View Diary: The Honey And Vinegar of Pronouns (67 comments)

•  Brandt reminds me of every psychologist (10+ / 0-)

I've ever met.

Bear in mind that psychology is famous for being the easiest major on campus. You just don't get first rate minds in the field (unless you believe Steven Pinker is a first rate mind, which I don't).

Bright people who want to study how the brain does what it does go in neuroscience, not psychology. But you need to be able to learn both math and biochemistry to do that.

Therapists / "counsilors" are still worse. Most of them don't even have bachelor's in psych, because they couldn't pass the required statistics classes. So they major in... whatever... and then go to some Online University to get their masters and their license to practice. They are not even required to go through training therapy themselves any more.

And these are the people we trust to make decisions about children's lives. These are the people who will be expected to identity problem kids for a database of "high risk of mass shooter" people. Gender-variant kids are sure to be dumped headfirst into any database of undesirables maintained by this crowd.

•  We dealt with a counselor (9+ / 0-)

who was no where near as bright as my son, and she frustrated the hell out of him. I sat in on one session and did most of the "counselor" talk. After that, she seemed to get what she was supposed to be doing. But my son was done with her.

In an odd way, I think he gained some confidence in dealing with her. He has some self-esteem issues, and here was an adult, supposedly with the appropriate background to give him answers and some sense of direction, but who just didn't get it. Helped him to see that he's actually pretty smart.

•  I know (7+ / 0-)

Most school psychologists are of a special breed of sour fruit.

Republicans want to make government small enough to fit in your vagina..

by ramara on Sun Feb 03, 2013 at 05:47:17 PM PST

•  I have met decent psychologists. (7+ / 0-)

They are sadly outnumbered and overshadowed by the bad ones.

Honestly, not having a first-rate mind isn't nearly as harmful as having a stunted capacity for empathy.  This fellow Brandt clearly has little or none.

•  Finding a decent psychologist is nigh impossible (4+ / 0-)
      coquiero, kyril, Avilyn, SilentBrook

There are plenty of diamonds in the rough, but damn there's a lot of rough between diamonds...

"...we can all shut-up and go back to our caves." - Leonard Bernstein

by progdog on Sun Feb 03, 2013 at 07:30:42 PM PST

•  I am a school psychologist (11+ / 0-)

and I am working very hard not to lose my temper.  I am sorry you have had bad luck with psychologists.  Not all are created equal, just as in any other profession.  But your comments are not accurate.

First, it is NOT the easiest major on campus--that would be education, social work or sociology.  Stat courses are not for the stupid.  Nor is anatomy and physiology, chemistry, biology or many of the advanced classes.  You note that counselors (your spelling leads me to question your intellect, or at least your proofreading!)  often don't have a psych degree--why do you suppose that might be if psychology degrees are such fluff?

The only branch of psychology that doesn't require a doctoral degree to go into practice and call oneself a psychologist is school psychology, which requires a three-year masters or ed specialist degree, and I am not aware of these classes being offered online.  And the reason people choose psychology over neuropsychology is that they typically want to be more connected to people.  Neuropychologists don't do therapy.

The school psychologist in this diary is a jerk.  There are jerks everywhere.  That attitude is not what I would expect from any of my colleagues.  Don't paint us all with the same brush.

Be bold. Be courageous. Americans are counting on you. Gabby Giffords.

by Leftleaner on Sun Feb 03, 2013 at 09:29:16 PM PST

•  I am so sorry (7+ / 0-)

Clearly I and some of those who commented  have had bad experiences with others in your profession but in no way should that reflect on ALL school psychologists.

There is a great opportunity for those like you to provide insight and support to marginalized children like mine. I think that along with being a jerk, Mr. Brandt was uninformed about the kinds of issues children like Alice face. It is my hope that more school districts will provide the proper information and training to encourage staff to support gender-variant children.

Again, I apologize for what must feel like a personal attack.

"All politics is personal"

by laurustina on Sun Feb 03, 2013 at 11:26:45 PM PST

•  I am sorry that you ran into one of the (0+ / 0-)

narrow-minded people that exist everywhere.  I hate to see them in my profession.  This is a link to the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) website page that lists several articles about making schools safe for students with sexual differences.  This is by far the prevalent mindset of the school psychologists I have known.  The links to the articles in question are about halfway down the page.

NASP

Be bold. Be courageous. Americans are counting on you. Gabby Giffords.

by Leftleaner on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 05:18:26 PM PST

•  Why is it that transpeople always have "bad luck" (1+ / 0-)
        samddobermann

with shrinks all our lives? And whenever we complain about their stupidity, psychologists are quick to tell us we are wrong.

And stat courses in psychology departments are for the stupid, BTW. Try taking the ones the math department offers instead.

•  stupidity vs. subject-specific ignorance (3+ / 0-)
          rserven, theKgirls, SilentBrook

I think that transgender issues are one of those rare things that many mental health professionals are generally ignorant of. It is certainly the case that trans people spent much too much of their time having to educate those in positions of power/whose professional position is to help them.

But there is a distinction between stupidity and ignorance that is important to make. One is incurable and the other can be overcome. A big part of trans advocacy involves educating those around us. It's not the way it SHOULD be, but it is the way it IS.

"All politics is personal"

by laurustina on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 09:04:05 AM PST

•  Many people are educable; but shrinks are not (0+ / 0-)

Their "education" prevents it. They truly believe that their naive attempts at classification of human diversity represent some sort of eternal underlying reality, rather than evanescent social labels.

I've experienced a lifetime of oppression from shrinks and "school psychologists". Even as an adult we are not free from them, because you need a "diagnosis" from them to get surgery. (And we used to need a "diagnosis" to get hormones, but the Internet and offshore pharmacies changed that.) For decades, they were in the business of denying hormones to people they didn't think would turn out to be attractive heterosexual women. Shrinks are gender police.

And I for one do not feel an obligation to educate our oppressors. This is like trying to educate your domestic abuser husband. You cannot educate someone who holds unjust power over you. Our progress comes on the mass culture front -- through media images and high profile people like Chas Bono or Lana Wachowski. It comes on the legal front by working as an activist. It does not come from futile attempts to "educate" individual idiot shrinks.

•  Yeah, (1+ / 0-)
        Leftleaner

good that you said something, because the piling on seemed very unneccesary, even if I understand that bad experiences can shape peoples opinions.

"We judge ourselves by our ideals; others by their actions. It is a great convenience." -- Howard Zinn

by Mudderway on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 05:56:29 AM PST

•  I should remember (1+ / 0-)
          laurustina

that when someone says that ALL of any profession are bad, it is the problem of the speaker, not the profession.

Be bold. Be courageous. Americans are counting on you. Gabby Giffords.

by Leftleaner on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 05:22:33 PM PST