View Diary: NRA's opposition to universal background check shows just how unreasonable it plans to be (227 comments)

•  What about national licensing (7+ / 0-)

With annual renewal subject to passing a test and background check, different classes of licenses allowing different classes and numbers of firearms and ammo, etc., that could be revoked due to various events such as major gun safety violation, felony arrest or conviction, drunk driving, severe mental illness diagnosis, etc. With such a license in hand you could buy any gun, ammo or accessory you're entitled to, up to the allowed quantity, without per-purchase checks. Saves time, intrusion, bother, money, and makes everyone (almost) happy. Swipe, pay and go! Plus, it could be used as a general ID.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 01:34:49 PM PST

•  No need if NICS is functional...n/t (0+ / 0-)

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." -Zappa My Site

by meagert on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 01:48:46 PM PST

•  What's that? (1+ / 0-)
        DefendOurConstitution

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 01:49:13 PM PST

•  Never mind, looked it up (0+ / 0-)

But what's the difference between instant and full background check and why is one ok and the other intrusive and/or cumbersome?

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 01:53:08 PM PST

•  More intrusive, long wait n/t (0+ / 0-)

by meagert on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:28:31 PM PST

•  Thus licensing (3+ / 0-)
            trumpeter, Smoh, Calamity Jean

Which would do a thorough check once a year to speed things up, but be subject to instant revocation or downgrading if triggered by some disqualifying event, that either just happened, or was just found out.

Sure, it's intrusive. So is filing a tax return and obtaining a driver's license. Gun owners would have to just deal with it. In the end, everyone wins.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:35:44 PM PST

•  No need if NICS is funded and complied with. (0+ / 0-)

by meagert on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:46:03 PM PST

•  We're going in circles here (0+ / 0-)

I'm talking deep checks, which apparently NICS doesn't do and I believe are necessary. You say it's intrusive and cumbersome. I say tough on the former (so long as it's constitutional), and do licensing to deal with the latter.

I honestly could care less about whether this inconveniences gun owners. I'm vastly more concerned about keeping guns out of the wrong hands, which this won't completely solve, but will help with. I'm just suggesting a way to make it minimally inconvenient, even if it will be inconvenient.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:49:26 PM PST

•  2 minutes ago, you didn't know what NICS was (0+ / 0-)

now you're an expert, and couldn't care less about what I think. So I'll leave you to your own thoughts.

by meagert on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:57:11 PM PST

•  You yourself said it wasn't deep, or thorough (0+ / 0-)

And when I suggest a way to make it thorough but less cumbersome, you keep referring me to the NICS, which is a non-sequitor.

Are you here to advocate for the NRA, or have a real discussion, because the two are obviously mutually exclusive since the NRA is a front for the gun industry which wants minimal barriers to gun sales.

Your tone indicates to me what your priorities are.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777