View Diary: NRA's opposition to universal background check shows just how unreasonable it plans to be (227 comments)

•  Thus licensing (3+ / 0-)
    trumpeter, Smoh, Calamity Jean

Which would do a thorough check once a year to speed things up, but be subject to instant revocation or downgrading if triggered by some disqualifying event, that either just happened, or was just found out.

Sure, it's intrusive. So is filing a tax return and obtaining a driver's license. Gun owners would have to just deal with it. In the end, everyone wins.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:35:44 PM PST

•  No need if NICS is funded and complied with. (0+ / 0-)

"The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced." -Zappa My Site

by meagert on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:46:03 PM PST

•  We're going in circles here (0+ / 0-)

I'm talking deep checks, which apparently NICS doesn't do and I believe are necessary. You say it's intrusive and cumbersome. I say tough on the former (so long as it's constitutional), and do licensing to deal with the latter.

I honestly could care less about whether this inconveniences gun owners. I'm vastly more concerned about keeping guns out of the wrong hands, which this won't completely solve, but will help with. I'm just suggesting a way to make it minimally inconvenient, even if it will be inconvenient.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777

by kovie on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:49:26 PM PST

•  2 minutes ago, you didn't know what NICS was (0+ / 0-)

now you're an expert, and couldn't care less about what I think. So I'll leave you to your own thoughts.

by meagert on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:57:11 PM PST

•  You yourself said it wasn't deep, or thorough (0+ / 0-)

And when I suggest a way to make it thorough but less cumbersome, you keep referring me to the NICS, which is a non-sequitor.

Are you here to advocate for the NRA, or have a real discussion, because the two are obviously mutually exclusive since the NRA is a front for the gun industry which wants minimal barriers to gun sales.

Your tone indicates to me what your priorities are.

"Liberty without virtue would be no blessing to us" - Benjamin Rush, 1777