Skip to main content

View Diary: A View From the Swamp - NOT HUMAN AGAIN (25 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Here's advice I hope will help (16+ / 0-)

    I was an SSA District Manager for many years. The Service Rep (SR) did not follow agency guidelines in interviewing you. It goes without saying that transgender people have the same right to service as anyone else. All interviewers are trained in the correct procedures in cases in which there is a change in gender. Instead of following procedure, this SR was not only rude to you but also  refused to honor your request to speak to a supervisor.  

    I suggest you call your local Congressperson's office as soon as possible to complain about this incident. Follow up in writing providing a detailed account of  the incident including the names of any witnesses, the security guard, and the service representative.

    I hope this helps. Whaddaya

    •  Good suggestions. n/t (7+ / 0-)

      "There's nothing serious about a plan that claims to reduce the deficit by spending a trillion dollars on tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires." - President Obama

      by fhcec on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 05:50:16 PM PST

      [ Parent ]

    •  Great advice... +4 (3+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:
      WakeUpNeo, Mortifyd, whaddaya

      You might try a neighboring congressperson if your own critter isn't helpful.

      Anecdotal experience: A cousin was having trouble with a Federal Flood Insurance claim.  His Congressman was Ander Crenshaw (R-warm bucket of spit FL) with whom he has at most 2 degrees separation if not 0.  He turned out to be extremely useless.  Corrine Brown (D- could be better but still D) got gears turning and got needed action.

      Some Congress people recognize the importance of constituent service.  The way districts change and people move it's always to try to help.  Corrine believes in constituent service.

      Keep swinging and you'll find the help you need.

      Good luck.

      I screwed up with a careless uprate so I'm a "No Rate" pariah. When I give a comment "+4 n/t", please consider that a recommend. (That's my workaround to participate here). DK haiku, one complete thought in a title field. Roar louder! NR since 3/7/12.

      by Josiah Bartlett on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 10:11:14 PM PST

      [ Parent ]

      •  In the land of Bobby Jindal... (1+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:

        I don't know any of the Congress Critters - and they aren't going to help me, an out of state freak.  You can pretty much bet your bucks on that.

        I'm from Oregon - so I guess I could put a call into Merkley - but in Oregon I wouldn't be having this problem in the first place.

        And we sail and we sail and we never see land, just the rum in the bottle and a pipe in my hand...

        by Mortifyd on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 06:42:54 AM PST

        [ Parent ]

    •  naturally we left pissed.. (1+ / 0-)
      Recommended by:

      and didn't get anyone's name. headdesk

      I just don't understand the total difference between the offices, the services - it was literally night and day.  Oregon was nice, clean, friendly - Louisiana is a fucking hell hole.  

      The girl claimed there WAS no supervisor, only an interim supervisor we were not allowed to see because - security!

      Should I talk to the Congressman I voted for in Oregon? (Merkley) or someone down here who is neither a democrat nor likely to see me as human either?  My parents are voters down here and have no idea who their representatives are. NO CLUE.  Kind of scares me.

      And we sail and we sail and we never see land, just the rum in the bottle and a pipe in my hand...

      by Mortifyd on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 06:55:51 AM PST

      [ Parent ]

      •  Alright. Let's see how to do this. (1+ / 0-)
        Recommended by:

        The SR should have let you speak to a supervisor. It doesn't really matter that they're an "interim" supervisor. So, the employee was still wrong.

        Now, as to whom to write, I would suggest writing Merkley AND the local Congress person. Why? You can't complain that the local office provided terrible service and not inform the Congressperson. You can get the name, address, email etc of that person from the web or look up US Govt in the white pages of the telephone book. Or you might call the toll free number 1-800-772-1213 and ask for the name of the District Manager and Area Director of the local office. This employee's work was not up to standard and management should be aware of that fact.

        I hope this will help. Sorry you didn't get the help you deserve. Let me know how it turns out through Kosmail. Whaddaya

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site