View Diary: Instead of "Assault Weapons", how about a fire-rate restriction? (173 comments)

•  You going to tell me how fast I can... (0+ / 0-)

...pull the trigger on my firearm? I don't care what you say, that's funny. Get er done!

ego sum ergo ego eram

by glb3 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 12:13:23 PM PST

•  No, i'm going to tell you how fast the gun can (1+ / 0-)
      Smoh

respond to your trigger pulls! Have a great day!

I see what you did there.

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 12:26:24 PM PST

•  Plus, you can't hit anything moving and (0+ / 0-)

certainly can't defend yourself from the side or behind if you have to focus really hard to pop off competition-level firing and reloading, so I'm not really concerned about that.

I see what you did there.

by GoGoGoEverton on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 12:27:18 PM PST

•  Yes (2+ / 0-)
      coquiero, GoGoGoEverton

It would require some re-engineering of the trigger, but there has to be a way to design it so that there's a delay before it can be fired again.

They have such triggers available on nail guns, for safety reasons.

Why not have this when shooting bullets?

I think this should be required on guns that are sold without registration.  If you want to own the most dangerous weapons, without such restrictions, then you should at least be required to register them and be responsible for what happens to them.

•  Some sort of 3 minute egg timer thingy? n/t (0+ / 0-)

ego sum ergo ego eram

by glb3 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 12:43:07 PM PST

•  How about a one time thermal fuse, replaceable, (1+ / 0-)
          coquiero

that disables the firing pin if x number of shots are fired in y time.  Say, 8 shots in 8 seconds, too hot, firing pin disabled.

Republicans are like alligators. All mouth and no ears.

by Ohiodem1 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 01:23:16 PM PST

•  Kind of like a flintlock? (0+ / 0-)

Are you a gunsmith?

ego sum ergo ego eram

by glb3 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 01:43:43 PM PST

•  The guns we are talking about... (1+ / 0-)
            BlackSheep1

...are mechanical devices, not electronic devices.

ego sum ergo ego eram

by glb3 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 01:47:04 PM PST

•  There area all kinds of thermal limiters. (0+ / 0-)

I come from an electral background, but there are mechanical thermal limit devices, with very sharply calibrated trip characteristics.

No, I am not a gunsmith, but the debate is on, and ideas should be put out on the table.  Change is coming.  Some devices have springs that disengage if the thermal fusing element gets too hot, some are bi-metallic sandwiches that open with a mechanical snap, and can re-set when cooled, but it would take a fair amount of time.  I am sure some mechanical engineers can chip in if they wanted to, with better how-to's for this or some other kind of limitation on the number of shots a firearm could fire in a finite, and defined time frame.

Republicans are like alligators. All mouth and no ears.

by Ohiodem1 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 02:07:02 PM PST

•  Would hate to have a thermal trigger... (0+ / 0-)

...disengage because I fired too many rounds while protecting myself. How would the gun know if it was being used for self defense or murder?

ego sum ergo ego eram

by glb3 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 05:08:45 PM PST

•  It wouldn't. You are describing a fire fight (0+ / 0-)

in a protective situation.  If you are a cop or military person, this type of trigger is not for you.  If you are going to shoot up a theater, and you have an assualt weapon, then it makes sense.

How many self defense situations require more than one discharge of the defendee's weapon.  Very few, I suspect.

Anyway, I'm just brainstorming here.

Republicans are like alligators. All mouth and no ears.

by Ohiodem1 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 07:31:48 PM PST

•  I'd settle for 1 second.... (0+ / 0-)

You can probably do 1 round per second in a fast bolt action.  It doesn't need to be slower than that.

Maybe just requiring the shooter to press a reset of some kind between shots would slow things down enough to prevent the "bump firing" and such which is so fast it seems almost indistiguishable from full-auto.