View Diary: CO2-Getting to Work on the Demand Side (129 comments)

•  so you never fly? Thank you, that is comendable (1+ / 0-)
    cynndara

and you are doing much to save the planet.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 07:59:34 AM PST

•  and you never eat meat? (1+ / 0-)
      aliasalias

Just saying (or really it's Scientific American saying), that that particular mode of emissions is three to four times greater than air travel:

current production levels of meat contribute between 14 and 22 percent of the 36 billion tons of "CO2-equivalent" greenhouse gases the world produces every year
      •  So do both (4+ / 0-)

Any avoided carbon is worth it

Hay hombres que luchan un dia, y son buenos Hay otros que luchan un año, y son mejores Hay quienes luchan muchos años, y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida. Esos son los imprescendibles.

by Mindful Nature on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 09:49:25 AM PST

•  Most of the meat we eat is wild game and (5+ / 0-)

we produce no more carbon by eating it than if left to the ravens.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 09:51:46 AM PST

•  Congratulations! (3+ / 0-)
          ban nock, aliasalias, redwagon

However, your admirable carnivorous habits are by no means common or relevant to the issue of the world-wide meat producing and eating industry.

It is a serious source of carbon and as a matter of fact, not eating so much meat is actually much better for everyone's health and much better for the fast disappearing rain forests being plowed under to provide temporary forage.

If you hate flying so much, why don't you hate feed lots?

•  I hate soy, that comes from destroyed rain forest (5+ / 0-)
            jfromga, AoT, a gilas girl, erratic, Creosote

because that's where lots of our soy comes from. Is the carbon lost from the rain forest as great as from eating how much beef?

Food is not so simple of a subject. It would be more fun if things were so easily categorized into good/bad.

And actually I don't like feed lots. Except that when I smell them I always know weather is moving in. They are to my NE and quite a distance away, in order to smell them the cold has to be creeping in from Canada and pushed under the warmer air coming from California with it's mercury laden air from cement plants. None the less if I smell the feed lots, I know it's weather.

I'm frankly distrustful of blanket condemnations such as wealthy foodies often make. So often I've been given a very slanted view, I'll reserve judgement on beef for now.

How big is your personal carbon footprint?

by ban nock on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 11:28:22 AM PST

•  Yeah, that's why I only eat baby seal meat (2+ / 0-)
          redwagon, SolarMom

shipped in by dog sled (NOT AIR TRANSPORT!!!) from Newfoundland.

Otherwise, I'm strictly vegan. Los Vegan, for that matter . . ..

•  I'm a non-flying vegetarian (7+ / 0-)

It can be done.

And I drive a hybrid, and live off-grid using solar, and heat a tiny house with just a small woodstove with a catalyitic converter (max BTUs/hr: 27,000) in a place that goes below zero overnight in the winter. And I still live in the 21st century, with most modern amenities.

People are so afraid of what a smaller footprint would mean to their lives - it's really not much different from a larger footprint, but with less flying, more fresh veggies, less wasted space, and a lawn that isn't made of mono-cropped turf grass.

•  You are all kinds of awesome (1+ / 0-)
          radical simplicity

We are trying, but not there yet.  We have solar at our house, but we're not off grid, so we still pay fealty to big bad Duke Power (coal and nukes, mostly) to a degree.

I drive a Prius and husband just bought a Volt... but we log a lot of miles. Daughter and son drive a 4 mile round trip to and from high school every day in our old minivan.

We don't eat red meat, though, for the most part. And we do have a woodstove that runs every winter night that goes below 40 F (we're in the South, so it's most but not every night for 3+ months).

BUT my elderly mom lives in Florida and I am her only surviving child...so many flights happen. When the whole family visits, we drive. I can't help this.

So like many people, we do the best we can, but it's not enough.

“Better the occasional faults of a government that lives in a spirit of charity than the consistent omissions of a government frozen in the ice of its own indifference.” -- FDR, 1936

by SolarMom on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 09:56:59 PM PST

•  I wouldn't say we're awesome (1+ / 0-)
            SolarMom

We're just trying, like everyone else. We had a bit of help from a dramatic, extended reduction in income, which limited our options just as we started our building project. Scaling down wasn't entirely a free choice. We did have other living options, but not ones that would enable us to cut our footprint so significantly. And, of course, being flat broke makes not flying easy.

You're doing great! In one important way, what you're doing is probably even more effective than what we're doing: you've offset coal with your solar. Ours is in VT, where there is very little coal in the mix to begin with.

I know it's hard, with distant family, to adjust travel - love has a funny way of making some of our decisions for us. Our #2 travel item elderly parents, which is a close second to my husband's commute.

The best any of us can do is keep plugging away. You'll find more ways to do more, and you can also make a difference by getting others to do more.

To paraphrase ASeigel: we need silver BBs, because there is no silver bullet.

•  And you also have a chance to take saturated (2+ / 0-)
        ban nock, PeterHug

fat from eating cattle and deliver it straight to your
        coronary and cerebral arteries.

I stopped eating all beef when I was 22 and living
        at North Campus Cooperative at the University of
        Michigan.  I haven't touched the stuff for over 40 years
        now.

•  I've stopped using the air transport system (3+ / 0-)
      AoT, ban nock, PeterHug

I object to even small X-radiation exposure for scanning, both by TSA and by Border Protection as well.

I refuse to be inspected by the TSA in a manner that constitutes sexual assault.

We will never get the national highspeed rail passenger system we need (unlike the ones in Europe and being built
      in China, we're still churning outdated rail passenger technology.], until we create massive rail passenger demand and me not flying is me doing my part in the effort.

•  I won't say "never" (4+ / 0-)

But I rarely fly, because it is an expense that I can afford and that I can avoid.  Haven't in the last 5 years.  I will fly in March, for a business trip, but that's on my employer.  And I didn't want to go, but I didn't have a choice.

I can say that I haven't flown for personal reasons since my son's dads got married 5 years ago in Boston.  And only then because they paid for the ticket.  And they had to get married in Boston, because Massachusetts was at the time the only place they COULD get married.

Now, of course, they'd just go down the street in Maryland and get hitched, but a lot changes in 5 years.

Words can sometimes, in moments of grace, attain the quality of deeds. --Elie Wiesel

by a gilas girl on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 02:38:45 PM PST

• Economy (18)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Environment (13)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site