View Diary: Blogging the Israeli Elections (53 comments)

•  any new updates or r the groups still negotiating (1+ / 0-)
    volleyboy1

is it finalized that Netanyahu is PM or r the center-center, center, center-left, labor, etc still trying to see if they can cobble together enough seats for PM spot/control?

I must say, parliamentary systems though confusing are very interesting

•  No.. there are lots of updates but there (2+ / 0-)
      Mannie, DEMonrat ankle biter

are a lot of negotiations now going.

The final total is this:

Likud-Betainu - 31 (Down from 42)
      Yesh Atid - 19 (new party)
      Labor - 15 (Up from 8)
      Shas - 11 (unchanged)
      HaBayit HaYehudi - 11 (up from 7)
      United Torah Judaism - 7 (up from 6)
      HaTanuah - 6 (new party)
      Meretz - 6 (up from 3)
      United Arab List - 5 (up from 3)
      Hadash - 4 (unchanged)
      Balad - 3 (unchanged)
      Kadima - 2 (Down from 28)

So the split is Righists = 60, Center/Center Left Zionist = 48 and Arab Parties =12 (though Hadash is a mixture of Arab AND Jewish but it is non-Zionist).

For the Center to get to 60 they need to pull in one of the Religious Parties as there will be no alliances with the Arab Parties. Most likely the Prime Minister will get his coalition but, I cannot see it being particularly long lived.

"'Touch it dude' - President Barack Obama"

by volleyboy1 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 09:28:52 AM PST

•  I would like to see (0+ / 0-)

Lukid-Betainu (31) + HaBayit HaYehudi (11) + Shas (11) + United Torah Judaism (7) = 62

Never underestimate stupid. Stupid is how reTHUGlicans win!

by Mannie on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 10:19:36 AM PST

•  um Mannie... your math is off (1+ / 0-)
          DEMonrat ankle biter

That is only 60.

Funny, I would like to see almost the opposite -

Yesh Atid (19), Labor (15), HaTanuah (6), Meretz (6), Kadima (2), Shas (11), and UTJ (7).

Honestly I would rather not have Shas or UTJ but that is the only way to get it done.

BUT my way is probably (well certainly) not going to happen.

What will probably happen is that Likud-Betainu will hold out a nice carrot for Lapid (Lieberman is saying they should give him the Finance Ministry), and Lapid (like Kadima and Labor before him) will go into coalition with Bibi actually thinking they are going to come away with something... And then - POW!!!! The Bibi pool of bullshit will swallow them, and NOTHING will get accomplished. Not Social Justice, not economic reform, not talks with the Palestinians. NOTHING. BUT Lapid will get the Finance Ministry.

"'Touch it dude' - President Barack Obama"

by volleyboy1 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 10:39:33 AM PST

•  darn, you are correct on my bad math (0+ / 0-)

make a concession to Kadima (2) (plush Ministry spot) to up my want to 62

Lukid-Betainu (31) + HaBayit HaYehudi (11) + Shas (11) + United Torah Judaism (7) + concession to Kadima (2)

And I don't understand why you stand for the parties that are much WEAKER on Israeli security and land.

Bibi while not perfect by any means (i.e. endorsing Shit Romney), is not as bad as you make him out to be.

Also I don't see Bibi (unlike the parties you mentioned) making another Oslo Accord mistake. (Which is why I favor a party like [name in English] ISRAEL OUR HOME who will stand up for the tough but needed choices)

Never underestimate stupid. Stupid is how reTHUGlicans win!

by Mannie on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 10:53:03 AM PST

•  I gotta disagree with you 100% here on a few (1+ / 0-)
              DEMonrat ankle biter

points.

First:

I would say the same to you.

The Habayit Hayehudi or Feiglin wing of the Likud propose a One State Solution that will radically change the very character of Israel and destroy whatever Jewish Majority there may be. UNLESS they either A. Carry out a massive campaign of ethnic cleansing or B. Simply disenfranchise most of the Arab populace in the West Bank. Either way, this is completely wrong and will lead to the eventual destruction of the State of Israel.

I am not sure how you can say that being isolated completely internationally (because that is what will happen, if Bennett or the Hard Right of Likud get their way), or pissing off BOTH the U.S. and the E.U. makes Israel safer.

In today's world, Israel is much safer with secure borders and a maintenance of its national values surrounding Jewish Democracy.

Now before you tell me all the things that the Arabs have done wrong and their maximalist demands (and I get that part of things), tell me how Israel is safer as a State that carries out either massive ethnic cleansing OR massive disenfranchisement. In the short run (5 years) maybe... but not in the long run.

As far as this:

I gotta disagree here as well... Bibi IS that bad. He has absolutely taken no stand on anything - the Occupation or anything else. Right now he is pulled in about three different direction and while he may talk a good game about some things, he does fuck all when it comes to doing them.

After the J14 rallies he talked about social justice and economic reform. How'd that work out? Oh right... it didn't. He just keeps tossing more and more to his rich friends.

After Bar-Ilan, he talked about a Two State Solution... So where is that at? He just keeps building and building, and his party moved to the Hard Right with One Staters Danon, and Feiglin.

When aligning with Kadima, he talked about spreading the "burdens" of society more equally. More a long the lines of the Haredi exemption from the IDF. How'd that work out? Oh Right... Kadima pulled out of the coalition and got exactly nothing.

Bibi, is that bad. He is isolating Israel internationally, he is not building up the economic side of things for all Israelis (so while numbers look OK, the wealth is concentrating at the top), and he is making no effort to solve some of the Social Justice problems his nation faces

And I most disagree here:

I don't think Oslo was a mistake. In my mind there has to be at least an attempt at negotiation. I recommend you read my piece I put up at Progressive Zionist a few days ago - it's long and you will probably disagree with it but that is how I feel.

Mannie, simply put, we are on different sides of the Israeli equation. I supported Labor and HaTanuah this election. Most of my friends supported Yesh Atid (who are about to go into coalition with Netanyahu and therefore make themselves irrelevant). / HaTanuah / Meretz.

"'Touch it dude' - President Barack Obama"

by volleyboy1 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 11:28:25 AM PST

•  You have a good heart, but reality sucks (0+ / 0-)
                Due to the nature of parliamentary rule, the leader will always be pulled in 3 or more directions.  Why single Bibi out for this?
                That is the nature of a politician. I can show you waht many here think are good democrats, yet they are beholden to Wall Street.  In this regard Bibi is no more better or worse than 90%+ of politicians.
                No one wants ethnic cleansing, but should the Palestinians choose to start something, you can NOT blame the defender (Israel) for winning a fight that the other one started.

Like I tell the anti-semetic repug at work about this issue (who only pretends to care about the Palestinians as long as they only kill those of us who would not belong to his countryclub).  If I walk up to you and suckerpunch you, then you beat me down mercilessly, did I deserve it? Yes!  Do I have a right to complain? NO!

Disenfranchise most of the Arab population & give them a territory without sovergn rights.  This can work without violence. Examples: Plenty of them, go visit a reservation. But in the case of the USA, we have it backwards. The USA put the true owners of the country in reservations & the thieves (and their descendents of which we are among those) have control. The solution proposed by the right in Israel would have the true owners of the land in control.

The Muslim population in the EU is growing. As such there will come a time when unless Israel lays down and surrenders, there won't be any support from the EU for Israel anyways. As for the US this issue will always be up/down depending on the politicians we elect.
                Oslo let more weapons into the PA, and as such they were used to fire at Israelis. Concessions were made by Israel, and all the PA did was take those, escalate violence, and demand more.

In my mind Oslo was an abject FAILURE.  If this is what is to come from negotiations, then I favor a unilateral move by Israel looking out for its best interests!

Never underestimate stupid. Stupid is how reTHUGlicans win!

by Mannie on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 12:24:12 PM PST

•  I completely disagree with this except for the (1+ / 0-)
                  DEMonrat ankle biter

part about my good heart ;-)

I wrote a really long response and my computer crapped it out. SO rather than write another one, I will just tell you that I disagree with almost every single thing you wrote here. Almost everything.

"'Touch it dude' - President Barack Obama"

by volleyboy1 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 01:09:19 PM PST

•  Wish I could've read it (2+ / 0-)
                    volleyboy1, DEMonrat ankle biter

I wrote a really long response and my computer crapped it out.

Garbage in garbage out, that is why your computer crapped it out! LOL :-P

Seriously, while it is obvious we don't agree, I do respect your opinions.  While they may be far from my own, you do put up well reasoned thought behind your opinions.

I disagree with almost every single thing you wrote here. Almost everything.
                    Even my part about politicians beholden to money?

Never underestimate stupid. Stupid is how reTHUGlicans win!

by Mannie on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 01:23:39 PM PST

•  Well there was even a point there. (1+ / 0-)
                      DEMonrat ankle biter

I agree that all Politicians are beholden to money, but, unlike your example of Democratic Politicians, I think Bibi is all fine about lining his folks pockets and doesn't care one whit for the poor. He is a classic Republican. I don't like them here and I don't like them for Israel.

"'Touch it dude' - President Barack Obama"

by volleyboy1 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 01:33:11 PM PST

•  hmm no alliance doesnt mean cant vote for new pm (1+ / 0-)
        volleyboy1

though right?

I mean the center center left could just say look arab bloc... we can't give you any political offices, power, whatever BUT better Us and our PM choice than how netanyahu will treat you

not sure im wording what im thinking properly/ making sense

•  oh and PS, read up on parl system and read (1+ / 0-)
          volleyboy1

that there is like a 6 week window for the majority to cobble together their coalition

6 weeks , ouch my head in trying to understand all the ins and outs of a parliamentary system over 6 weeks

•  It does in an American Sense but not in Israel (1+ / 0-)
          DEMonrat ankle biter

To them, everyone to the Right of Meretz (a very left/liberal party) is just as bad as Bibi (and to some, even Meretz is that as well). THAT is a major problem right there.

Things are very different there.

"'Touch it dude' - President Barack Obama"

by volleyboy1 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 01:42:32 PM PST