View Diary: GFHC: From the Extended Family Tree - Ahead of Their Time (68 comments)

•  Thanks, Lady Libertine. (8+ / 0-)

I did some reading on the history of photography and found the same thing as you did. I was looking for confirmation that I hadn't missed something and you've given me that.

Inspiration is hard to come by. You have to take it where you find it. --- Bob Dylan.

by figbash on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 10:56:59 AM PST

•  any way to trace (5+ / 0-)

the find-a-grave source? where did they get it? hmmm
      Well, best of luck!

If I can't dance I don't want to be part of your revolution. ~ Emma Goldman

by Lady Libertine on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 11:29:49 AM PST

•  Any chance it's (7+ / 0-)

the other Harris Wooten (1823-1901) from Find A Grave?

Also saw the listing showing him, with same dates, buried in a different nearby cemetery. Maybe your commenter was referring to this?

Republicans...think the American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it. Harry S. Truman

by fenway49 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 11:34:56 AM PST

•  I meant Wooten Harris (6+ / 0-)

Not Harris Wooten. Sorry!

by fenway49 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 11:53:58 AM PST

•  fenway49, the genealogy wizard, (8+ / 0-)

strikes again.

The pic on Find-A-Grave is definitely attached to the wrong Wooten Harris. I figured the photo must have been of one of his nephews or grand-nephews - he had 7 brothers - but I was wanting a little more confirmation of my skepticism before I gently suggest that the photo is attached to the wrong guy. I looked around in the family tree on Ancestry but didn't go far enough afield to find another Wooten. Should have searched on Find-A-Grave in the first place. D'oh.

Thanks to everybody who helped me out here. Did I say this community is one of the very best there is on the GOS?

by figbash on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 02:38:37 PM PST

•  Someone up in NH (5+ / 0-)

just pointed out to me this week that Emerson's oldest daughter and her husband are buried in the same cemetery he is, and her grave identifies her parents. I was mostly, but not 100%, sure I had the right person, but didn't know when she and her husband died. Sure enough, it's on Find-A-Grave. I'd looked at Emerson's page but no others.

by fenway49 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 03:34:08 PM PST

•  Seems the other one was a grandson (3+ / 0-)
            Land of Enchantment, Jim H, figbash

I clicked to his father (Benjamin Harris), who is listed as a son of your Wooten Harris. The date Benjamin allegedly was born (1775) makes the first Wooten 16 when Benjamin was born, and Benjamin 48 when the second Wooten was born. Possible but got me thinking the DOB is wrong for Benjamin on Find-A-Grave. This source says Benjamin was born 20 years later, in 1795. Sounds more like it.

by fenway49 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 03:42:47 PM PST

• Education (21)
  • Hillary Clinton (21)
  • Politics (20)
  • Health Care (20)
  • Freddie Gray (20)
  • Media (19)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site