View Diary: For Me, Gun Control Is Personal. Very Personal. (274 comments)

•  Your three comments here spew nothing... (7+ / 0-)

but arrogant nastiness. You have EXACTLY the type of self-absorbed, gun embracing narrow mindedness that everyone here is talking about. Your attitude is selfish and defensive. Good. You should be defensive. You're defending a rationale that has no place in this or any Other society.

I'm so sick and tired of having futile conversations with people such as you. You have no f**cking idea what you're talking about. You only know what you want at the expense of civilized society.

"It doesn't matter whether you win or lose. It's how you ladle the gravy." - Felix Ungar

by Verbalpaintball on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 06:23:38 AM PST

•  He forgot to say "guns don't kill ..." n/t (2+ / 0-)
      lyvwyr101, WakeUpNeo

Then they came for me - and by that time there was nobody left to speak up.

by DefendOurConstitution on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:38:01 AM PST

•  We aren't a civilized society hence the reliance (2+ / 0-)
      WakeUpNeo, ChurchofBruce

On killing machines. We don't play citizen on the TV either.

•  My RIGHTS are at issue here (1+ / 0-)
      BlackSheep1

...and you're calling me "selfish"? You're the one seeking to take something from me when I did NOTHING wrong. Of course I'm defensive!

You claim my rights have "no place in this or any Other society" and come "at the expense of civilized society" when you've failed to establish how they affect you in any way whatsoever except your philosophical opposition or personal morality. It's eerily reminiscent of the arguments against gay marriage, they can't explain how what strangers they'll never meet do in their private lives has any effect on them but they're all fired up to restrict them!

What I do or do not own does not affect you, society, or anyone else in any way UNLESS I choose to commit a crime. Until I cross that line, I remain a free citizen and you have no standing to compel me to change to suit your whims. Deal with it.

"Is there anybody listening? Is there anyone who sees what's going on? Read between the lines, criticize the words they're selling. Think for yourself, and feel the walls become sand beneath your feet." --Geoff Tate, Queensryche

by DarthMeow504 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 01:19:04 PM PST

•  Excuse me? (3+ / 0-)
        Recall, ChurchofBruce, Smoh
        I don't have to establish anything to you, you nastly little wretch. 20 CHILDREN WERE KILLED BY AN AUTOMATIC WEAPON ONE MONTH AGO, INCLUDING THE DAUGHTER OF ONE OF MY FRIENDS.

Yet, your great concern throughout all this is your own lame "gun rights." It is your lack of empathy, and that of people like you, that means we should be expediting gun control.

You're whining because I'm suggesting we "take something from you?"

WHAT WAS TAKEN BY ALL THE PARENTS IN CONNECTICUT? IS THAT LESS IMPORTANT THAN YOUR PATHETIC ARGUMENT ABOUT OWNING A FIREARM.

You are pathetic. Your argument's pathetic - and you are far too immature, paranoid and ignorant to own a gun.

by Verbalpaintball on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 02:23:04 PM PST

•  Why blame me? (1+ / 0-)
          ban nock

I did nothing to anyone, not in Connecticut or anyone else. Nothing I owned or intend to own did any harm to anyone. Why are you going after me and my things and my rights? I did nothing. What I do or do not own is none of your damned business.

I had NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with this tragedy and you have no right to penalize me over it. I'm sorry this happened, but I'm not going to submit to your desire to scapegoat me and millions of other people who did nothing to deserve it.

Do you understand this? I'm not a criminal, I'm not a perpetrator of violence, and I've done nothing to anyone. I'm not giving you a damned thing of mine no matter how much you claim it's "for the children".

A murderer committed a heinous massacre with a stolen weapon. Attacking me and my rights and property will not change that, will not benefit the victims, and will not prevent any other crimes. Your proposed course of action would solve nothing.

Just because you are aggrieved does not give you the right to come after me and take things from me. I didn't do anything. I do not deserve to be punished and I refuse to accept it.

Also, your insults are disgusting and unbecoming of an enlightened debate. Ad hominem attacks and appeals to emotion do not serve your case.

My answer remains no. Good day to you, sir or madam.

by DarthMeow504 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 08:08:58 PM PST

•  You did nothing? (2+ / 0-)
            Smoh, BlackSheep1

Rather than trying to look for ways to have some measure of gun control - or at the very least a ban on semi-automatic weapons - you and your ilk (NRA members, gun enthusiasts, etc.) see this all as a catalyst to strengthen your resolve that nobody should be hampered in their attempt to have a gun that shoots 30 rounds in a second.

You're on the wrong side of this argument, man, and you just don't see it. Maybe because its still just theory to you.

I've seen a little to much to be able to comfortably fold myself into discussing "theory" of gun control.

Pistol for the house. Rifle if you live in the midwest and shoot for food.

If you shoot for sport, no. If you buy for hobby, no. This is not a sport or a hobby.

by Verbalpaintball on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 06:47:48 AM PST

•  That's your opinion. I disagree. (0+ / 0-)

To many people, shooting or collecting ARE hobbies and a sport, and it's not your right to tell them otherwise so long as they aren't harming anyone.

Moreover, a ban on semi-automatics is utterly ridiculous and will never fly. Do you even know what "semi-automatic" means? Most firearms in existence are semi-automatic, it means they fire once per trigger pull and are loaded with an external magazine. It's the most basic type of firearms technology there is and has been in existence since the turn of the 19th century. And they don't fire "30 rounds a second", that's utterly impossible for a semi-automatic weapon. Clearly you don't know the difference between semi-automatic and fully automatic, and yet you want to set policy on things you clearly don't have the first clue about.

Your ignorant, emotionally derived notion of what is "reasonable" and "common sense" is nothing of the sort and will not only be ineffective in solving the problems you're seeking to tackle, they'll also create far more problems than they solve. You;d set up a prohibition regime that would criminalize ordinary citizens, waste huge amounts of resources, and empower and enrich a black market that would be a nightmare. if you think the War on Drugs has been a debacle, just wait. A War on Guns will make it look like a walk in the park.

Don't say you weren't warned.

by DarthMeow504 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 08:57:32 PM PST

•  oops, end of the 19th century n/t (0+ / 0-)

by DarthMeow504 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 08:58:30 PM PST

• Labor (19)
  • Environment (18)
  • Politics (17)
  • Texas (17)
  • 2016 (16)
  • Media (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site