View Diary: Kos has spoken. (213 comments)

•  the urge to be sheriff finds rationalization (11+ / 0-)

The worst of the worst will occur and will get attention from site management. A user can just post a comment thatvthis diary is way out of bounds of acceptiblity etc... to stave off the 'concern' that one bad diary will bring down daily kos, the democratic party and Obama.

I know it deflates the valiant defenders ego but...well , I dont care.

People still need to grow up.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

by xxdr zombiexx on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 03:32:54 AM PST

•  I have only run out of ammo once or (7+ / 0-)

twice in my time here and those cases were where someone had run amok via diaries and comments and managed to jam in so many offensive statements in such a short time that it was a problem deciding which comment was the most offensive

•  I have only given one or two TRs (4+ / 0-)
        SilentBrook, raincrow, marsanges, entlord

If someone is an obvious troll, I like to call them out on it by linking to their earlier crap posts. Most people slink away in shame.

Also, ignoring diaries is an excellent way to deal with it. Hell, I've been on the wrong side with my comments before I knew the whole story. Most everyone here has a legitimate point of view.

But concern trolls are the worst, I know. Hate it when people misrepresent themselves. This latest gun thing is not trolling, it's just usual asshatery and people being uncivil. That's why I love the idea of this civility group!

•  Well, yeah -- the ego thing. (8+ / 0-)

The autoban system was put in place because the powers that be thought that we should be able to police the site ourselves. And the donut limit is there because basically we can't be trusted to police the site ourselves.

We were handed our shiny little badges and nifty little five-shooters. Yeee-haw! This town ain't big enough for the two of us! Pew, pew!

Oh well.

The trolls don't even show up on the management's radar unless somebody is handing out pastries. Like kos said, 10,000 comments a day -- nobody in upper management is reading all that.

What I was taking issue with was your statement that

I will suggest that if you run out if donuts on any given day you are more part of the problem than the sheriff you think you are.
      I'd agree that sometimes this is indeed the case but I don't see this as a general rule. If I spend too damn much time on this site and come across 5 dicks why shouldn't I play ring-toss with all 5 of them? Why should I be considered a part of the problem just because I occasionally pay attention? Would a self-imposed limit of 3 donuts per day make me a better Kossack?

I don't know of anyone claiming that one bad whatever going unpunished by our mighty collective socialist lie-brul wrath is going to mean the end of our glorious worker's revolution here in the orange place. But I do think it's important for dKos as a community to hold itself to a certain standard of behavior and whether I hand out zero HRs or all five in a single day doesn't say anything about how shiny my badge is.

I'll turn in my white hat and hand over the reins to my pony now.

“The right of the people peaceably to assemble, to consult for the common good, and to petition the government, or any department thereof, shall never be abridged.”

by Marko the Werelynx on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 04:38:52 AM PST

•  Be grateful. It used to be 2 donuts. (11+ / 0-)

It was set to two after the troll wars precisely for the reason that too many people abused the hr-ing privilege. It was out of control.

After things settled down it was changed to 5.

Self-described political "centrists" believe the best policy is halfway between right and wrong. — @RBReich via web

by BentLiberal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 04:57:34 AM PST

•  I am SHOCKED that KOSSACKS would abuse (11+ / 0-)

a donut...

by xxdr zombiexx on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 05:02:55 AM PST

•  lol - you were here for the history (2+ / 0-)
            glorificus, raincrow

... of which I speak!

by BentLiberal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 05:06:07 AM PST

•  I never abused donuts. (2+ / 0-)
              a2nite, Odysseus

I don't recall the 2-donut days....

I honestly don't recall any of that.....

by xxdr zombiexx on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 05:27:06 AM PST

•  Oh, I wasn't saying you did, by any means. (4+ / 0-)

Just thought you might have been around then.

There was this time, a bit after I joined that there was a big kerfluffle going on with packs of people chasing people down and obliterating them with HRs. (As I recall they were unlimited then. I didn't even have TU at that point).

It got so bad that they put a limit of 2 hr's per day per trusted user. Then people complained that was not enough. When things settled down they put it at 5 and it's been there for several years now.

Peace!  --BL

by BentLiberal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 05:32:18 AM PST

•  No recollection (4+ / 0-)

but then, I have always detested the HR thing and have always considered it childish and stupid, and actions of late have only reinforced my unfortunate perspective on this action so many cherish so needlessly.

by xxdr zombiexx on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 05:35:43 AM PST

•  Ah, that's what I was looking for. (2+ / 0-)
                    xxdr zombiexx, marsanges

I can better understand your initial comment now in the light of your feelings about the whole HR system.

I can respect that. It's a more accepting attitude than the one I've adopted. I may be changing my position on the whole HR mess.

by Marko the Werelynx on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 06:31:21 AM PST

•  I find that a comment simply remonstrating (1+ / 0-)
                    SilentBrook

with something offensive is usually just as effective or more so than applying an HR( and explaining why I gave it).  And if the parent remark is really unacceptable, lots of other folks will come along behind me and HR it.

"The extinction of the human race will come from its inability to EMOTIONALLY comprehend the exponential function." -- Edward Teller

by lgmcp on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 09:43:46 AM PST

•  I missed that, and I think I'm glad (2+ / 0-)
                  KenBee, BentLiberal

been here off-and-on since '04. Had lurked around here since '01 before, one day, Hesiod said something I thought deserved repeating in a comment.

Sometimes the fights -- and until the one going on now I'd always been able to blink in disbelief that people were so worked up over something like that -- caused me to stay away for months ... even years. The California wildfire liveblogs brought me back.

by BlackSheep1 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 10:44:09 AM PST

•  And I see a lot of people as being very (7+ / 0-)

defensive of their video game right to toss donuts and engage in oratories about how they were right to do so.

I think its stupid.

It clearly doesn't help the situation: we still see calls for kos to wade in and kos occasionally telling people "no, you don't want me wading in'.

Thanks for supporting what I had to say, despite that fine attempt to take issue with it.

Nice working with you.

by xxdr zombiexx on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 04:59:02 AM PST

•  p.s. if you didn't like "sherrif" (1+ / 0-)
        Marko the Werelynx

the term that used to be commonly used was "troll hunter!"

by BentLiberal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 05:08:23 AM PST

•  I don't mind either term (5+ / 0-)

I'm not thin-skinned and I can take a poke or two.

And I completely agree with xxdr zombiexx that crying to Markos about problems among the untidy masses in the comments is not solving the problems and will just end with more purges which end with nobody feeling very good about the results.

I just question the value of a self-moderating community if we're not to use the tools we're given to self-moderate.

Does an HR serve a legitimate purpose or not?

There has been a rash lately of people HR-ing the Tip Jars of diaries they merely disagree with. And then there's the strange rating habit of "Hide Rate on sight" utterly devoid of any connection to the content of a comment. That is 'hunting' or rather 'stalking' and is hopefully a behavior of which I've never been guilty. Yeah, some folks fling their HRs without much thought. There are plenty of examples of excess.

Moderation in moderation? Sure. But I'd like to see each HR I fling judged for appropriateness on its own merit and not summarily dismissed just because it happened to be one of five.

I'm probably just being dickish myself and reading too much into this one point but I thought it was worth discussing.

by Marko the Werelynx on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 05:44:40 AM PST

•  Yeah, the HR On Sight thing seems nasty to me. (6+ / 0-)

People take notions, though. NOTHING is going to make dKos their version of perfect. There will always be disagreement.

Actually, I've read quite a few of the gun things and while the comments are sometimes heated and unpleasant, it was worse, imo, before The Great Purge.

Some people feel their point is just too important.

I will say I consider the current defensive posture of most RKBAers an improvement.

*There are two sides to every horseshit.* Kos

by glorificus on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 06:47:12 AM PST

•  I've only used HOS on genuine trolls -- not (2+ / 0-)
              KenBee, Marko the Werelynx

Community -- for whom the ban-hammer is not falling quickly enough.

YES WE DID -- AGAIN. FOUR MORE YEARS.

by raincrow on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 10:30:17 AM PST

•  THIS.... (5+ / 0-)

The ban hammer didn't fall fast enough.

This is the top of the slippery slope.

This is a desire for actual control over somebody versus doing your bit to flag something inappropriate.

This is where people's ego's get sucked into the mix and they end up acting like they are less educated than they truly are.

by xxdr zombiexx on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 11:09:22 AM PST

•  I have gecko feet and no worries of slippage (1+ / 0-)
                  Marko the Werelynx

When you HR a comment or tip jar -- thereby declaring a post so unfit for public dissemination that it should be hidden from all but TUs, with full knowledge that the author will come under pressure to temper subsequent posts to avoid spinning vases and worse -- what can possibly be your intent but to indicate your "desire for actual control over somebody"? Thus, I consider HOS a matter of degree, not kind.

Fwiw I've been here several years, had TU status for most of that time, and have declared personal HOShad on I think 3 people. Two were openly right-wing agitators who joined in bare-faced dishonesty, having zero intention of being in community with us and even less intention of helping elect more and better Democrats; and one was just a brazen, poisonous hater. To them and their ilk, I brandish my 5 daily donuts and shriek:

YES WE DID -- AGAIN. FOUR MORE YEARS.

by raincrow on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 10:45:04 PM PST

•  never knew that...... (0+ / 0-)

by xxdr zombiexx on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 11:07:19 AM PST

•  My sister in law (0+ / 0-)

keeps telling me to 'grow up' but she's really talking about how I should accept her agenda, reality and definition of grown up. Reality based and grown up both are subjective and vary with the users POV.  As for hurting the sites reputation they don't call it The Great Orange Satan for nothing. I would also say that the issues that erupt into major pie are usually reflecting rifts in the world beyond dkos. One thing I have found is that yes indeed politics makes for strange bedfellows. I once asked a poster in a fit of pique "How old are you 12?' He replied no I'm 14.