View Diary: Third Way fantasizes that Democrats want a more conservative Obama (181 comments)

•  I'm similar (2+ / 0-)
    Grabber by the Heel, manyamile

I resonate to a lot of what you wrote there.  I basically consider myself to be a moderate person and would be happy to see compromise if there were any sane Republicans to compromise with.  As we've seen, there aren't.  My other comment is that I used to believe that I had a lot in common with so-called "moderate" politicians, but during my close following of the health care legislative debacle I came to realize that many of these jackasses are not really moderate, they are corporatist shills, which is a distinction I had not appreciated earlier.

•  Well, glad that you make that distinction now. (0+ / 0-)

Because I assure you, when any pundit or news and/or business reporter, anchor, etc., uses the word "moderate"--it means corporatist.  Period.  Full stop.

No question that the Mainstream Media has been very effective in their use of the word "centrist or moderate."  And their only intent is to give "cover" to corporatist Dems and Repubs.  And mislead voters.

Sadly, tens of millions of folks fall for this line, and excitedly proclaim themselves to be "moderates."  With no understanding of the implications given to the word, by the mainstream corporate media.

Mollie

“If a dog won’t come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience.” -- Woodrow Wilson

by musiccitymollie on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 06:08:36 PM PST

•  Somehow... (2+ / 0-)
        musiccitymollie, HarpboyAK

...we need to get back to the place where having responsible, 'liberal' positions on issues is seen as 'moderate'.  Because, they are moderate in the sense that they are sane and reasonable and backed by a long American tradition of balancing the needs of the community against the rights of individuals (and corporations).

Obama is still my guy.

by AKguy on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 06:21:29 PM PST

•  Thank you, AKguy. Well put. BTW, if AK stands (1+ / 0-)
          HarpboyAK

for Alaska, 'Greetings' from a decade-long sourdough.  We loved the place, and only left due to a death in the family in the Lower 48 (and the need to help the remaining parent).

Our dear Springer Spaniel, 'Chena,' moved down with us at age 6 months, and lived for 17 more years.  We always said that she was "our little piece of Alaska."

Mollie

by musiccitymollie on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 06:44:17 PM PST

•  Left AK last July after 7 years... (0+ / 0-)

...now living on the central CA coast (sunshine in January!).  Can't say I'm missing 33 degrees and horizontal rain right now, but we do miss our friends up there, as well as the majestic wild beauty of it all.

Obama is still my guy.

by AKguy on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 06:52:07 PM PST

•  Fantastic. Oddly, I actually miss the weather. (0+ / 0-)

Our weather was dry-cold, so it wasn't that bad at all.  Which is strange since Mr. Mollie and I are not natives of northern tier states.

Ditto, to the majestic, breathtaking beauty of Alaska.  When we traveled the close to 800 miles to catch a ferry from Haines, Alaska to Bellingham, WA, we traveled through a Bald Eagle Preserve and several mountain passes that gave us 'chill bumps,' and literally drew out breath in awe (after 10 years, that's really saying something).

Nice to chat with someone from Alaska.

Namaste.

Mollie

by musiccitymollie on Tue Jan 22, 2013 at 07:19:55 PM PST

•  The drive from Haines... (0+ / 0-)

...to Haines Junction is breathtaking.  Ironically, I had no idea what it was like the first two times we did it, as it was so socked in all I could see was the highway in front of me.  Fortunately, we drove up to Anchorage and the Kenai a couple more times when the weather was kinder.

Most people in the lower 48 have no idea how vast and beautiful Alaska is.

But as compensation for leaving, we get to live where a hike in January can take you here:

Take care--