View Diary: Midday open thread (114 comments)

•  Seriously, you're defending spitting on vets? (0+ / 0-)

What an enlightened view.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 12:40:27 PM PST

•  I think it was a snark. But you missed it. I (4+ / 0-)
      dinotrac, PSzymeczek, mgoodm, DuzT

should have tagged it.  I usually do when emotions are high and snarks are missed.

My gun control petition was shot down.

by 88kathy on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 12:43:06 PM PST

•  Fair enough. Snark tags spoil the fun. (2+ / 0-)
        PSzymeczek, DuzT

Better to risk a few people who aren't sure, like me.

Some of us were around a lot of vets while Vietnam was winding down, and such things did happen and some people really had no problem with it.

So -- sorry I jumped on you.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 12:47:31 PM PST

•  Spitting on Vets = Urban Myth. (2+ / 0-)
          88kathy, Ender

I have never seen anything even close to proof that this ever occurred.

Nuclear Reactor = Dirty Bomb

by olo on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 02:40:43 PM PST

•  It did. (1+ / 0-)
            slowbutsure

I take it you weren't there.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 02:48:23 PM PST

•  I was. The Old Guard did a parade in Seattle. (0+ / 0-)

There was a small protest.  No spitting.  One loud girl, for the cameras.

My gun control petition was shot down.

by 88kathy on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 04:22:28 PM PST

•  I lived in DC and my mother volunteered (0+ / 0-)

at Walter Reed.
                We spent a lot of time with Viet vets, mostly those coming back less than whole.

I heard of spitting, but only saw shouting and obnoxious behavior up close and personal.  To people in wheelchairs, on crutches, missing arms, eyes, etc.

Class.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 04:46:52 PM PST

•  The protest wasn't against the soldiers. It was (0+ / 0-)

FOR the cameras.

It could have happened but I seriously doubt it was organized or often.  But you have to remember that the Vietnam vets were NOT allowed into the VFW, either.  The WW2 vets did not like the Vietnam vets, they thought they were hippies.

There was a great big dividing line then and it wasn't red and blue.  It was old and young.  The soldiers were young.  The hippies were young.  The WW2 vets were on the other side.

There was no spitting in Seattle, in a parade, with many soldiers, less than a dozen vocal protesters.  They weren't saying anything at all to the soldiers.  They were shouting at the cameras that were covering the parade.

My gun control petition was shot down.

by 88kathy on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 06:03:10 PM PST

•  You personally saw hippie protesters screaming at (0+ / 0-)

disabled vets.  That is about the most far fetched thing I have ever heard.

My gun control petition was shot down.

by 88kathy on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 06:11:22 PM PST

•  "Hippie protesters"? (0+ / 0-)

I don't know what you'd call them.
                    I sure as hell wouldn't call them protesters.

A protest is a coherent thing, not plain nastiness.

I took part in many protests.
                    I don't remember taking anything out on the people who served us, regardless of my feeling wrt the cause itself.

Well...

I will admit to some unkind words for a few police officers, but they were chasing us down with big fucking sticks (aka riot batons) and tear gas.

LG: You know what? You got spunk. MR: Well, Yes... LG: I hate spunk!

by dinotrac on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 07:11:30 PM PST

•  Obnoxious Behavior (0+ / 0-)

Kill Anything that Moves:

what American forces actually were doing in Vietnam.  [...] Turse discovers that episodes of devastation, murder, massacre, rape, and torture once considered isolated atrocities were in fact the norm, adding up to a continuous stream of atrocity, unfolding, year after year, throughout that country.

Compared to the neverending atrocities US forces wreaked on millions of Vietnamese for a generation, shouting and obnoxious behavior seems a poor substitute for jailing them for war crimes.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

by DocGonzo on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 07:21:54 AM PST

•  You Were? (0+ / 0-)

Who spit on whom in front of you?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST