View Diary: Doomsday Preppers (55 comments)

•  That is quite the comment! (8+ / 0-)

But I feel you. The thing is,

I expect future seasons of Doomsday Preppers will catch on to this and the extreme disasters scenarios of prepping for meteor strikes, viral pandemics, and post nuclear war survival will be replaced by shows about how average citizens will struggle to be able to find food, water, shelter, and basic health care for every day life, as much of our poorest, elderly, and sick, already do.
    ...that's never gonna happen. These reality TV producers aren't gonna sign off on that. They want more idiots like the guy who blew his thumb off. That's what they think we want.

Being prepared is a good thing. Waiting for the destruction of societal norms so that you can use your cache of weapons against other people is not to be applauded. That's my beef with this stuff. The "I got mine, screw everyone else" attitude of these *ssholes.

"What would men be without women? Scarce, sir, mighty scarce." -Mark Twain

by jared the bassplayer on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 01:18:50 PM PST

•  You make excellent points in this regard, Jared. (5+ / 0-)

You are probably right about doubting National Geographic will pick up more liberal themes in future seasons. In this regard I'll confess to getting carried away in an excess snarkiness - caught in an improbable web of cynicism and optimism mixed up in an rhetorical flourish, as I often do.

So, why don't you, or someone, start a liberal progressive variation of Doomsday Preppers - maybe called Everyday Preppers  for the Common People - which emphasized the development of volunteer community health care, like blood pressure and diabetes screening for the poor.

After this comment, I remembered the Cuban community based, grass roots,  health care model that I have vague memories of reading gives Cuba higher scores than the US on many basic health measures.  But I may be mistaken.

Now that your post as generated such good conversation I need to go back and tip and rec it.

Thanks jared.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi

by HoundDog on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 01:44:30 PM PST

•  "Liberal Themes" (1+ / 0-)
        jared the bassplayer

The communitarian approach to disaster preparedness is not a "liberal theme" as the "Doomsday Preppers" are not really playing out a "conservative theme."   The communitarian approach is actually what works and the "Doomsday Prepper" ideal is basically paranoid nihilism rather than any kind of coherent conservatism.

I've been following this TV perversion of preparedness for awhile now and wrote a diary about it here:

There are a wide variety of ways the theme of preparedness could be shown on TV that built real emergency capacity and reduced paranoia.  Most of those ways could be entertaining as well with intelligent production and writing but NatGeo and TLC  (with their show on "Doomsday Bunkers") are not interested.

Truth be told, PBS isn't much interested either.  Witness the paucity of sustainable energy renovations for most of the run of "This Old House."

But then, I believe Solar IS Civil Defense:

Solar is civil defense. Video of my small scale solar experiments at solarray.

by gmoke on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 02:23:19 PM PST

•  There's already a liberal prepper group (2+ / 0-)
        Pluto, chimene

All knowledge is worth having. Check out OctopodiCon to support steampunk learning and fun. Also, on DKos, check out the Itzl Alert Network.

by Noddy on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 02:29:24 PM PST

•  Well thank you. (0+ / 0-)

Once again, I'm impressed by the depth of intelligence of the DK posts. And the broader conversations in the comments. Pretty cool. I always do find it fascinating what people write in.

"What would men be without women? Scarce, sir, mighty scarce." -Mark Twain

by jared the bassplayer on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 02:51:40 PM PST

•  Not so much about liberal themes (0+ / 0-)

as it is about the producers wanting to show a crisis, even if it means they have to provoke a crisis.

I worked as a PA and an armorer on a movie shoot while a reality TV show was being shot around us. The producers made sure to fuck with our shoot any way they could, so they could get good footage for their show at the expense of our movie. They failed, because our director was a clever bastard.

That said, I could see a producer doing a TV show about poor Americans trying to get food and water ten years from now. One might argue that shows like Moonshiners and Here Comes Honey Boo Boo show this now.

‎"Masculinity is not something given to you, but something you gain. And you gain it by winning small battles with honor." - Norman Mailer
        My Blog
        My wife's woodblock prints

by maxomai on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 04:37:34 PM PST

•  I watch the moonshiners show, and the one old (0+ / 0-)

fellow once described how without moonshine a lot of the old timer could not have fed their families.  He said they whip up a batch of shine and get a dollar with which they would buy groceries which they could not get any other way.

The means is the ends in the process of becoming. - Mahatma Gandhi