View Diary: This is why I carry a gun when I can. (219 comments)

•  I raise the racial issues (1+ / 0-)
    Oh Mary Oh

because the recent Newtown massacre undeniably initiated both the Administration's and Feinstein's recent gun control regulatory efforts (not to mention DK conflict among progressives) ... and in the face of continually ignored firearm violence against brown people and babies long before and still on-going.  Please ... look at the Bureau of Justice statistics on racial disparities associated with firearm violence if you have any doubt of this reality.

It is uncomfortable to raise the racial dimensions of this acute national issue ... but to ignore it (and the rebuttable presumption of white privilege as an explanation) is to deny or avoid the evidence and reasonable analysis of it.

•  Then pick a relevant time to make that point (2+ / 0-)
      Sandino, Oh Mary Oh

Because I didn't say anything about Sandy Hook in my comment to justify anything.   Sandy Hook is just another news story to me.

In fact my concern has always been the flow of guns into minority communities and the groups like the NRA who run interference for the gun traffickers who supply the arms.  I wrote a diary about leveraging the AWB away to ensure sales loopholes are closed, because that's the biggest issue to me.

What's your constructive idea?

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Tue Jan 29, 2013 at 11:20:33 PM PST

•  It is always relevant (1+ / 0-)
        Oh Mary Oh

when addressing this issue.  It is constructive to assert and maintain that point.

But thank you for the link to your diary.  I will read it.

•  Hey ... just read your "most recommended" (1+ / 0-)
        slothlax

from the SB.

A couple of things resonated ... use of language for one ... for you, there, killers, murderers, etc.   I have a similar objection ... "killing machines," "NRA shills," "fetishists" etc.

What I will share is that I'm a history guy too ... though much older than you, and with a lot of science, law and even LAX behind me as well.  But history is about causation that depends on data and accurate "story telling" ... as does science and law.

And I see these issues of language, principle and truth matter to you -- and perhaps even the worthwhile objective of civil peace, maybe, if possible.   And that I respect, a great deal.

That diary was a long while ago, so I hope you are home again and living well ... as best one can after experiences of life.

•  That was a memorable moment (1+ / 0-)
          ancblu

Sitting at a computer in a shack on our desert camp for hours responding to all the comments.  I was pretty new to the community then, more defensive.  But my combativeness was met with a huge outpouring of support, not quite the same for you guys in this debate.

I am home and doing fine thank you.  Still in the reserves, but not much longer.  I had a buddy from AIT who was from Anchorage.  He was a Democrat too, we made fast friends.

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 01:17:12 AM PST

•  Lots of losses up here. (1+ / 0-)
            slothlax

JBER's Arctic Sappers, 84th ESC, 6th Engineer Battalion (Combat) (Airborne), just redeployed for 9 months to Afghanistan.

Glad you are home.

•  I was attached to the 172nd Stryker Brigade (1+ / 0-)
              ancblu

Fort Rich I think.  The first few couple Iraq diaries I wrote were when I was with them.  They were literally on the tarmac getting ready to board when the order came down they were getting extended for three (?) more months and going to Baghdad.  Man were their wives pissed! It made CNN and everything.  They were pretty pissed too, but a job's a job.  Out of the half dozen unit patches I'm eligible to wear on my right sleeve, the 172nd has always been the choice.  It kinda looks like cock and balls banging the Big Dipper.

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 02:31:51 AM PST

•  I see banging tits under the stars, (1+ / 0-)
                slothlax

but to each our own 172nd fantasies. ;)

My sentimental favorite patch is the old Alaska Defense Command ... just a mean ole bear guided by the North Star.  Last version was discontinued about '75.

•  I see where you're coming from (1+ / 0-)
                  ancblu

I like it.  But mine did involve sex with a constellation.

That is a badass patch, the Guard units have the most creative ones.

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 03:39:50 AM PST

•  From a question about white babies (1+ / 0-)
                    slothlax

to "sex with a constellation".  Yep, I regret asking :)

"Someone just turned the lights on in the bar and the sexiest state doesn't look so pretty anymore" CA Treasurer Bill Lockyer on Texas budget mess

by CaliSista on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 12:29:53 PM PST

•  Thanks for that (1+ / 0-)
                      CaliSista

Until you asked that question, I was feeling combative with the other commenter.  Confronting the most divisive rhetoric head on allowed us to develop a meaningful conversation instead of just yelling at each other.

Good job!

There is truth on all sides. The question is how much.

by slothlax on Wed Jan 30, 2013 at 03:16:55 PM PST