View Diary: In today's entirely preventable gun violence incident- Dueling Badges (53 comments)

•  This will sound cold, but (0+ / 0-)

where I live we have a pretty decent shelter establishment, and panhandlers who go home to their own places at night. And aggressiveness on their part has been eliminated by enforcement of laws against that aggressiveness.

I have a friend who enjoys helping people who appear to be homeless and in need of help. He keeps doing it even though he has a number of anecdotes about how he has been played by them.

There are legitimately needy people out there, and lots of them. But many others game the helpers. I can't tell the difference myself, though.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 08:03:31 AM PST

•  Really? (0+ / 0-)

How many nights have you spent in the shelters to come to this conclusion?

where I live we have a pretty decent shelter establishment
      You don't sound cold you sound blissfully ignorant of realty.

"Til you're so fucking crazy you can't follow their rules" John Lennon - Working Class Hero

by Horace Boothroyd III on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 08:19:41 AM PST

•  I read about it in the papers. (0+ / 0-)

And have other sources if info such as I mentioned above.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 08:32:26 AM PST

•  So you know how long the wait list is? (0+ / 0-)

Whether you get a towel with your shower?

What they do to fight the bedbugs and lice?

How much endless proselytizing one must endure for a (supposedly non-secular) roof over ones head?

Do they kick you out at five am and not let you back in until 7pm?

Do you have to start lining up at noon to get in at 7 or risk the outdoors?

Since your have read about them and find them sufficient please answer the above for me to verify.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 08:36:52 AM PST

•  Salt Lake City, UT. (0+ / 0-)

The Road Home seems to do a pretty good job, here's their 2011 annual report (pdf).

Here's something about the number of homeless in the area.

They do kick em out during the day, don't know the hours.

I think they have everybody covered indoors at least in winter, from what I read in the links.

I'd be interested in what you find out.

Moderation in most things.

by billmosby on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 08:57:17 AM PST

•  Nope (0+ / 0-)

those do not answer the reality the homeless actually face.

I'm at this point calling you a liar. And the shelters in your town are also hellacious nightmares that the homeless would rather sleep outside than endure.

Go to the shelter. Talk to homeless people. You wonder why there is a social failure? We have been going top down since Regan. If you pay any attention to those of us at the bottom you would understand the US is a third world country.

by Horace Boothroyd III on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 05:56:16 AM PST