Skip to main content

View Diary: CO2-Getting to Work on the Demand Side (129 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  I think there is a bit confusion about the (3+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    Roadbed Guy, ban nock, Creosote

    costs of eating meat.  While certain types of meat may be more costly than others, there is an inherent carbon cost to eating meat relative to eating plants.

    Only about 10% on average of the energy and matter taken in by an animal as food is used to build animal tissue.  The other 90% is used in metabolism and results in CO2 production.  So the higher the trophic level (position in the food chain) you eat, the more energy is required to make your food and the more CO2 was produced in making your food.

    It is true that there is land that is not suited for crops that can rear livestock.  Generally that land is not very productive and the amount of food that can be produced from it is not very large relative to the enormous side of the human population.

    Similarly hunting is not a solution for providing meat to all of the population of North America.

    I am not a vegetarian but I have reduced my animal intake and much of it now comes from local fisheries (which also suffer the same issue of scale admittedly).  As these animals have much lower metabolic rates the carbon cost of production is less.

    "To see both sides of a quarrel, is to judge with hate or alarm" - Richard Thompson

    by matching mole on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 10:20:47 AM PST

    •  hadn't thought of that (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      Creosote

      We are programed to eat meat though, as the third world becomes more affluent it's one of the first things they do.

      One thing I can sure see, meat is priced way below it's cost, I think because it's so easy to store and ship.

      How big is your personal carbon footprint?

      by ban nock on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 04:04:53 PM PST

      [ Parent ]

    •  Fisheries are fragile too. (3+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      ban nock, Calamity Jean, ybruti

      In the Puget Sound area today young oyster spat are having difficulty creating their shells owing to the acidification of the water. If they're having trouble, then so are all the other organisms requiring calcium for their shells, as well as the tiny ones in the food chain of even smaller creatures.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site