View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Live Digest: 2/8 (234 comments)

•  Chris Christie reminds us he's a bully (17+ / 0-)

Story here:  http://www.azfamily.com/...

I actually agree that it's inappropriate for the doctor to pretend to diagnose Christie's health through the news.  It mirrors Bill Frist pretending to diagnose Terri Schiavo by what he sees on TV.

But Christie is fucking calling her to yell at her?  Dude, get a grip, you've lost your mind.

Christie is an emotional and demonstrative guy who can come off good-humored as on Letterman and occasionally as a positive fighter politically as in responding to Sandy, but these unhinged moments are things that would matter in a Presidential campaign.

General election voters demand an even temper from their President.

I don't think this will hurt Christie enough to derail him for this November.  There need to be more incidents for this to hurt him short-term.  But this is the sort of non-partisan problem that GOP primary opponents can use against him in 2016.

44, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 11:39:56 AM PST

•  so (2+ / 0-)
      LordMike, MichaelNY

they won't have many televised debates this fall?

The Republican Party isn't a party of small government, it's a party of a government for the few. @bhindepmo

by RBH on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 11:52:42 AM PST

•  Remember how he antagonistically (6+ / 0-)

yelled down a constituent?

"Once, many, many years ago I thought I was wrong. Of course it turned out I had been right all along. But I was wrong to have thought I was wrong." -John Foster Dulles. My Political Compass Score: -4.00, -3.69, Proud member of DKE

by ArkDem14 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 12:07:09 PM PST

•  Not the incident I was thinking of, (4+ / 0-)
        KingofSpades, DCCyclone, MichaelNY, gabjoh

but they are truly numerous. The only good thing Christie could have done as governor was take on Norcross and get him sent to prison, but he hasn't done that.

by ArkDem14 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 12:08:16 PM PST

•  The doctor's diagnosis is absolutely right (4+ / 0-)
      atdnext, askew, LordMike, MichaelNY

At the weight he is currently at (300 lbs.?), he's a ticking time bomb. When he was on Letterman he could barely fit in the chair! And it won't be easy to run for president (which can be grueling) when you're carrying around an extra 150 pounds.

He responded so sharply because he knows what she said is true.

•  People are self-conscious about their obesity (4+ / 0-)
        atdnext, GloFish, LordMike, MichaelNY

But the fact is that in running for President, looks matter a lot.  The nation has not had an obese president since Taft.  Clinton was overweight at first, but not Taft or Christie-level.

"Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game." -Voltaire

by KingofSpades on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 12:31:46 PM PST

•  I think he'd end up being just around (7+ / 0-)

President Taft in weight category(335lbs). My hometown actually built a giant chair for Taft when he came to visit. But he was so insulted that never actually sat on it.

In fact, the occasional victory for the GOP cannot hide the fact that this country is fast heading into another era, not of two-party democracy, but a party-and-a-half system. And the GOP is the half a party- Larry Sabato

by lordpet8 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 12:34:24 PM PST

•  The last sentence of your first paragraph... (7+ / 0-)

...is absolutely right.  Running for President is physicially very grueling, which is why major candidates are always in very good shape.

And at Christie's weight, it almost certainly would take a toll on him and be much more difficult than for others.

But diagnosing his health is something best left to those close to him, it really wasn't necessary for that doctor to say anything in public.  We can all have our personal opinions as citizens and are entitled to them, and sharing them in various fora is fine, but pretending to be an actual authority on his health is a different thing entirely.

by DCCyclone on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 12:36:07 PM PST

•  He wouldn't be the only modern (5+ / 0-)

GOP candidate for president to have such issues.  Mike Huckabee once weighed 300+ and is said to have sat down on a chair and broken it under him about 10 years ago, when he was Arkansas Governor.

Subsequently he lost 110 pounds and talked endlessly about it during his presidential campaign.  He sometimes sounded as if he were running for national personal trainer rather than president.

37, MD-8 (MD-6 after 2012) resident, NOVA raised, Euro/Anglophile Democrat

by Mike in MD on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 12:56:55 PM PST

•  Honestly wouldn't he have the best doctors (3+ / 0-)
      atdnext, LordMike, MichaelNY

in the country if he was president. I mean how many heart attacks did Cheney have?

But yes he does come off as way too abbrassive for national politics (though Republican primary base loves that aspect of him)

by lordpet8 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 12:21:35 PM PST

•  He's morbidly obese (7+ / 0-)

The doctor didn't make a diagnosis, but more of a general observation. Christie is probably almost 400lbs and has been hospitalized for having trouble breathing, so he does have a problem. For him to flip out on her suggests that she made a valid point and he realized it.

You can't be President and weigh that much, because in an high stress situation, there would be a high risk of heart attack and stroke.

26, Male, CA-26, DK Elections Black Caucus Chair.

by DrPhillips on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 12:35:42 PM PST

•  While (2+ / 0-)
      MichaelNY, DCCyclone

While his weight is a legitimate issue, since it's obvious that he's morbidly obese, I can't say I feel comfortable with a doctor going around on television basically trolling him, and I say this as a skinny guy.

That said, what I think I agree with you even more on is his reaction to her, and generally, his reaction to any criticism.  This man is a petty bully, and has been for a very long time.  He has not the temperament for higher  office, and I hate that this bullying has been presented as "telling it like it is."  I guess it just goes to show how wanting and broken our political system is that someone composing himself like some common thug is admired for his boorish personality.