View Diary: The deception at church ! I thought they were different (157 comments)

•  maybe you were placed at that church (2+ / 0-)
    Cedwyn, Vetwife

for a reason?

not saying it's true, but food for thought.

do what is right for you and your family but perhaps there is an opportunity to change hearts, in a place where that seems impossible to do?

no one ever said following jesus was easy. especially not jesus.

again--i mean no disrespect. just something to pray on, perhaps.

http://otherwise-occupied.tumblr.com/ @OOccupied

by jvantin1 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:30:34 AM PST

•  I thought of that... (1+ / 0-)
      jvantin1

My husband said he would have stood and corrected hi and then he thought about it.. and said.. Nah..it is not like we have been going there for a long time or anything.   We just found out what they are about...I had to literaly bite my tongue.

To my aethist friends, I know you don't understand why it is important to find non fundies if you are a believer but I am as strong in my faith if not stronger as in my politics.  I am passionate about serving God and man.   All people of faith should desire the same.   I don't shove my beliefs on anyone but I find it more difficult to get comfortable in a place of worship.

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 08:02:43 AM PST

•  I totally get it (1+ / 0-)
        Vetwife

My church isn't fundy--couldn't handle that. It's a very nice, welcoming place. . Even so, it won't let gay or lesbian folks teach Sunday school.

I stay with the church because I made a commitment to it. But before I joined, I told the pastor that I would never accept that tenet, and asked if it would be better that I didn't join.

He said, no, join--lots of other folks here feel the same way. He is tolerant of others' beliefs, even their political beliefs.

It's not a perfect community, but none of us are perfect, and God meets us where we are. We never know when God might change us, or how.

http://otherwise-occupied.tumblr.com/ @OOccupied

by jvantin1 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 09:18:01 AM PST

•  Well te pastor lied to me when (0+ / 0-)

i confronted him about a year ago but then again Obama got re elected.  I guess he feels God turned on him.

by Vetwife on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 09:25:35 AM PST

•  I totally forgot about this! (1+ / 0-)
            Vetwife

True story.

Before we found our current church, we were ready to join another one. To join the class, you had to take a class.

When the director started talking about "the homosexual agenda," and certain groups who were going to hell, I quietly freaked out in my seat. My husband, too. We never went back.

http://otherwise-occupied.tumblr.com/ @OOccupied

by jvantin1 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 09:46:09 AM PST

•  With respect, ma'am... (0+ / 0-)

I believe you misunderstand some if not a lot of we atheists. This particular one understands that some people need the kind of comfort that faith can provide, if for no other reason to be around like-minded people.

I rather enjoy my conversations with people of faith who are open-minded(and some of the debates with folks who aren't). We may disagree on the invisible smite-y guy but I've always liked the ideals of Christ. I think if more Christians actually paid attention to the lessons from Christ they might be better off...But I also like to take info from Buddha and George Carlin, stand-up philosopher and sleep in on Sundays so what do I know?

I also know that there are wackjobs on both sides who could use a whack from a heavy book every now and again, which you've seen from the point of your diary and certain commenters within it. I hope you can find a place you fit in, or knock some sense into Deacon N.R.A. Jones there.

"I chose to change facts, reality, and the meaning of words, in order to make a much larger point." - Paul Ryan John Oliver

by SC Lib on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 07:39:06 AM PST