View Diary: Emergency Help Needed: marabout40 Will Be Homeless Tomorrow (152 comments)

•  She's in her early 40s, which can be either a (5+ / 0-)

good thing, because you have some solid work experience, or a bad thing. You might cost the company more than a new recruit.

The job situation is horrid. When I left my last and final sales job, I loaned a friend money to help her health food store business. A few months later she bailed, and I could either close shop and lose my investment, or take over the store, which I did.

At least I have food, herbs and supplements. In fact, as a result of owning the store and doing lots of research, I'm in the best physical health of my life. So occasionally lemonade can be made of those lemons!

Maybe there is a business you could start. I much prefer self-employment to working for others.

You can't go back and rewrite your past, but you can use your past to create your future. ~ Ray Lewis

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 12:27:29 PM PST

•  I'm lucky that I could afford to retire (age 63 (8+ / 0-)

when I stopped working) so I'm not looking for work. Took me a year to get used to not working and I have to admit it was pretty much a wasted year (other than getting into good physical exercise habits). But since I accepted being retired (about 2 months ago) and gave my organization back all the data I'd been working on, I've been getting into this.
      Politics and weaving and my 12-year-old daughter (3rd child but the first time I've been a full-time mother) are my job now.
      I've worked since my senior year in high school -- including part time through college and grad school -- so about 45 years. (That's one reason I get so mad when I hear the moneyed types talking about how people can't expect to work 25 years and then collect Social Security for 30 years -- I don't know anyone whose work only lasted 25 years unless they developed a serious illness or disability).

While Democrats work to get more people to vote, Republicans work to ensure those votes won't count.

by Tamar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 01:47:57 PM PST

•  I have had intermittent employment at times. (4+ / 0-)
        brook, Renee, Tamar, aitchdee

It is strange to not work after so many years of working. But I soon found that I can't not work. Not my nature.

Now I do my level best to help people help themselves get or stay healthy. It has become almost a calling, after years in marketing and sales.

Your life of politics, weaving and parenting sounds great. I bet your daughter is glad to have a full-time mom.

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:39:18 PM PST

•  Where's your health food store? Since the CEO (3+ / 0-)
          4Freedom, PinHole, aitchdee

of Whole Foods made his latest stupid comment, I'm searching out all the alternatives in my area. I can't get everything I could get at WF, but I can get most of it. And I feel better about where my money's going.

by Tamar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 03:14:47 PM PST

•  I'm tucked away in a small town in Vermont. (5+ / 0-)
            PinHole, Tamar, aitchdee, blueoasis, timewarp

The store is small, but we stock all-organic produce, local dairy and meat, local honey and maple syrup, locally produced biodynamic herbs, lots of organic bulk foods, vegan protein sources, local cheeses, and a full line of supplements, flower essences and tinctures. Many groceries, too, as I like sushi and oriental cuisine, so we have many sauces and noodles and misos.

I do almost all the buying, and am usually on the floor. But today I babysat this diary, because marabout needs options. Our family has food and a roof over our heads. There isn't lots of material comfort, but we have  fairly low stress level as a result.

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 03:34:41 PM PST

•  Sounds like a lovely store. Wish I lived nearby (3+ / 0-)
              4Freedom, aitchdee, timewarp

(we're in MD near Washington, D.C.)
              When I was in grad school in New Haven, I'd go with friends to Vermont on an occasional weekend. I remember that when we crossed the state line into Vermont, I would feel this sudden sense of relief and calm. I always associate Vermont with that peaceful feeling.

by Tamar on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 05:27:48 PM PST

•  That was my initial impression (2+ / 0-)
                Tamar, aitchdee

of the state as well. Once I first crossed the New Hampshire border into Vermont, I felt that sense of peace.

Coming straight out of NYC, that peace was a good thing!

by 4Freedom on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 05:38:44 PM PST