View Diary: Cat grabber proposes assault pootie ban in New Zealand (106 comments)

•  Too bad I'm an actual biologist. (0+ / 0-)

YES WE DID -- AGAIN. FOUR MORE YEARS.

by raincrow on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 05:49:28 PM PST

•  My apologies (0+ / 0-)

but the work on ferals (which invariably result from domestics) doesn't square with that.  However, I notice that I missed that you implicitly acknowledge that.  I have done to much skirmishing with cat ladies feeding ferals on the theory that the poor little kitties couldn't possibly do any harm.  I've gotten far too knee jerk from that.

The bib is a great idea.  Cheaper than declawing also

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescendibles.

by Mindful Nature on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 06:12:37 PM PST

•  Declawing = amputation of the fingertips (0+ / 0-)

Declawed human, fully healed but with no floofy fur to hide the amputations:

YES WE DID -- AGAIN. FOUR MORE YEARS.

by raincrow on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 06:58:35 PM PST

•  Hmm. (0+ / 0-)

I hadn't realized that the last bone is removed also.  The bibs are useful but aren't permanent, impossible to enforce, and require too much active participation by owners. Of course it does nothing about the ferals, which are the real problem. If declawing is also not an option, then, perhaps the banning of cats is the only really reasonable option.

So, it would seem that the damage of cats to avifauna can't be avoided by any practical means other than a ban.

by Mindful Nature on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 07:09:51 PM PST

•  No, just the 1st joint. This was the most polite (0+ / 0-)

and uniform pic I could find on short notice. It is outright mutilation, cats suffer significant post-operative depression that can last well over a year, it is even more horrible than docking dogs' ears and tails.

YES WE DID -- AGAIN. FOUR MORE YEARS.

by raincrow on Wed Jan 23, 2013 at 08:55:50 PM PST

•  Actually (0+ / 0-)

I found plenty of good sources about cats from vets about it.   Still I'm not convinced it is t the best option short of an outright ban on cats

by Mindful Nature on Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 07:09:57 AM PST