View Diary: A sad day in #tcot-land (260 comments)

•  Surprised at "Battle Hymn" (5+ / 0-)

I know it's the Civil War 150th, and echoes of Lincoln and all that. But I was surprised that they featured the "Battle Hymn of the Republic," so clearly a sectional and divisive symbol in 1863 and still a symbol that drives the South nuts. It seemed like a "rubbing it in / salt in wounds" choice, not the right tone to set.

•  i agree that it was bold! but great tone actually (3+ / 0-)

as he is gonna be damn sure to save the union!

"A dollah makes me hollah"-- Stephen Colbert, pretending to be S. Palin

by stagemom on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:14:47 AM PST

•  And, as you say, (8+ / 0-)

it's the 150th anniversary of the Civil War.  So, we've been one country undivided for 150 years.  Should we really be worrying about a song?  I mean, some folks need to get over their loss.

I get offended when I see the Stars and Bars on the back of a pickup.  But I live with it.

•  It's an American Hymn (10+ / 0-)

and is not the sole property of the South.

From Wikipedia:
      "In the years since the Civil War, "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" has been used frequently as an American patriotic song.[10]

This song is usually heard at the national conventions of both the Republican Party and Democratic Party,[citation needed] and is often sung at Presidential inaugurations, including that of President Barack H. Obama whose formal ceremony occurred on January 21, 2013.

The song was notably played on September 14, 2001 at the Washington National Cathedral and at Saint Paul's Cathedral during memorial services for the victims of the September 11 attacks.

This was one of Sir Winston Churchill's favorite songs. At his request this song was played at his funeral in St. Paul's Cathedral in 1965.

The Marine Corps Band performed it when Pope Benedict XVI was greeted on the South Lawn of the White House by President George W. Bush on April 16, 2008.

•  Anyone still upset by "Battle Hymn" is going to be (15+ / 0-)

too busy drowning their sorrows in Wild Turkey or Jim Beam today to notice.

Economics is a social *science*. Can we base future economic decisions on math?

by blue aardvark on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:20:14 AM PST

•  As militaristic screeds go ... (1+ / 0-)
        blue aardvark

Battle Hymn of the Republic is right up there with Onward Christian Soldiers. There's a reason that some denominational hymnals omit one or both these days, and it has nothing to do with Southern sensibilities.

The choir's performance was beautiful. They skipped the verse I dislike the most. That's all I can say in favor of the selection.

Just because you're not a drummer doesn't mean that you don't have to keep time. -- T. Monk

by susanala on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 12:29:16 PM PST

•  Don't feel that way myself. (6+ / 0-)

It's a gorgeous American song that was performed beautifully.
      It speaks to one of the most pivotal moments in our country's history, and reminds us there's still much to be marched for.  And finally, I'm not concerned about setting the right tone for the former confederacy. They're Americans now, subject to the rule and constitution of this country, as well as the laws we legislate as a Democratic republic.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:21:17 AM PST

•  a not so subtle in your face to Blue Dogs (3+ / 0-)
      TrueBlueMajority, urnumbersix, JayBat

and to those in the Party of Lincoln who have forgotten Lincoln

•  rugbymom, the slavery apologists (5+ / 0-)

...in the former confederate states have had almost 150 years to get over the fact that President Lincoln firmly resolved in his Second Inaugural Address to forgive their treasured ancestors' treason:

With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the nation's wounds...
      ...and allow them to remain full members of the United States.

But their ancestors were, in fact, treasonous scoundrels who were profoundly and morally in the wrong. It's about time for the descendents to get over it.

-Jay-

•  For the most part, I think the whole (1+ / 0-)
        TheDuckManCometh

Civil War attitude retained in the South has become part of the fabric of just being Southern, part of the heritage, and contains little real malice or historic pain. It looks and sounds like something that's been handed down through the generations and carries little of the taste of reality or relevance to most of the youngest folk.

Maybe I'm wrong. It just rings hollow to me from all but the eldest of the elderly.

I believe in democracy, civil liberties, and the rule of law. That makes me a liberal, and I’m proud of it. - Paul Krugman

by Gentle Giant on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 12:03:37 PM PST

•  Disagree. When a 30-year-old good ol' boy (0+ / 0-)

in Mississippi flies a 6-foot Stars and Bars from the bed of his pickup truck, he's yelling "F__ you, n__s" at the top of his lungs.

(Don't get me wrong, racism is abundant in all regions of the US, but the current topic of discussion was hurting the delicate feelings of poor abused Southerners by singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic at the President's inaugural.)

-Jay-

•  "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" (7+ / 0-)

is recognized as the theme for the legitimate government of the Nation in 1863.  Yes, it does drive the TRAITORS nuts.  It should.  It reminds them they lost and the Nation survived their treason.

You have the right to remain silent. If you waive that right you will be accused of class warfare.

by spritegeezer on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:29:12 AM PST

•  Fox commentators don't like it (4+ / 0-)
      zinger99, Gentle Giant, Farlfoto, JayBat

So I'm pretty much on board.

This president has bent over backwards to accommodate people who want him dead.  If he has, at long last, gotten over that and is ready to tell them to go to hell, all I can say is "Glory, glory, hallelujah!"

But it's going to take a lot more than a song to convince me that he's going to stop letting the radical right set the agenda.

"And the President of the United States - would be seated right here. I would be here. And he would be here. I would turn - and there he’d be. I could pet ‘im." - Lewis Black

by libdevil on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 11:49:50 AM PST

•  Lincoln also (1+ / 0-)
        Womantrust

had "Dixie" played after the war was over as a way to convey forgiveness and the wish for peace.

by Gentle Giant on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 12:04:50 PM PST

•  Lincoln (1+ / 0-)
          Gentle Giant

Had sent several hundred thousand southerners to their graves.  There was a bit more cause for reconciliation than just daring to be President while black.  And Lincoln's magnanimity gave us a century and a half (so far) of neo-Confederate assholes who won't accept that they lost.  A few hundred thousand hangings for treason might have made the point a little more clearly.

And again - this president has bent over backwards to accommodate the far right.  They've given him nothing but hatred and bile in return.  After four years of making like Lincoln and trying to make nice, with four more years to secure a legacy, it would be a great relief if he started sticking it to these assholes.  It's the only level of communication they understand.

by libdevil on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 04:07:52 PM PST

•  I grew up inTexas (1+ / 0-)
      MaikeH

and we sang it in grade school there.

Yeah, I know: 'I grew up in Texas.'

Explains a lot, huh?

Plus, I get to use it to explain a lot of my irrational, aberrant behavior, which I usually enjoy.

When atlatls are outlawed, only outlaws will have atlatls.

by wheeldog on Mon Jan 21, 2013 at 12:30:54 PM PST