View Diary: Top Comments: Creeque Alley Edition (109 comments)

•  Nostalgia makes me sad but in a good way (11+ / 0-)

I love the music of the 60s and pretty much all of it.
    It's really hard for me to think of music from back then that I didn't like.
    I grew up in the 60s and listened to music constantly.
    I was in the 3rd grade when the Beatles landed and became a serious music lover, and yes, it happened when I was that young.
    It was such a tumultuous era and am glad that I lived through it and grew up with it.
    So much of the music from that decade reflected the times.
    Even the silly songs were great and memorable.
    Sunday nights consisted of 'Ed Sullivan' and 'The Smothers Brothers', and then came 'Sonny and Cher', and goodness, but I loved their show.
    Everything from Joan Baez and Dylan, to Johnny Cash, The Stones, Janis, Jimi, The Doors, and Cream and I really loved Simon and Garfunkel and Donovan.
    And even the Monkees and Herman's Hermits and Freddie and the Freeloaders.
    I don't think any decade has ever lived up to the 60s.

Thank you for this, Dave, and the walk down memory lane.

dis one dedicates to da ladeez

•  Thanks, azblue (6+ / 0-)
      I don't think any decade has ever lived up to the 60s.
      I'm not sure about that, but I think it's that for you and me and many other people who'll read this, these were our formative years. I know I didn't START relating to popular music until the Beatles, and I was 13 by then. And THEN, the floodgates. Freddie and the Dreamers, btw, and the whole "British Invasion."

I have the title for a Simon and Garfunkel diary in my draft file, but I think I have to tackle the Doors next.

-7.75, -8.10; . . . Seneca Falls, Selma and Stonewall (h/t cooper888)

by Dave in Northridge on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 07:36:32 PM PDT

•  Right! (6+ / 0-)

Freddie and the Dreamers!

Almost remembered them correctly.
        Weren't they one-hit wonders?

You are right, too, about it being the formative years, because the 70s and 80s brought about great music, too.
        And maybe into the 90s, but something changed somewhere when MTV came along.

I don't listen to music much anymore.
        Not like in my youth.

All we need is LOVE!

by arizonablue on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 07:43:49 PM PDT

•  Freddie and the Dreamers (0+ / 0-)

had at least three hits:

You can't keep a mighty tree alive (much less expect it to thrive) by only spritzing the fine leaves at its tippy-top. The fate of the whole tree depends on nurturing the grassroots. - Jim Hightower

by PSzymeczek on Mon Mar 25, 2013 at 10:46:40 AM PDT

•  For me, the '60s seemed like this huge party, (7+ / 0-)

and by the time I reached adulthood, the party was over, and the mess had just about been cleaned up.  (I graduated from high school in 1977.)  On the one hand, had I been born a decade before, I would have been able to experience the excitement first-hand rather than vicariously.  On the other hand, I would be 10 years older now.

-5.13,-5.64; If you gave [Jerry Falwell] an enema, you could bury him in a matchbox. -- Christopher Hitchens

by gizmo59 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 07:46:08 PM PDT

•  The 60s for me (5+ / 0-)

consisted of a lot of worry about my three older brothers being drafted.
          They all came so close at times, but fortunately, they were never called.
          I worried a lot about them back then.

I would've been a protestor, but was too young, and that's probably a good thing.

All we need is LOVE!

by arizonablue on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 07:53:34 PM PDT

•  Well, you have a point there... (4+ / 0-)

I would have been a prime target for a draft, though my parents were adamant that I go to college.  I would have been nothing but cannon fodder.  I was a good enough student that I would have had no problem getting a deferment, I suppose.  Nonetheless, that was a worry I'm glad my parents never had.  Indeed, I was too young for the Vietnam draft, but I aged out of the draft registration instituted during the Reagan administration, so I really did luck out in that respect.

by gizmo59 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 at 07:58:53 PM PDT

•  I was teaching in the 60s and 70s. Plenty of (5+ / 0-)

encouragement for creativity was allowed.  It's so depressive to go into schools today and see the lock-step testing curriculum.  Without music, art, PE and the other enrichment currivulums, the children suffer from dispair today.