View Diary: Newtown? Sandy Hook? Call it 12/14 (141 comments)

•  and by that I mean (34+ / 0-)

play nice ;-)

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

by Greg Dworkin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 04:32:26 PM PST

•  This makes special sense to me. (7+ / 0-)

In 1989, there was violence at...the Super Bowl? I think it was, and the resulting sturm und drang caused economic damage to the area in question. I was watching coverage of that and they were interviewing some vendor who says, "It's not like this stuff doesn't happen other places. Look at Stockton, California!" which is where I'm from.
      So I can kinda relate to this.

"Everything I do is blown out of proportion. It really hurts my feelings." - Paris Hilton

by kestrel9000 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 08:10:35 AM PST

•  sadly the problem is that mass murder (4+ / 0-)
        a2nite, Cali Scribe, mcmom, drmah

is becoming common enough that there may not be enough days in the year to commemorate all of them and it would be criminal to exclude any of them.

Perhaps it is just my perception but does anyone have any stats on the number of mass murders vs a century or 50 years ago?

•  Murder in America is really bad (8+ / 0-)
          a2nite, mcmom, Janet 707, LeftOfYou, Tommye, MJB, BYw, koNko

when the only murders worth discussing involve multiple bodies, especially in upper class white neighborhoods.

That in itself is a major symptom of too damned many guns floating around in the hands of idiots and ignorant frightened people.

These people are dying as sacrifices so that the gun manufacturers can sell more guns. Guns for the consumer market create a real marketing problem for the manufacturers. A gun is a permanent thing. It doesn't wear out. No "planed obsolescence." Once you build and sell a gun, that market is filled.

So the market has to be expanded. How? Make people afraid and offer more guns as totems to reduce their fear.

Guns are merely totems because even in the hands of professionals guns rarely protect anyone. More guns cannot protect people from guns and more guns. A gun in a holster is nothing more than a symbol of intimidation.

The NRA is the gun manufacturer's organization to stoke that fear. But the mass of unnecessary guns across the nation is the core of the problem, along with the profit-making organizations that make and sell the guns.

The US Supreme Court has by its actions and rhetoric has ceased to be legitimate. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - over

by Rick B on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 10:25:15 AM PST

•  Remember when Cronkite ended his (9+ / 0-)

program with how many days we had been in Vietnam? It  went a long way in changing the minds of many about the war. If the mainstream media (NBC seems most likely) would just say how many were killed at home (US) by guns the previous day, it might help to keep the carnage in the minds of our easily-distracted populace. Of course, that is just a hope from me, as I abhor physical violence of any kind, regardless of whether it involves guns, other weapons, or a parent's hand.

I think, therefore I am. I think.

by mcmom on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 11:37:17 AM PST

•  Some Chicago papers have done this (5+ / 0-)

and public awareness that this is a daily tragedy, a continuing assault on our communities and neighborhoods, and nationwide, a shame we'd rather ignore than face up to, because of the messy bigotries in poverty, gender and race politics.

The raw facts of dozens of gun deaths and injuries daily and weekly spread across every state and city in this country is kept out of the conversation even when our hearts are broken by these precious six and seven year olds, and their teachers.

But there are many, many innocents among the fallen elsewhere, including children, and it's only because they're not concentrated in a supposedly safe suburban grade school, and massacred en masse, that we think we can ignore them.  But the truth is more difficult than that - it's about the other values we hold, the ones I mentioned, where we ignore some communities and some problems because "those people" are just too difficult to help.

We really need to examine ALL our biases and values if what we decide and act upon is to have lasting value here...

"There is power in speaking up. We know the face of unfettered gun proliferation. Now it’s time to see more faces of regulation and restraint." - Charles Blow

by Beastly Fool on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 12:37:02 PM PST

•  I really don't think there is much chance of (8+ / 0-)

this 12/14 reference catching on.  The media hasn't picked up on it, and even if they do the public already has "Newtown" or "Sandy Hook" embedded in their brains relative to the tragedy.  If 12/14 is used in conversation with the general public the image of the tragedy, where they were when they heard about it and how it affected them will be lost on them.

I'm sorry Newtown doesn't want to be singled out as the face of tragedy for the horrific events that day - I certainly understand that - but they're going to have to accept the reference.  Perhaps it can be turned into a positive reference as the face of impetus for rational gun control finally being enacted in this country.

"In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican." - H. L. Mencken

by SueDe on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 09:48:42 AM PST

•  Thank you for posting this... (12+ / 0-)

Greg, the reference to 12/14 may serve a purpose of "de-town"ing, and it may seem to lean in the direction of de-personalizing it. But the reality is that 12/14 was a national tragedy, it was our national heart that was broken. We each have a personal response to it, the neuro-motor memory of our place, our responses, the deepening sense of loss. All of that. Continuing to use the term "Newtown" means it happened somewhere else, a place other than my own, other than me, in a way.

So, give it to us all. Let's take it. Let's own it. We are all connected to it, whether we like it or not.

•  How do you bring someone like Wayne LaPierre (3+ / 0-)
      Janet 707, drmah, LeftOfYou

into a "both sides" discussions of guns? He does represent the largest and most prominent "gun owners" group in the country. How do you integrate his viewpoints? I'm just asking because I don't know. He seems a bit intransigent.

Jon Husted is a dick.

by anastasia p on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 10:59:48 AM PST

•  I'd skip him (3+ / 0-)
        belle1, drmah, alice kleeman

And talk directly to members.

by Greg Dworkin on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 11:49:40 AM PST

•  Not sure I agree. (0+ / 0-)
          I'd skip him
          As quoted by the OP, Mr. Makris of SHP says:
          We're saying we need dialogue with people to see where is the resistance
          The NRA is a major stakeholder in this debate and should be engaged by those who support reforming America's tragically failed gun policies. If the NRA wants to try defending the indefensible public health and public safety costs of gun policy failure, let them.

Aren't you glad that the clueless won't get a chance to run the country again, just yet? Yeah. Me too.

by LeftOfYou on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 01:24:12 PM PST