Skip to main content

View Diary: Now "I" Have to Show My Birth Certificate (295 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  In theory, there's always a way out (1+ / 0-)
    Recommended by:
    pgm 01

    In theory, there is a way out. In at least some places, this involves enlisting someone who has known you for at least five years and who has a professional license of some kind (doctor, lawyer, whatever). You have them file a notarized statement saying that you are who you say you are, under penalty of having their license revoked. (And the notary has to see the license.)

    Then you have to have some photos, and a whole lot of information, and answer a bunch of questions. And I believe the process cost at least a couple hundred dollars from start to finish, including the notary, the photos, the forms, the certificate, postage, and so forth.

    It is, at least theoretically, doable. But if you're poor you're fucked, as you may well not know any doctors, dentists, lawyers, CPAs, or whatever. I don't know of any other ways besides that.

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

  • Recommended (170)
  • Community (84)
  • Baltimore (84)
  • Bernie Sanders (65)
  • Freddie Gray (59)
  • Civil Rights (53)
  • Elections (41)
  • Culture (38)
  • Hillary Clinton (36)
  • Media (35)
  • 2016 (31)
  • Law (31)
  • Racism (30)
  • Labor (26)
  • Education (26)
  • Environment (25)
  • Republicans (23)
  • Politics (23)
  • Barack Obama (22)
  • Police (20)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site