View Diary: Here is what I learned about guns in Japan (163 comments)

•  US Military rate in 2012: 32 per 100,000 (18+ / 0-)

Suicide rates may actually have little or nothing to do with the availability of firearms, but since you brought it up I would like to point out the unfortunate suicide epidemic in our military:

Reports on US military suicides have revealed that the US Army, the largest body within the US military (around 562,000 personnel), has the highest number and rate of military suicides: Over 32 per 100,000 troops.
    and
    The suicide rate among veterans vastly exceeds that of active-duty troops. According to estimates last year by the US Department of Veterans’ Affairs, a US military veteran commits suicide every 80 minutes – totaling 18 veterans a day.
    link

Thanks, but no thanks to your attempt to link Japan's suicide problem to causes that are related only in your mind.

BTW if you halve the diarist's 30,000 figure to discount for US suicides by gun and then halve it again to adjust for population you still have 100 deaths by gun in Japan versus 7,500 in the US.  That still makes the US rate of gun death 75 times higher than Japan.  How is that not a problem?

It has always seemed strange to me...The things we admire in men, kindness and generosity, openness, honesty, understanding and feeling, are the concomitants of failure in our system. - John Steinbeck, Cannery Row

by ovals49 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:18:23 AM PST

•  What exactly did I link Japan's suicide rate to? (0+ / 0-)

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:22:30 AM PST

•  Did this have anything to do with your post? (4+ / 0-)
        Japan may not be a tyranny, but it also had its constitution written by a foreign nation, technically can't have a military & has a foreign nation occupying it.
        or did you just throw it out there for no particular reason?

by ovals49 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:40:57 AM PST

•  Because (8+ / 0-)

Some tea head on my Facebook feed once (in reply to me stating the gun statistics etc) that we Don't have rights or some bs strawman. Main reason I wrote that in. Like I said I typed the diary on my tiny iPhone (like this comment) and totally didn't expect it to get the attention it got.

I would have spent an hour making a really well thought out diary with graphs and pictures and everything...

Not every story has a happy ending but Im doing my best to make mine so. Come and take a look at my discussion forum: TheNewCurevents We are looking for new active members!

by ProgressiveTokyo on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:54:45 AM PST

•  From the diary..... (0+ / 0-)

"No tyranny here"

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:57:12 AM PST

•  We have a democratically elected government (17+ / 0-)

Higher voter % than in the states and the US military stays here at Japan's discretion. This is no occupation in any sense of the word. This is a military partnership. And you damn well better believe China is the enemy. They are a dictatorship and will eventually be swept to the dustbin of history. But that is another diary completely.

In fact Japan pays them money every year for the privilege.

The Japanese SDF is very prepared for China, with or without the US. In fact we are only the second country in the world besides the US with the Aegis system.

by ProgressiveTokyo on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 02:12:46 AM PST

•  Seeing as how US military bases are (0+ / 0-)

US sovereignty & they are there because of conquest, I would say that there is an occupation in at least some sense of the word.

Their Constitution was written by a foreign nation & they, technically, can't have a military.

Japan may not be a 'tyranny' but they are a conquered nation that still has limited self-determination.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.

by FrankRose on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 02:28:52 AM PST

•  Conquered Country? (11+ / 0-)

WW11 Japan , where 70,000 prisoners died on the Bataan Death March in the Philippines , many thousands of them American, where Pearl harbor was one of the lower body count battles with Imperial Japan, millions killed in China and  a veritable smorgasbord of smaller countries in Asia? That Japan? Imperial Japan now Japan Inc.? OMG, Occupied by bases that feed an economy desperate for any economic activity as Debt now = 2x GDP? Who don't have the money to build a military that is 1/10th as power as the one they had when we first met on the field on 12/7/1941?

After 60 Million killed in WW11, if you are unnerved by the idea that the countries that kicked that Holocaust off are way better off than they were in the final years of the war you really do need a lesson in history. I suspect you know all that and are simply twisting facts to fit in the strangest argument I've ever heard.

•  Frank needs to be completely ignored (3+ / 0-)
                  Dburn, lyvwyr101, ProgressiveTokyo

He brings nothing worthwhile to the conversation. Twisting facts and obscuring the truth is what he does. Poorly, I might add!

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

by reflectionsv37 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 03:41:36 PM PST

•  Argues for an Ignore button (3+ / 0-)

We have the Recommend button for comments we like, agree with, are amused by, or learn so etching from. We have the Hide button for comments so atrocious they should be hidden from non-Trusted Users. But we need something that says "I disagree" or "That's incredibly stupid" or "You are so annoying."  And users who collect enough Ignore ratings could be hidden at the viewers' choice (through a Profile setting, perhaps) for a superior DKos reading experience.

Frank is one of those posters I'd be hitting the Ignore button on frequently, and I suspect I wouldn't be the only one.  And while I am firmly for strengthening gun control laws, this is not because of his beliefs.  It is because of his self-indulgent whining and interference in these discussions.

•  and none of these consequences of WW2 (0+ / 0-)

are in any related to the absence of guns in their culture or under their beds.

To paraphrase one of your ealier posts: "America? No thanks"

Scripture says "resist not evil", but evil unresisted will prevail.

by Boreal Ecologist on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 01:54:24 PM PST

•  Well actually (13+ / 0-)

If we are taking out the suicides from these statistics, of those less than 100 deaths I think 2/3s of them are suicides. There are very very few people being shot to death here.

My good friend from Kansas City's good friend was shot and killed 2 weeks ago. He was 27

by ProgressiveTokyo on Sun Jan 20, 2013 at 02:07:45 AM PST