View Diary: Emergency Help Needed: marabout40 Will Be Homeless Tomorrow (152 comments)

•  We have an opening (26+ / 0-)

I will email her the position description if that is ok with her

Your cream of the crop in pet-sitting in Washington State is: MyNeighborhoodBuddy

by dibsa on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 10:37:23 AM PST

•  I'm sure it is OK. She follows through on all (17+ / 0-)

leads she is given.

The problem these days is that applicant pools are so large, and she has been unemployed for quite some time now. She keeps doing things like campaigning and volunteering on top of her job searches. She's actually cooking meals for a Gilda's Club person on a volunteer basis, while being homeless and discouraged.

There is a lot of character there!

You can't go back and rewrite your past, but you can use your past to create your future. ~ Ray Lewis

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 10:53:41 AM PST

•  send me her email through kos mail (15+ / 0-)

I know two people who may help her get the job, you never know, this position has been posted just two days ago and fits her qualifications.

by dibsa on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 11:01:14 AM PST

•  Somewhere I read that the longer you are (10+ / 0-)

unemployed the more your chances go down to get anything. It's one of those Catch-22s, you need a recent job history to get a job, but if you can't get a job you won't have a recent job history.

While Democrats work to get more people to vote, Republicans work to ensure those votes won't count.

by Tamar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 11:25:48 AM PST

•  yeah, but she's got a compelling story (8+ / 0-)

fighting cancer, and still volunteering and working part-time.

Hard not to like someone like that.

Reforms come from below. No man with four aces howls for a new deal.
          Keystone XL will raise gas prices!

by Turbonerd on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 11:59:53 AM PST

•  from our point of view -- but not from a company's (11+ / 0-)

point of view.
            I have a cousin who is highly regarded in his field, just lost his job because of a political restructuring at the top of his organization (nothing to do with his work), and because of his age, he's not getting jobs that he was recruited for just 6 or 7 years ago. He's at that borderline in terms of age -- they think: how long will he be with us, how likely is it he might have a health problem and we can get a younger person cheaper.
            Not fair -- just awful in fact. And stupid because he's one of the best in the country in his specialty -- they won't get anyone with his skills. But unfortunately it's the reality.
            I'm lucky that I'm retired and that my husband has a secure job, because if I were looking now, I wouldn't find anything even with my very good resume, references, and good work history.
            Don't know Marabout40's age, but the cancer alone puts her in that category that makes it harder to get a job.

by Tamar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 12:17:43 PM PST

•  if the company is going to be that dickish (3+ / 0-)
              4Freedom, brook, aitchdee

probably better off not working there anyway.

Reforms come from below. No man with four aces howls for a new deal.
              Keystone XL will raise gas prices!

by Turbonerd on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 12:21:00 PM PST

•  She's in her early 40s, which can be either a (5+ / 0-)

good thing, because you have some solid work experience, or a bad thing. You might cost the company more than a new recruit.

The job situation is horrid. When I left my last and final sales job, I loaned a friend money to help her health food store business. A few months later she bailed, and I could either close shop and lose my investment, or take over the store, which I did.

At least I have food, herbs and supplements. In fact, as a result of owning the store and doing lots of research, I'm in the best physical health of my life. So occasionally lemonade can be made of those lemons!

Maybe there is a business you could start. I much prefer self-employment to working for others.

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 12:27:29 PM PST

•  I'm lucky that I could afford to retire (age 63 (8+ / 0-)

when I stopped working) so I'm not looking for work. Took me a year to get used to not working and I have to admit it was pretty much a wasted year (other than getting into good physical exercise habits). But since I accepted being retired (about 2 months ago) and gave my organization back all the data I'd been working on, I've been getting into this.
                Politics and weaving and my 12-year-old daughter (3rd child but the first time I've been a full-time mother) are my job now.
                I've worked since my senior year in high school -- including part time through college and grad school -- so about 45 years. (That's one reason I get so mad when I hear the moneyed types talking about how people can't expect to work 25 years and then collect Social Security for 30 years -- I don't know anyone whose work only lasted 25 years unless they developed a serious illness or disability).

by Tamar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 01:47:57 PM PST

•  I have had intermittent employment at times. (4+ / 0-)
                  brook, Renee, Tamar, aitchdee

It is strange to not work after so many years of working. But I soon found that I can't not work. Not my nature.

Now I do my level best to help people help themselves get or stay healthy. It has become almost a calling, after years in marketing and sales.

Your life of politics, weaving and parenting sounds great. I bet your daughter is glad to have a full-time mom.

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:39:18 PM PST

•  Where's your health food store? Since the CEO (3+ / 0-)
                    4Freedom, PinHole, aitchdee

of Whole Foods made his latest stupid comment, I'm searching out all the alternatives in my area. I can't get everything I could get at WF, but I can get most of it. And I feel better about where my money's going.

by Tamar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 03:14:47 PM PST

•  I'm tucked away in a small town in Vermont. (5+ / 0-)
                      PinHole, Tamar, aitchdee, blueoasis, timewarp

The store is small, but we stock all-organic produce, local dairy and meat, local honey and maple syrup, locally produced biodynamic herbs, lots of organic bulk foods, vegan protein sources, local cheeses, and a full line of supplements, flower essences and tinctures. Many groceries, too, as I like sushi and oriental cuisine, so we have many sauces and noodles and misos.

I do almost all the buying, and am usually on the floor. But today I babysat this diary, because marabout needs options. Our family has food and a roof over our heads. There isn't lots of material comfort, but we have  fairly low stress level as a result.

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 03:34:41 PM PST

•  Sounds like a lovely store. Wish I lived nearby (3+ / 0-)
                        4Freedom, aitchdee, timewarp

(we're in MD near Washington, D.C.)
                        When I was in grad school in New Haven, I'd go with friends to Vermont on an occasional weekend. I remember that when we crossed the state line into Vermont, I would feel this sudden sense of relief and calm. I always associate Vermont with that peaceful feeling.

by Tamar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 05:27:48 PM PST

•  That was my initial impression (2+ / 0-)
                          Tamar, aitchdee

of the state as well. Once I first crossed the New Hampshire border into Vermont, I felt that sense of peace.

Coming straight out of NYC, that peace was a good thing!

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 05:38:44 PM PST

•  However, that's not what an employer is looking (7+ / 0-)

for, a compelling story. Might even scare some off to know she has been ill.

It's those like us that appreciate her grit and determination. Many of us face adversity, just not as severe as that of marabout40. And that is part of what is so great about this community. Her fierce will to prevail over circumstances is keeping her afloat. We can buoy her spirits by showing her our support, and it certainly doesn't have to be just financial.

I couldn't do much, but I can let others who may be able to help her in some way know about her situation. This is a community that cares for its own, and I'm happy to be part of that.

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 12:20:17 PM PST

•  don't awfulize. keep a hopeful attitude (3+ / 0-)
              4Freedom, peregrine kate, brook

I'm not saying you don't have a point, but that doesn't have to be the be-all and end-all. Let's help her find a GOOD company to work for. They're out there too.

As far as the cancer goes: no reason she has to disclose that. And it's illegal to ask.

All she has to say is she was laid off from her last position and she's looking for something full-time.

The trick is to talk to a person and in that regard she's absolutely no different than any other job seeker  these days.

To that end: I'm digging through my contacts, I might have something for her. I'll kosmail you with anything definite.

Reforms come from below. No man with four aces howls for a new deal.
              Keystone XL will raise gas prices!

by Turbonerd on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 12:27:28 PM PST