid my parents were told it was terrible for me to play D&D with my friends. I had to be using drugs to play that. Satan might be involved.

My parents were smart enough to know this wasn't true. That maybe their kid reading and playing a game was a good thing, also let me play video games. Heck we played them together.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 11:10:38 PM PST

•  I've been playing video games (2+ / 0-)
      webranding, Egalitare

since Pong started it all...and I miss pinball machines, too.

Generally I agree with you on puzzle games...but for the D&D player, for me, the best ones have been the Elder Scrolls series.  Unfortunately my computer isn't powerful enough for Skyrim -- I really, really want to play Skyrim.  It's fun to explore the world in this series, and there's something cathartic about taking a war axe to a villain who really, really deserves it.

:-)

To make the argument that the media has a left- or right-wing, or a liberal or a conservative bias, is like asking if the problem with Al-Qaeda is do they use too much oil in their hummus. Al Franken

by Youffraita on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 11:15:04 PM PST

•  One Of My Favorite Games Is Black (1+ / 0-)
        Youffraita

a PS2 game. Where the sole goal is to just go kill folks. Game play.

But is is a darn game. I don't play it and think well tomorrow I will go kill people.

When opportunity calls pick up the phone and give it directions to your house.

by webranding on Sat Jan 19, 2013 at 11:24:01 PM PST

•  Well, of course not. (1+ / 0-)
          skohayes

I don't think I would enjoy a game whose sole purpose is killing, although I certainly understand the rush one gets from battling through and winning.

(Then I go off and pick some flowers to make more potions...heh.  In The Elder Scrolls games, alchemy is an excellent skill to develop, even if you're mostly a fighter, not a magic user.)

Nevertheless, I don't believe games and movies cause people to become berserk mass murderers.  Comics, either, despite what was said in the 1940s & 50s.

Our politicians want a convenient "evil" to blame, against all evidence.

Have you seen the diary by the person in Japan?  They play the same games, watch the same movies, and have almost zero gun violence -- mainly b/c few people have guns.

by Youffraita on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 12:13:33 AM PST

•  Oh -- one more thing (4+ / 0-)
          skohayes, JayRaye, Ohkwai, janmtairy

This is tangentially related: NY used to ban pinball machines b/c it was officially considered "gambling" and of course gambling was illegal until the state instituted Lotto.

Then somebody took it to court.  And a pinball wizard went into that court, announced his shots, made his announced shots, and generally proved to the judge that it's more a game of skill than of pure luck.

And that is why pinball is legal in NY today.  (I read it in the NYT so it must be true! ;-)

by Youffraita on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 12:22:36 AM PST

•  everyone knows it is comics that is to blame (1+ / 0-)
      Dogs are fuzzy

with all those exploding heads in every panel.  Fred Wertham told me so

•  I play FIFA 13 every day (1+ / 0-)
      wintergreen8694

I've had no problems at all... except I have this terrible urge to cheer for Manchester United.*

* - For the non-football-inclined folks in the house (And, yes, it's called football), think Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees -- essentially a huge, iconic sports-related corporation almost everyone hates. :)

"If you're going to go down with the ship, make it a submarine." - Wayne Shorter

by Oliver Tiger on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 05:39:02 AM PST

•  Trouble in River City (3+ / 0-)
      DRo, wintergreen8694, ybruti
      Laura June has a terrific piece up on the history of arcades. Why is this important? Because she shows how the tendency to blame video games for society's ills has been there for as long as there have been games... and maybe even longer.
      "Trouble, oh we got trouble,
      Right here in River City!
      With a capital "T"
      That rhymes with "P"
      And that stands for Pool,
      That stands for pool.
      We've surely got trouble!
      Right here in River City,
      Right here!
      Gotta figger out a way
      To keep the young ones moral after school!
      Trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble, trouble..."

Going to see The Music Man today.