View Diary: Bagging rice for the inevitable (48 comments)

•  Did I wake up in a 1950s FreeRepublic nightmare? (1+ / 0-)
    Prairie Gal

Wtf?

A scare-mongering prepper diary on DailyKos? With various implications that this somehow relates to current debates over gun-violence? With veiled hints about vigilante justice, following natural disasters? All of it fitting a right-wing (Lakatos) discourse?

Yes, most of us have supplies in our pantries, that we refresh on an ongoing basis, usually enough to last a couple weeks, so there's no need to hermetically seal things for 10 years (and not enough room in my apartment for such dead-storage). Yes, my family is stocked with career Army, Scouts, backpackers, hunters, fishers, wild foragers, etc. And none of us supports this kind of claptrap.

No, most of us are not going to live through a Katrina/Sandy type of disaster, and even if we do we're not likely to be victims of looting. (And if someone comes to loot my pantry for food, no, I won't kill them for it.)

(McCarthyism against Hagel/Gore, duck-and-cover on DailyKos -- what decade is this?)

Join us at RASA: Repeal or Amend the Second Amendment. (Repeal will not ban guns, just help regulate them.)

by Sharon Wraight on Sun Feb 03, 2013 at 11:25:05 PM PST

•  I sealed up bags of rice 3 years ago... (6+ / 0-)

I recently looked up the shelf life of rice - 25 to 30 years.

I was surprised. Some good information here i.e. plastic containers, other long-lasting foods.

And the poeple bowed and prayed To the neon god they made...

by third Party please on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 04:17:21 AM PST

•  How many strawmen can you pack in one comment? (9+ / 0-)

Scare-mongering? Strawman. What a load of crap. I am making a point about being prepared and not depending on others for your well being.

Vigilante justice? Strawman. I said no such thing.

Hermetically sealed? Strawman. I said no such thing.

You live in an area with no hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, or power outages? Sounds like Shangri-la to me.

Attacking Hagel/Gore? Strawman. I said no such thing.

Duck & cover? Strawman.

This is the 21st century. And yet there are still very old fashioned natural disasters. Imagine that.

This diary is obviously not for you. I suggest you ignore it and rely on whomever for your personal well being. You have it all under control. I can sense it.

I don't know which lie to believe anymore.

by Captain Janeway on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 04:50:31 AM PST

•  Why are you attacking the diarist? WTF??? (7+ / 0-)

"FreeRepublic"??? "scare-mongering prepper"???

"veiled hints about vigilante justice'???

You do understand there are many of us here that believe a firearm is like any other tool that one should have in their tool chest?

Or is this framing too mundane and non-controversial so you had to create these strawmen arguments to attack to "spice it up a bit"???

If as you've claimed that your family is stocked with x,y and z. Do any of them own firearms? Because that's what you want to debate here isn't it? NOT the substance of this very informative diary.

What's the longest you've ever lived without power, water, heat?  Katrina woke many Americans up, myself included.  I was one of those "happy-go-lucky" individuals that never realized the frailty of our "just-in-time" supply chain.

You do know we only have enough National supplies for 72 hours, right?  We once had over 7 yrs of grains and food stuffs.  72 hours!

What you fail to understand here is the diarist pointed out that $20 worth of rice packaged properly can be stored and forgotten, IF AND WHEN the time may come one might need it.

She's presented us with Food Safety Procedures that accepted as the golden standard in the Food Industry.

Why are you feigning some other intent here?  The Amish know how to do all this and more, are they "scare-mongering" too????

I was taught by my mother and father how to farm and can food.  ARE you trying to make that knowledge and experience forbidden?  Why?

Oh, right, "redstate prepper mentality".

Ughhhhhhh!

by gerrilea on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 05:35:12 AM PST

•  Your post... OMG... (1+ / 1-)
      PavePusher
      Hidden by:
      BvueDem

Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before...

by Tom Seaview on Mon Feb 04, 2013 at 03:13:26 PM PST

•  Self-defense, and defense of essential.... (1+ / 0-)
      theatre goon

survival supplies, is NOT "vigilante justice".

The rest of your hyperbolic "clap-trap" is similarly nonsense.

Good word, by the way, thanks!