View Diary: Icesave: Today Iceland Learns Whether It Gambled Right On Refusing A Repayment Deal With The British (177 comments)

•  so unbelievably awful. Inexcusable. I don't look (1+ / 0-)
    Notreadytobenice

at Ireland the same way I used to, because I can't help but think of this poor woman.

While Democrats work to get more people to vote, Republicans work to ensure those votes won't count.

by Tamar on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:24:20 PM PST

•  Catholic Church (4+ / 0-)

still holds a lot of power there.  That's where to point the finger.

don't always believe what you think

by claude on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 06:41:20 PM PST

•  What about the people who killed her? (2+ / 0-)
        Notreadytobenice, Tamar

What about the doctors and nurses.  The people who knew but didn't act?  What about them?  The Catholic Church is a religious organization (read: crazy and unaccountable) several steps removed from this process.  The moral weight always falls on those who were in a position to act.  Those are her killers.

•  Do no harm. (2+ / 0-)
          Notreadytobenice, Tamar

Your first duty is to the patient in front of you.

if necessary for years; if necessary, alone

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 06:46:43 AM PST

•  I think it's unforgivable that they did nothing. (0+ / 0-)

What I read was that the law was so unclear, they were more afraid of getting in trouble for aborting the fetus than for letting her die. I don't understand how doctors can live with those laws.
          (Of course, I was furious with our own military doctors who allowed themselves to be pressured by the military hierarchy into under-diagnosing PTSD -- I thought the medical groups, particularly the American Psychiatric Association, should have taken action. My husband, a shrink, actually wrote a letter to colleagues about this but was ignored).

by Tamar on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 11:07:40 AM PST

•  Yes and they wouldn't even give her an epidural (2+ / 0-)
      Tamar, Notreadytobenice

or anything otherwise she wouldn't have died in agony (though she still would have died).  Perhaps because of the whole "women must suffer during childbirth" even though that is not official Roman Catholic teachings?

You have watched Faux News, now lose 2d10 SAN.

by Throw The Bums Out on Mon Jan 28, 2013 at 09:54:51 PM PST

•  that was extraordinarily sick. (2+ / 0-)
        Notreadytobenice, Tamar

I've always been fond of Ireland; studied Irish Literature as one of my specializations in grad school; went there in 95.

The essential humanity of the Irish people has often run up against this kind of religious misogyny over the last couple hundred years. I so wish it wouldn't.  When those two things conflict, so often the misogynist impulse seems to win.

if necessary for years; if necessary, alone

• Law (19)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Riots (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site