View Diary: Stan The Man (31 comments)

•  When I was 15. (10+ / 0-)
    When I was a tyke, Dad and I would go to games at the old Sportsmans Park in north St. Louis.
    For three years, I had worked weekends and Summers at a large pet boarding and grooming facility in West St. Louis County. There were over 100 kennels and runs for dogs, dozens of cat habitats and a four table grooming facility that that seemed always full and buzy. The owners were renowned as among the finest Cocker Spaniel breeders and showed dogs at all the top shows, including the Westminster Kennel Club, every year. They were also Cardinal season ticket holders.

In the Summer of 1964, the wealthy dowager of an old line St. Louis candy company brought her pampered buff cocker in for a bath and trim. Actually, she had a matching set of them. What we didn't know was that she had left her other dog out in the car when she brought in the 1st.

I was the kid who, when the distraught old lady told us what had happened, ran out to her car, extracted the hyerthermic and unconscious pet, and ran him to the bathing tub where I revived the in a cool water bath.  That got me one of the boss's tickets to Game 2 of the 1964 World Series against the Yankees at Sportsman's Park. Also, from then on, until I left for college, I got a case of candy every Christmas.

Aren't you glad that the clueless won't get a chance to run the country again, just yet? Yeah. Me too.

by LeftOfYou on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 12:53:10 PM PST

•  too bad...they won in '64, Stan retired in '63 (2+ / 0-)
      pittie70, Cali Scribe

Would have loved to have seen him in the World Series.

•  What a great story. I was working in Clayton at (2+ / 0-)
      Shahryar, Cali Scribe

the time of the '64 series and our GM sent a half dozen of us to his wonderful old house to watch the game.  Food and drink.  Wonderful day!  At that time I had a red LeMans convertible and if I didn't have a date I liked to drive around (a then pretty spare) St. Charles county with the top down and a Cardinal game blasting.  Loved, loved it.  I only went to one game at the then new Busch stadium on the night before I left for Houston (August 1966).  Now that one is gone too.  Frankly, I much preferred Sportsmans Park.

""How long does getting thin take?" Pooh asked anxiously." -- A. A. Milne

by pittie70 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 01:30:49 PM PST

•  Sportsman's park (2+ / 0-)
        pittie70, Cali Scribe

had a lot of pillars. I'm not quite sure what the excuse was for replacing the round Busch with the new one, though.

Michael Weissman UID 197542

by docmidwest on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 01:39:18 PM PST

•  Have no idea what the new one looks like but I (2+ / 0-)
          LeftOfYou, Cali Scribe

hope I can get to a game sometime this summer.  My sister and BIL make it into St. Louis for a game a couple of times a year, so maybe I can tag along.  We are in Columbia, about 125 miles west of StL, so going to a game is never a spur of the moment thing.

""How long does getting thin take?" Pooh asked anxiously." -- A. A. Milne

by pittie70 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 01:53:37 PM PST

•  The New Park is Wonderful. (2+ / 0-)
            pittie70, Cali Scribe

In 2007, I drove down from Chicago to attend the funeral of my only 1st cousin on my mother's side of the family in Washington, MO. I drove directly from the funeral to the new ballpark where, still dressed in a black suit, I attended a game against the Astros.  That was the first time, but I have enjoyed games there once or twice a season since. A game at Busch Stadium is not to be missed.

by LeftOfYou on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 02:29:05 PM PST

•  Well, I hope I get the chance. The various family (1+ / 0-)
              Cali Scribe

members who go to the games drive from Columbia, park, and take light rail to the ball park.  Heck, I'd go just to get to ride the train!  Re the Astros.  I became a supporter (not a real Cardinal-like fan) in the early 1980s.  I loved the Astrodome: it was a wonderful place for football and baseball, easy to get around in (unlike the Super Dome, which is a whole other story), comfortable.  It is such a shame that it has been totally abandoned and deteriorated beyond repair.  I understand they will soon tear it down.

""How long does getting thin take?" Pooh asked anxiously." -- A. A. Milne

by pittie70 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 at 03:09:46 PM PST

•  It is a great stadium, but (1+ / 0-)
              Cali Scribe

it cost a lot of taxpayer dollars, and the older one was already pretty nice.

Michael Weissman UID 197542