View Diary: Rape + Guns = Freedom. Or something. This image popped up on my facebook today. (138 comments)

•  i tried to write something coherent (38+ / 0-)

i couldn't

the world is just too crazy for me

i'm beginning to think 65 years on the planet is enough

after 50, things just get all too strange

Donate to Occupy Wall Street here: http://nycga.cc/donate/

by BlueDragon on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 09:53:34 AM PST

•  Don't think like that Blue. (48+ / 0-)

Look, we're fighting some of the worst people of the world.

As long as we fight we can win. You're old enough to know that.

If you're 65, then you were born in 1948. Think of the victories you have seen. We expanded social security and medicare. We toppled McCarthy and Nixon in their times. We're sweeping away the mistakes of Reagan now. Though they're trying to bring it back, we killed Jim Crow. Segregation as a law is dead.

I've seen a lot of pain in my own life, and our movement has seen its share of loss. Sure, we've got Martyrs like King, Evers, and the Kennedys. Sure, we haven't won every fight. Sure, there's more work to do.

But my generation wants to get these jobs done. On climate, on individual liberty and privacy, on the four freedoms, these are things we care about.

Stick around long enough to see what what the internet generation can do. You wont be disappointed.

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t'Saoghail. (The truth against the world.) Is treasa tuath na tighearna. (The common people are mightier than the lords.)

by OllieGarkey on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 10:01:58 AM PST

•  i know og, but in many ways (12+ / 0-)

it seems like we are losing the battle for a decent life on the planet.  ows and the arab spring gave me some real hope, but for every step forward, two steps back.  lock step.

part of this is just depression, but it is hard not to be depressed.

i felt safe during the clinton years even though he was undermining our economic structure in ways i didn't understand at the time.

since then, nothing we do as a country seems the least sane.

even obama's wins don't seem to help the overall picture, yet i know my students are more left than they were a few short years ago.  the economy teaches people real fast.

i'm fine with struggle and not even winning, but constantly fighting a battle which only results in a retrenching of the right wing to an even crazier space is scary.

if we still can't even have a gun conversation and not even on these pages, wtf?

we can't even say things like: no guns.  they do without them in Britain, our cultural fatherland, why can't we?

i know the reasons why we can't get there in our imaginations, but we can't even have the discussion?

my department doesn't want me to assign reading in my college courses.  really.  i am not exaggerating in any way.  students are actually asking me why they have to read books in my class.  i know how crazy this sounds but it is the literal truth.  the powers that be want us to convey literacy as an abstraction.

the English department here does not require Shakespeare of English majors.

the president doesn't want a college of arts and letters.

this is a big ten university.

Donate to Occupy Wall Street here: http://nycga.cc/donate/

by BlueDragon on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 04:05:18 PM PST

•  Sad state of affairs (3+ / 0-)

I am 62 and sometimes I feel as you've stated, that the world is in such a downward spiral the there's no hope.  That feeling usually doesn't last long as my anger rises at the crap that is happening now to tear down what was so hard to build up.  When I was young it was, "down with the man".  Now we are "the man".  Things are the way they are because we didn't make a better nation and world happen.  We got jobs, money, families.  Stuff.  We became complacent.  I am so encouraged by the current generation and actions such as Occupy.  Makes me want to take to the streets now.  Don't forget that it was our generation that got us to this point and we're not done until we say we're done.

•  I should not be as optimistic as I am... (4+ / 0-)
          LSophia, MNGrandma, OllieGarkey, marina

The Arab spring affected all non-Saudi puppets (like the GCC), if the Saudi people have their spring things will get interesting.  In the US, OWS was crushed.  However the underlying grievances are still there.  We seem to have just enough democracy to muddle along with a nice safety valve going off ever two years.  The reality is that our two parties are both broken, the Democrats less so.  Its clear to everyone not a insider that we have been changing players but not the rules of the game.  I don't think this game will last much longer.

As for the picture, standard stupid staged shot.  And the best weapon against rape?  Keeping your head.  Rape is a forcible felony and I don't care how a man or woman defends themselves.  Flee, hide, fight, it does not matter.  I won't judge you choices because I was not there.

The great recession has not been fun.  Been employed the entire time and fortunate enough for that, just tight labor markets has me trapped in a job I want to leave.

Under capitalism man exploits man, under communism the roles are reversed.

by DavidMS on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 05:27:46 PM PST

•  Just wait till the younger and younger generations (2+ / 0-)
          LSophia, radical simplicity

start voting.

The republicans are old and white, there aren't really any young ones. And there wont be as long as they're gun toting, pro-fossil fuel, pro 1% hatemongers. It's gonna take us a few decades, but we're going to have another Roosevelt era. Obama? He's Wilson. He's cleaning up a huge mess and helping lay the foundations for whoever comes next.

We really are on the cusp of political domination here. We just need to keep pushing the republicans. The crazier they get, the fewer people will support them.

by OllieGarkey on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 08:22:32 PM PST

•  I plan to send you a message sometime later today. (1+ / 0-)
          LSophia

I am dealing with similar issues.

"Corruptio Optimi Pessima" (Corruption of the best is the worst)

by zenox on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 03:55:39 AM PST

•  Best (or Worst) Feature: (10+ / 0-)

The cask of hooch just to her left on the firing platform. This image is pretty much a male libertarian's dream of ultimate irresponsibility.

---

"God is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

by dzog on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 01:06:20 PM PST

•  You know I feel that way too from time to (6+ / 0-)

time, especially after an episode like Sandy Hook. Too much ugliness in this world. I'm your age and we've seen it all--assassinations in the sixties, needless war after needless war, and now the slaughter of children in their classrooms, at Christmas. It gets to be too damn much to absorb. I suggest some time away from the news as a temporary remedy. Get involved in a hobby or volunteer. I read a lot of old classics for escape from the chaos of the modern world. We have to hang on and try to do good (yeah, be a do-gooder) and love our peeps and ourselves.

"Let's stay together"--Rev. Al Green and President Obama

by collardgreens on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:37:41 PM PST

•  I recommend farming (3+ / 0-)
        LSophia, BlueDragon, MNGrandma

It's restorative and you get fresh vegetables.

I also recommend taking action, but being very selection, and focusing on a small piece of where you can make a difference. Like creating an urban farm that raises food to feed hungry people. Or working for a local candidate you know and like. Or starting a blog to mock right wingers. I have done all of these things.

Jon Husted is a dick.