View Diary: Data Grab? Experian now controls web access to Social Security Admin (322 comments)

•  So what is your alternative? (2+ / 0-)
    FG, DRo

If Social Security offered online access to your earnings record based on you typing in your social security number, date of birth, and place of birth and that turned out to be insecure how would you feel?

The last thing SSA wants is for you to clog up their phone lines and/or waiting rooms.

The whole point of getting this stuff to work online is precisely to avoid the inconvenience of having to visit the office, which is why you have to have some adequate solution for providing security for people's private information.

Perhaps SSA takes this too seriously. After all, just a couple years ago they put all this information in plain white envelope and mailed it to you.

•  mailed it to you (4+ / 0-)
      fuzzyguy, gooderservice, poligirl, JesseCW

through what? A private company or the United States Postal system?

I shave my legs with Occam's razor~

by triv33 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 09:31:45 AM PST

•  Does it matter? Mail is not exactly the most (0+ / 0-)

secure thing in the universe. And it has nothing to do with USPS. People can just pick a mailbox.

•  ? (4+ / 0-)
          DRo, poligirl, JesseCW, gooderservice

Um, let me explain. I'm saying that it is one US government agency (SS) handing my info to another US government entity (USPS) instead of Johnny Fly-By-Night bike messenger. You seem to be saying it doesn't matter a tinker's damn either way, that the mail might as well be Johnny-Fly-By-Night, but that's not the point, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish, and I'm not here to talk about fish. I'm talking about my government info not being outsourced to a private company.

I shave my legs with Occam's razor~

by triv33 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 10:20:36 AM PST

•  If SSA can't create a secure web site, they have (3+ / 0-)
      triv33, gooderservice, poligirl

no business being around.

•  Do you work for Experian? (6+ / 0-)

From your posts above, are you saying that Experian is the only online authentication available to the Soc Sec admin?

Does Experian handle all of the authentication for banks, utilities, and other business transactions that are done online?

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 09:42:38 AM PST

•  No, I don't work for Experian or SSA (0+ / 0-)

If you think Experian is a lousy company to do this then you should tell us who does it better.

I have no idea about that.

But whether Experian has errors in their database, or they choose too many unreliable questions as the basis to verify who you are, it has nothing to do with some private company getting access to your social security records. It has nothing to do with the government collecting additional data they have no business collecting.

If everyone had retina scanners in their home, and the government had a database of everyone's retina the answer would be easy.

Alternatively, you could suggest SSA lower it's security standards.

•  ok, i will tell ya. let's take a little of the... (8+ / 0-)

drone money, or DoD money and make SS's system secure instead of farming it out to a company that known for fuckups.

but don't tell me the gov't can't do it. they can and they should. period. this is one of those jobs that gov't should be the only one doing.

There’s a word for the people who keep complaining that the “ideologues” are getting in their way: Lobbyists. ~ RJ Eskow

by poligirl on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 11:07:54 AM PST

•  going further, i want to see the competitive... (6+ / 0-)

bid records for this contract, if there indeed was one or if Experian didn't just grease some wheels to get it, no bid necessary.

if it was a no bid situation, we need to stop that bullshit - that's on the level of Dick fucking Cheney/Halliburton crap and i expect this gov't to do a LOT better than that.

by poligirl on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 11:10:03 AM PST

•  Well, I did ask (6+ / 0-)

who provides the authentication for other online services.

I bank online.  Does experian handle all the banks?  I pay electric, phone, internet, water, and credit cards online.  Does experian handle all of those, too?  And I have a couple of retirement accounts at different trustees--does experian handle those?

You make it sound like experian is the only game in town, so I was just asking.

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 11:10:47 AM PST

•  The California DMV can do their own on-line (1+ / 0-)
            gooderservice

verification.

The IRS can verify me and process my lil' 1040 EZ over the phone.

The EDD can handle my UI application on-line all by themselves like big kids.

But not Social Security.  They need Experian.

"I have often seen people uncivil by too much civility, and tiresome in their courtesy." Michel de Montaigne

by JesseCW on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 11:41:15 AM PST

•  SSA takes applications online already (0+ / 0-)

They are using Experian to authenticate people for an on-going suite of services organized under the MySSA web portal. E.g. access to your earnings history  This is not the same as applying for benefits online which you can do now without the Experian verification screen.

There is no argument that SSA is a very conservative organization that has primarily provided in-person service for 75 years. They are slow in getting to the new world. They are deathly afraid of compromising personal data, especially online. Less so than mailing a check to the wrong person, frankly.

•  Well letting people at least have something to (1+ / 0-)
      gooderservice

drink so they can take their medication would help.  Not to mention oh, actually calling people back like they promise to?

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 10:10:27 AM PST