View Diary: Glenn Greenwald and His Repulsive Hypocrisy (190 comments)

FiredUpInCA

I now know all I need to know about Mr Greenwald's political acumen.

•  And from this example of your judgement (1+ / 0-)
      Agathena

I know all I need to know of your acumen.

Greenwald was once apolitical, a decade ago.

Gee, in your mind that invalidates every opinion he expresses for the rest of his life.

Brilliant!

by ZhenRen on Sun Feb 03, 2013 at 02:28:32 PM PST

•  It's still makes sense in order to be objective, (1+ / 0-)
        ZhenRen

a writer should not be partisan. Look at this site where opinions are molded by partisanship.

To thine ownself be true

by Agathena on Sun Feb 03, 2013 at 04:38:56 PM PST

•  I know third parties do not fly in the USA (0+ / 0-)

If he think reform will come form 3rd parties, he's either vastly mistaken or simply pandering to a market niche. He's a capitalist after all.

•  He's not talking about political parties, he is (1+ / 0-)
          ZhenRen

talking about non-partisan independents outside the political system acting as critics and watchdogs.

O B J E C T I V I T Y  is the goal.

To thine ownself be true

by Agathena on Sun Feb 03, 2013 at 11:15:47 PM PST

•  But his quote says differently (0+ / 0-)
            "I think the only means of true political change will come from people working outside of that [two-party electoral] system to undermine it, and subvert it, and weaken it, and destroy it; not try to work within it to change it."
            If he is talking about destroying the two party system, then he is talking about one of two things:

a) A Single-party state such as the old USSR.

B) A multi-party state such as Israel

But definitely NOT

c) A two-party system.

I thought I was giving Mr Greenwald the benefit of the doubt. I do not think he advocateds a dictatorship. So we are left with "B" more than two parties.

These are commonly referred to as "third parties" in American parlance.

I stand on my original statement. Mr Greenwald is telling his audience that third parties are the way to go. And I stand by my characterization. In advocating this, Mr Greenwald is either an incompetent political analyst, or more likely, is simply pandering to a market niche.

•  Exactly (0+ / 0-)

And those individuals, by the way, who don't perceive how badly the system is broken, are simply not awake, and are blinded by partisanship.

Money has corrupted the media, both parties, all branches of government, every strata of bureaucracy, so thoroughly that the system is not correcting itself through the built-in checks and balances.

Only by remaining sufficiently outside and independent (not referring to a third party, but to true independence) can accurate observations be made, and effective criticisms be expressed by writers and journalists.

Greenwald has become very good in this regard.

by ZhenRen on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 12:13:59 PM PST

•  Straight into an ad hominem (1+ / 0-)
        Quicklund
        And from this example of your judgement (1+ / 0-)
        I know all I need to know of your acumen.
        Some people never learn

The Fall of the House of Murdoch -with Eric Lewis and all the latest Leveson evidence out now!

by Brit on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 01:10:58 AM PST

•  Funny (0+ / 0-)

Obviously you came here directly to my comment from a link you were given off site, either that or you're not bothering to accurately read the thread, because otherwise you would have known I was parroting the person I was replying to.

My comment makes a substantive point, and throws the insult of the parent comment back in it's face.

Thanks for the chuckle. Nice try, but clearly you aren't on that high road so many pretend to follow.

This entire piece is a shallow smear.

by ZhenRen on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 11:00:13 AM PST

•  And what's funnier (0+ / 0-)

is quicklund, the originator of the insult, recs your comment!

Priceless! And so brilliant!

by ZhenRen on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 11:02:05 AM PST

•  Offsite link? (0+ / 0-)

I commented on this diary way before you did.

As always, a castle of piffle constructed on a provably false assumption

by Brit on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 11:15:10 AM PST

•  Heh (0+ / 0-)

If you weren't so bent on being hostile, you would read with more comprehension. Reread my comment, reread the comment I replied to.

This is ridiculous, and really quite funny. Upon seeing a comment by me you react like some sort of enraged bull, blinded by fury, seeing the red flag of the matador.

Shall I send your dead threading insults to Kos, so he can see you as you really are? Nah... not worth it.

by ZhenRen on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 11:57:14 AM PST

•  Deadthread? (0+ / 0-)

You make this accusation without seeing I'm one of the first commenters on this diary

And when I demolish your opening smear against me, accuse me pathetically of bullying you in a dead thread

Suggestion - don"t lie about people, then maybe they'll leave you alone

And 'parrot excuse' - that you were mimicking your interlocutor - is just ad hom squared. Think about it: mimicry plus insult

by Brit on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 12:16:58 PM PST

•  LOL (0+ / 0-)

Makes me smile. Poor fellow, you really thin k you can sell this "logic" and don't see how foolish this is.

Here, I'll spell it out for you.

I now know all I need to know about Mr Greenwald's political acumen.

And from this example of your judgement (1+ / 0-)

I know all I need to know of your acumen.

Greenwald was once apolitical, a decade ago.

Brilliant!

So, your partisan stance is so complete you don't see the insult by Quicklund, but find it within your grasp to perceive ad hominem insult in my comment to his. My point, oh brightest light of the universe, is that the attacks on Greenwald exploit his apolitical stance a decade ago, in an attempt to discredit his stances ten years later. Talk about ad hominem. The entire attack on the man is ad hominem.

LOL. Really quite entertaining.

by ZhenRen on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 12:25:44 PM PST

•  Kossack criticises famous pundit (0+ / 0-)

You retort - with obeisance to authority and fame - by attacking Kossack

Open and closed case. Catch ya later

by Brit on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 02:24:25 PM PST

•  Oh boy... (0+ / 0-)

This is so logically challenged, Brit. It's quite the opposite. My comments have nothing at all that is remotely "obeisance to authority of fame". Fame has no real authority. Your comment is such a non-sequitor that I can only surmise, justifiably I think, that you're not giving your responses any thought whatsoever.

What gives? Are you okay?

I realize what is likely occurring here is you want to save face after having jumped into a thread with a rather overly quick, and thus flawed response, but it isn't working. Or perhaps you know that you can't embarrass yourself with your friends no matter how out of line you are. Whatever.

My response to quicklund was entirely appropriate within the context of his remark. I think you are responding according to grudge on your part.

by ZhenRen on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 02:36:29 PM PST

•  no problem, it's on Wiki, available to the world. (1+ / 0-)
      Quicklund

• Rescued (21)
  • 2016 (21)
  • Racism (20)
  • Media (20)
  • Environment (20)
  • Barack Obama (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site