View Diary: Emergency Help Needed: marabout40 Will Be Homeless Tomorrow (152 comments)

•  I hope someone there locally can help (10+ / 0-)

walk her through the system. Sorry I live in the Midwest and can't help...but I know what it's like. Many years ago when I lived in upstate NY I helped an immigrant woman escaping an abusive marriage. She had a young child. The complications were unbelievable, even back then. It was almost a full-time job for me to get her paperwork straightened out, her work permit, food stamps, job applications, day care, not to mention court appearances during the custody battle. Oh, and there were some health issues too.

Most of the bureaucrats we dealt with would have brushed her off if I hadn't been there to follow through. I was always polite, deferential but firm and confident. Many of them assumed I was a social worker myself, LOL, though I was just a determined friend who didn't feel intimidated. That's what mabout40 needs!

Sending a small amount via paypal and wishing all the best.

I love it that Obama's channeling Harry Truman: "I don't give 'em hell; I just tell the truth and they think it's hell!"

by sillia on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 11:40:34 AM PST

•  Thank you for sharing your experiences and (4+ / 0-)
      Turbonerd, Renee, AllisonInSeattle, brook

resources. That's how we build good outcomes.

I called the Governor's office because I was absolutely appalled at the bureaucratic hoops she kept being made to jump through. Then to find out that the 'work requirement' was erroneous, that was the trigger.

Andrew Cuomo has aspirations to higher office, it appears. But if he can't control the Human Services aspects of his administration in this economy, I think it indicates poor management capabilities, and I would be hesitant to support his candidacy.

Cuomo jumped at the opportunity to sign the stiff new gun control laws for New York State. But his Department of Social Services is still reeling from the impact of Sandy and isn't serving residents still needing assistance because of Sandy all that well.

Now marabout40 has been impacted by this failure of leadership. It is truly a sorry situation she finds herself in, and I think NYS leadership should take note of its failings. Where there is one failure like this, in a state as big as New York, there are probably thousands of similar failings.

You can't go back and rewrite your past, but you can use your past to create your future. ~ Ray Lewis

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 11:55:21 AM PST

•  That's all true, but (3+ / 0-)
        Renee, 4Freedom, brook

her problem will be solved by dealing with one overworked bureaucrat at a time, diplomatically and firmly.

Running for Governor can come later...

by sillia on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 12:10:20 PM PST

•  LOL! She would make a good governor, but (3+ / 0-)
          sillia, brook, ShoshannaD

I doubt that she would see herself in that light.

She is the soul of courtesy. Through all this, she has voiced her frustration, but never targeted anyone for blame.

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 12:33:39 PM PST

•  No matter how polite (6+ / 0-)

the applicant is, it helps to have a 'chaperone' there as a buffer. Makes the person just slightly more memorable, and slightly less prone to victimhood. That was my experience, anyway.

These bureaucracies are huge and poorly managed. The employees really are overworked, with big caseloads and a lot of emotions all day. You can EXPECT things to fall through the cracks and plan accordingly. Sadly.

by sillia on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 12:56:40 PM PST

•  Some very sound advice there, sillian. (3+ / 0-)
              sillia, brook, ShoshannaD

Maybe my Rochester friend who brought marabout to Gilda's Club could accompany her to those meetings.

Thanks!

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 01:26:47 PM PST

•  marabout is so polite and courteous that (3+ / 0-)
              brook, ShoshannaD, ipsos

her first social worker has offered her her own couch for the evening. Then some kossians have put up some ideas very much worth pursuing which may help provide short-term shelter until the situation with state aid is resolved, or a permanent job is found.

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:35:33 PM PST