View Diary: PPP - Hillary with lead in Texas (46 comments)

•  While this is (8+ / 0-)

an interesting data point 4 years out from the election. However, in the grand scheme of things it is beyond meaningless.

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands?

by jsfox on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 01:39:09 PM PST

•  Amen, your sig is excellent too. ;) (3+ / 0-)
      anastasia p, slothlax, Jim H

I may have to put this on a sticky so I can copy and paste it 500+ times.

Hillary will be 69 in '16, she's been in the uber stress since '92. That does bad things for your health. POTUS is the most over the charts stress there is. Bill doesn't need to be First Guy. Their remaining years will be much healthier and more productive if she 'retires' now - like Carter, Bill and Al have done.

There is an incredible denial in looking ahead at this point and seeing the credible candidates. If anybody seriously suggested in '04 that Obama would be a contender in '08, my guess is it got a lot of laughs, or 'in our dreams'. Why are we so convinced we have to rely on the old guard to take us into a future that is going to take more than 8 years of bold action to turn climate change, the economy, resource conservation, and the empire around? Probably a few other things?

I love Joe and think he has been perfect for VP. He'll be 74 in '16. Don't even go there, whether he does or not.

by Ginny in CO on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 02:17:04 PM PST

•  Not just that, Ginny, (3+ / 0-)
        slothlax, Jim H, Ginny in CO

but in 2007, he was considered a lightweight contender. Heck, in early 2008, he was barely considered likely to prevail. I remember going to the county Democratic caucuses to elect convention delegates on a cold January day in 2008, and it was all Hillary, Hillary, Hillary. I was an Edwards supporter, but I couldn't find the very tiny Edwards caucus, and someone I know who was active in the Obama campaign bribed me to come vote for his slate by promising they would serve Indian food. So I did. The Indian food was good, and my friend got elected a delegate.

I ESPECIALLY agree with your statement "Why are we so convinced we have to rely on the old guard to take us into a future that is going to take more than 8 years of bold action to turn climate change, the economy, resource conservation, and the empire around?"

It bothers me to see such a failure of imagination and vision among people who claim they want to further progressive values that all they can envision is a rerun of the past. We should be looking for newer, younger leaders, not recycling familiar names.

Jon Husted is a dick.

by anastasia p on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 03:19:22 PM PST

•  I was Edwards too although Obama was (0+ / 0-)

really upsetting everything. Our caucuses were just after Edwards dropped out, no one from Obama's campaign came to talk for him so I winged it. He won and had stunned everyone in Iowa. Really exhilarating coming from a family very active in the civil rights movement from ~ '47. Both my parents were '83, thrilled, amazed and doing plenty to get him elected. They are still alive, were a little less active for '12 and just as proud of him.

I was working for a home care agency and spent a lot of time with one of the nurse specialists. She had Reagan pictures on all the walls in her office. A bunch of us were standing at the elevators talking and when we got to the campaign I expressed a generic comment about how historic Obama's success was. I think it took her 5 milliseconds to say "He'll never win."  Unfortunately I left before the election and didn't get the chance to see how she took the win, let alone the inauguration.

Hoping he will grow a little bold this term.

by Ginny in CO on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 11:34:03 PM PST

•  It's not denial (1+ / 0-)
        Ginny in CO

It's that many people see Hillary as the best chance to elect the first woman president.

Just because of that, there will be a lot of pressure on her to run until either she definitively slams the door shut, or other viable women candidates for 2016 take the stage.

Please help to fight hunger with a donation to Feeding America.

by MJB on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 04:51:24 PM PST

•  I want to as well on the 1st woman as we did (1+ / 0-)
          MJB

on the 1st AA. She has a lot of talent and experience. Environment is not included. It is essential. Nor do I think she is progressive enough. Couple of votes really upset me.

Other women will be getting up there, and men. I am more interested in the best Dem than a first or second anything.

by Ginny in CO on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 11:08:28 PM PST

•  Agree on the progressive part... (1+ / 0-)
            Ginny in CO

... another reason that people like HRC as a candidate is that she is tough.  She won't let the VRWC roll her over.

The value of being tough and standing up for yourself can be seen in the contrast between HRC's performance before a senate committee last week as opposed to Hagel's performance before a senate committee on Thursday.  We absolutely have to have a presidential nominee with the gumption to take everything and dish it back twice as hard.  No more Dukakises, ever.

So, if a candidate like that, only more progressive, emerges, then yeah, a lot of us will take notice.

Please help to fight hunger with a donation to Feeding America.

by MJB on Thu Jan 31, 2013 at 11:26:25 PM PST

•  Well as a Dukakis Democrat, I resemble that. ;) (1+ / 0-)
              MJB

He had a hell of a lot of highly organized, under the radar negative slander from the evangelical movement. What's his face who did the Willie ads and apologized years later when he had an incurable brain tumor was all too effective above the radar.

And then the Dems kept repeating the GOP talking crap instead of having his back. It was really clear to me from an experience at the caucuses and a seminar I took after, that the GOP machine was in high gear, very effective and really ugly with the lies, etc. It took 20 years for Dems to really get that method through their heads.

Meanwhile we lost Gore and Kerry. I sometimes wonder why some of the candidates are willing to jump in our campaigns as much as we tear down our own.

Tough talk doesn't impress me that much. She is smart but I don't think she is very good in how she articulates things. The 'what does it matter' comment that so many were impressed by I thought was lame. I thought Hagel dodged the stoopid from Cruz and McCain, letting them show the extent of the crazy ideology. Just had to score points, regardless of meaning or importance.

I grew up with a lot of intelligent conversation and think that people who can articulate their ideas well, understand how other people think so the comments are geared to greater understanding get farther. In politics you have to be willing to 'lose' the argument with adversaries as long as you win with your cohorts and take that to the public.

What Obama has really done for us is the 21st century presidential campaign management, organization, etc. With the GOP digging their own grave, as long as the redistricting fails, we should be able to win '16.

by Ginny in CO on Fri Feb 01, 2013 at 12:06:21 AM PST