View Diary: Alabama Schoolbus Hostage Crisis Drags into Day 3 (181 comments)

•  There's a VA outpatient clinic in Dothan, AL (6+ / 0-)

Which is about 10 miles but I think this level of disturbance would have been beyond their abilities and resources.

•  thanks for the information (3+ / 0-)
      Over the Edge, zaka1, entrelac

That is the question now, if the guy could have gotten a referral and transportation to a residential facility (I fought this war on behalf of local vets many times as the facility would accept the vet but there was no transportation to the facility 100 miles away)

•  Nearby? (1+ / 0-)
      zaka1

This area isn't that far from either Pensacola or Tallahassee. Pensacola has a very large military community; presumably they'd have a top-notch VA facility.

The Bush Family: 0 for 4 in Wisconsin

by Korkenzieher on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 10:44:17 AM PST

•  And how many (6+ / 0-)
      entrelac, louisev, CwV, Vetwife, schnecke21, zett

veterans have given up on trying to get mental health services through the VA?  My husband was a Viet Nam vet and exposed to Agent Orange and we couldn't even get information from the VA about health problems that could have been related, let alone his getting help for his severe PTSD.  Help came from the outside privately while we still had services that were affordable.

What most people do not realize is that many of these incidents are happening now because of the cuts in social services, whereas many incidents were stopped prior to getting to this point when we had access to help which was affordable.  I'm not talking so much about vets in my previous sentence as much as I'm talking about the whole of the population.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolution­ary act. " George Orwell

by zaka1 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 11:16:18 AM PST

•  yup, that's true (2+ / 0-)
        zaka1, zett

I was married to a Vietnam vet involved in the firefights in the jungle, and he had PTSD, and he never got any services.

"Kossacks are held to a higher standard. Like Hebrew National hot dogs." - blueaardvark

by louisev on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 11:21:09 AM PST

•  My husband (2+ / 0-)
          Vetwife, zett

use to wake up screaming in the middle of night in a cold sweat.  One night he broke down completely and told me some of things he experienced, he was a paratrooper, and honestly I was only 18 years old at the time and it truly was heartbreaking what he told me.  I knew there were terrible things that happen in the world, I grew up with many Holocaust survivors around me, but what he told me was just as horrible.  He was also upset that they did little debriefing when he returned, maybe a twenty minute talk, and that was all he got.

by zaka1 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 12:25:41 PM PST

•  yep, mine too (2+ / 0-)
            zaka1, zett

I have no contact with him anymore because our relationship was terribly destructive and ended about 22 years ago, but i spent 12 years living with someone who had a ticking bomb in the back of his head, and one time he woke up in the middle of the night and pinned me down in a clothes closet with his hands around my neck, and I could tell he wasn't in America just then, and I'm just glad I survived that night.

by louisev on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 12:28:33 PM PST

•  Exactly right (2+ / 0-)
        zaka1, schnecke21

The VA has failed too many people, for various reasons, from lack of funding to our national embarrassment over VietNam and the attempt to sweep it under the rug.
        And it's still going on.
        Lots of Gulf War 1 & 2 vets are going untreated as well.
        The way we treat our vets has been a national disgrace for a couple decades, carefully ignored by Corporate Media.

If I ran this circus, things would be DIFFERENT!

by CwV on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 11:48:35 AM PST

•  Lots of Gulf War (1+ / 0-)
          zett

veterans and Iraq veterans are going without help.  A lot of my classmates were working with the veterans coming home, but I believe those programs have been cut and limited as well now.  I have a family member dealing with not only the Gulf War, but also Iraq.  Some of the veterans can't talk especially to therapists in the private sector because they aren't allowed to talk, so some turn to substances to get through.

The media makes a game of war, with their big screens, corporate sets and corporate reporters acting like it is something to be excited about.

by zaka1 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 12:45:46 PM PST

•  Checked the VISN groups.. (1+ / 0-)
        zett

He falls within VISN 7 and looks like not much treatment in that area,  He is close to 16 and 8..
        I just put in a call to a VN combat vet with ptsd with 40 years law enforcement to offer services for negotiations
        It will take another vet and that guy will not trust a government negoiater, will have to another vet.  The vet I called upon is a winger and could identify but this is what is called for..IMO.  He is also in VISN 7.   Hope he gets my SOS message , This guy I know and he has the training to help and the Nam experience and probably could talk the RW talking points,

We the People have to make a difference and the Change.....Just do it ! Be part of helping us build a veteran community online. United Veterans of America

by Vetwife on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 01:17:20 PM PST

•  I have been looking for the VISN group (0+ / 0-)

There is a problem......