View Diary: Brothers and Sisters: Change, Reflection and Rebirth (83 comments)

•  Prayers for a friend of my family. (7+ / 0-)

She just had her first baby, and there are medical problems with the little one due to some of the circumstances of the birth. No risk to life that they know of.

It's going to be months before they know the extent and permanence of what's happened.

Prayers and best wishes to those in Japan.

by Cassandra Waites on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 07:08:37 PM PST

•  Prayers. (7+ / 0-)

Are they aware of Early Intervention and the help they can offer? They begin to offer developmental help, OT, PT, Speech Therapy, feeding therapies, etc. from birth for free. Sometimes doctors do not refer families for these services, which can be very helpful.

Peace, Hope, Faith, Love

by mapamp on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 07:24:14 PM PST

•  Yes - Early Intervention (7+ / 0-)

does assessment/evaluation in the home and most services occur at home until age 3.  I know some of the workers in this area and am certain they are loving and offer tons of support and encouragement to parents.

The truth always matters.

by texasmom on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 07:35:18 PM PST

•  In this case, the baby hasn't come home yet. (7+ / 0-)

And won't be for quite a while, if I understand correctly. They're apparently transferring to a kid's hospital that has a family live-in arrangement available for sick babies.

Prayers and best wishes to those in Japan.

by Cassandra Waites on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 07:41:19 PM PST

•  I wonder if the Early Intervention (6+ / 0-)

team has services to counsel parents in this situation.  My understanding of EI doesn't go that far, I'm afraid.  I'm glad there is a live-in arrangement possible so they can be together.

Will keep the family and wee baby in my prayers.

The truth always matters.

by texasmom on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 07:46:27 PM PST

•  Early Intervention (6+ / 0-)

will sometimes help, even when a child is not yet home.

I'm glad there is a family friendly place for them to be. It is such a comfort to know you can be with your little one.

I am a Speech Therapist that works with the preschool 3-5 year old end of EI. The 0-3 people are wonderful. They give support to families, not just work with children.

It doesn't hurt to give a call to see what they can and cannot do. Sometimes they can do an intake and simply check in once a month until the family is ready for the next step.

Sending lots of prayer. I was a mom who had a baby born with problems--in my kiddos case it was no roof to his mouth, whatsoever. Lots of therapy and lots of work. Knowing people were praying for him and for our family was such a blessing--a cloud of love moving us forward.

Peace, Hope, Faith, Love

by mapamp on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 07:51:20 PM PST

•  (((((((((((((((((mapamp))))))))))))))))))))))))))) (2+ / 0-)
              mapamp, duhban

Bless you, for the work you do, and for all you went through with your small one.

Love and Hugs,
                                         Heather

Torture is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is inflicting it on whom.

by Chacounne on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 11:22:41 PM PST

•  ((((((((((((((New parents and small one))))))))))) (3+ / 0-)
      duhban, Cassandra Waites, mapamp

May the small one grow from strength to strength. May they be surrounded by love and support and the help that may be needed. Keeping them all in my thoughts and prayers.

A friend, who I've know since she was small, just had her first. He was born at 26 weeks, and will be spending his first three months, until his due date, in the hospital, so I identify.

Love and Hugs,
                                 Heather

Torture is ALWAYS wrong, no matter who is inflicting it on whom.

by Chacounne on Sun Jan 27, 2013 at 11:27:18 PM PST