View Diary: New study: pooties kill billions of birds a year. Let's keep them indoors. (148 comments)

•  It didn't help (3+ / 0-)
    flowerfarmer, BlackSheep1, blukat

that during the Middle Ages in Europe, cats were considered familiars to witches and agents of evil, and were shunned.

Perfect conditions for plague ridden rats to infest towns and cities.

It's about time I changed my signature.

by Khun David on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 07:33:41 PM PST

•  Any proof for this theory? (3+ / 0-)
      slapshoe, wader, badscience

I'm an ecologist and into environmental history, and I've never heard of this in my life.  This is a pretty lame theory because civilization arose independently in several different parts of the world, and many of those places (like Central and South America) didn't have cats!

So, I think it's pretty safe to say that cats are not a requirement for civilization.  If you think I'm wrong, I'd love to see a source or two.

The next Noah will work a short shift. - Charles Bowden

by Scott in NAZ on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 07:41:31 PM PST

•  Fear of cats certainly worsened the plague (4+ / 0-)
        BlackSheep1, blukat, wader, Khun David

I thought this was an accepted fact.  The connections between cats and rats and disease had not yet been made.  Superstition doomed humanity.

There are very few subjects which do not interest or fascinate me.

by NYFM on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 08:12:08 PM PST

•  High School history (2+ / 0-)
        Khun David, flowerfarmer

is where I learned that. People were killing off the cats out of fear of witchcraft. This allowed the rat population to flourish and spread the plauge. It is considered an historical fact.

I would never keep my cat from going outside I consider it unnatural and cruel.

A bell will warn the birds but rodents don't seem to make the connection.

It is the heart that makes a man rich. He is rich according to what he is not what he has -Henry Ward Beecher

by PSWaterspirit on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 09:15:39 PM PST

•  it's also cruel & unnatural to expect a cat to (1+ / 0-)
          badscience

face down a semi-truck and come out on top. smartest cat my DH ever had couldn't manage it. Ave, Fafnir gereksbane!

"real" work : a job where you wash your hands BEFORE you use the bathroom...

by chimene on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 12:00:10 AM PST

•  I live on 80 acres (0+ / 0-)

nearest pavement is over a mile away. Does't really apply here.

My cat likes to hang out with the chickens she lays in the sun while they scratch in the dirt around her. She seems to be an accepted member of the flock, so much so that they run to meet her when she comes outside in the morning.

I just trust my animals, I do not think of them as children but intelligent creatues who are probably my equal their intelligence has just evolved differently.  My animals have all lived a very very long time. My last cat was 20.

by PSWaterspirit on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 09:58:12 AM PST