View Diary: GOP launches internet 'survey' to figure out what went wrong (194 comments)

•  Which, by the way, is unkind to Leonin, Perotin, (2+ / 0-)
    commonmass, Wee Mama

anon, anon, and all those other wonderful 13th cy composers.

In times like these, we cannot make too much music.

by ProvokingMeaning on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:31:03 AM PST

•  I happen to be a big fan of organum, so I suppose (3+ / 0-)
      ProvokingMeaning, Wee Mama, Aunt Pat

you're correct. What a crappy thing to say about Leonin and Perotin. I had a friend years ago who had two cats named Leonin and Perotin. Talk about organum!

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:32:33 AM PST

•  Same here, CM. Organum clearly underrated. (3+ / 0-)
        commonmass, Wee Mama, Aunt Pat

Is Dave in Northridge looking for a music diary?

In times like these, we cannot make too much music.

by ProvokingMeaning on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:33:42 AM PST

•  I don't know, and I have been talking to him (5+ / 0-)

on the telephone lately. I'll ask. One of these day's I'm going to write one, but you guys do such a great job I just enjoy reading them. There are some serious classical music people here.

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:35:26 AM PST

•  I'm just a kibitzer. But YOU should write one (2+ / 0-)
            commonmass, Aunt Pat

about Titcomb ... and another on Healey Willan.

In times like these, we cannot make too much music.

by ProvokingMeaning on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:39:10 AM PST

•  Well, you know that I have half a biography (3+ / 0-)
              ProvokingMeaning, Aunt Pat, Amber6541

of Everett Titcomb written, with some pretty amazing primary source material including a wonderful interview with Nancy Plummer Faxon--herself an accomplished composer and organist, though sadly she has left us. Titcomb's personal copy of The English Hymnal (1906) sits on my desk.

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:42:49 AM PST

•  No, i did NOT. This is DMA dissertation stuff, (3+ / 0-)
                commonmass, Wee Mama, Amber6541

Will'm. Do you have enough right now to write a really substantive article for the Choral Journal? Or do a presentation at the Northeast ACDA in 2014? Both would be very well received, I am sure.

My bona fides aren't nearly as fun as yours. But my copy of the English Hymnal (and my copy of Julian) came from one of Tertius Noble's most interesting students, a millionaire named Lee Hastings Bristol, Jr., heir to the Bristol-Myers fortune, who was a fine composer (Dickinson College 8.8.8.8) and who pretty much single-handedly saved Westminster Choir College by paying all faculty salaries for  five years after becoming its president in the 1960s.

Apologies to gentle readers for going seriously OT here!

In times like these, we cannot make too much music.

by ProvokingMeaning on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:49:11 AM PST

•  My friend in Boston, the mezzo Jane Struss, (11+ / 0-)

inherited T. Tertius Noble's deck chairs. No kidding.

If I got to work on it again, I actually have a book, but an article could be easily put together. I've been asked to do that by the Academy of St. Cecilia (of which I am a fellow). The best articles you can get were published in TAO about fifteen years ago or so. I have read the author's dissertation from which they were drawn. However, further articles are certainly needed. He doesn't even have a Wikipedia page, last time I checked. Perhaps the fact that I also was once organist at St. John's Bowdoin Street gives me a unique perspective, that and the fact that I did--with permission--edit several of his Masses (not for publication) to update them for modern English and use at St. John's. Perhaps his greatest student, the late Sally Slade Warner, pronounced them excellent and gave her support to the project.

Perhaps I need a diversion from the current sadness going on in our household, though, I must say that GMB02 is doing much better today and there is a possibility that he will soon be able to breathe on his own. The dialysis, however, will continue for the foreseeable future, as will his stay in the ICU.

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:57:21 AM PST

•  I also have, in my banker's boxes of Titcomb (1+ / 0-)
              ProvokingMeaning

source material tons of copies of manuscript scores (his musical calligraphy was truly meticulous, kind of like Bach's but even easier to read) and a signed copy of the only comprehensive biographical study of Titcomb, by his lover of nearly 50 years, Chester Bonney. Bonney never published it, sadly. His love and respect for Dr. Titcomb* is evident in the MS, as is his musical understanding of Titcomb's goal of writing a modern yet historically informed kind of polyphonic motet which was useful and accessible.

*Titcomb's D.Mus was honorary, from the Nashotah House seminary. Titcomb held instructor and professorial positions at a number of institutions, including New England Conservatory and Boston University, but he himself never attended college.

OK. I'll stop hijacking this diary, because it's a good diary. You're right, I should write something.

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:50:42 AM PST

•  How is it that it's so easy here on DK (4+ / 0-)

for things to turn into an undergraduate music history survey course at the drop of a hat? I'll bet there's at least ten Kossacks on line RIGHT NOW who own a copy of Grout's History of Western Music. LOL.

What is truth? -- Pontius Pilate

by commonmass on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:33:52 AM PST

•  My fave is Grout's "Short" History of Opera, (4+ / 0-)
        Wee Mama, commonmass, Aunt Pat, Bisbonian

which is about twice as long as his History of Western Music.

and I'd guess there are at least as many online right now who are original owners of both volumes of the Historical Anthology of Music ... with lots of marks in the margins. You can pry mine out of my cold, dead hands.

In times like these, we cannot make too much music.

by ProvokingMeaning on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:37:02 AM PST