View Diary: My Journey as a 9/11 Republican Turned Modern Progressive (263 comments)

•  Interesting read (3+ / 0-)

Pardon me if I remain skeptical.  Something about a smell test if yanno what I mean.  Nothing specific, just in general.

•  I call bullshit on the whole thing, honestly. (3+ / 0-)

A privileged kid goes to Europe, smokes some dope and parties at the local pub, then considers himself to be a "modern progressive".

All the while, admitting that knowing what he knows, that he would still vote for a president because he wanted "revenge".  Just because you're socially liberal, kid, doesn't make you a progressive.

Foreign, brown people's lives matter, even if you only viewed them from your tour bus window.

"Kindly go render the fat in your head in a large kettle of boiling water. Thank you." - Bumblebums -7.38, -6.46

by balancedscales on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 09:46:53 PM PST

•  Honestly (2+ / 0-)
        Lost and Found, wishingwell

Honestly, I was being kind.   ;)

•  His references to the Democratic party of the (1+ / 0-)
        Lost and Found

past being " infested with communism" gave me pause. And then another comment where he says,  " I am not a communist".  I thought I was back at the McCarthy hearings.  Those statements I found more odd than anything else. I seldom hear people under a certain age talking about communism in that way.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 08:51:52 AM PST

•  Except I never once said that (1+ / 0-)
          wishingwell

It's funny how half of these negative comments are outright lies

1) Never referred to Democrats as communists. I was giving you a history lesson on the "Progressive Party", specifically Wallace's in reference to communist influence. Again, read the article I referenced you before..

2) Never voted for W. twice, because I was too young to have even done that.

3) I'm not one who changes decisions I've made past, mistakes or otherwise.
          term

Although after seeing a lot of these comments I'm starting to get what Dean Baker meant by the "Loser Liberals".

•  I never said you voted for W twice but you did (0+ / 0-)

but check your posts for your references to communism.  Or I can quote them later but I would love for you to explain your references to communism.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 11:09:46 AM PST

•  typo, I mean you did reference communism and (0+ / 0-)

its link to the progressive part of the Democratic party in the past or far left or something to that effect, did you not? And by far left, how far left is that ?  Cite some examples if you have time.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 11:10:59 AM PST

•  No i didn't (0+ / 0-)

I referenced PROGRESSIVE PARTY.

I even gave you specific names and time periods and a work by Wallace regarding specifically the communist infestation comments.

I don't know what else you want from me, seriously.

•  Try to relax, I am ending my part of this (0+ / 0-)

discussion as it is clearly upsetting you.  I was just asking for more clarification instead of being given sources to explore. I was hoping you could explain it more from your own perspective rather than just quotes from others.

But that is Ok. I am a very calm person and I do not anger easily and I have been involved in the Democratic Party politics for 37 yrs and I have been here for 8. I have seen and learned so much and I know for me, when it is best to exit a diary and a discussion. All the best to you. I will read more of your diaries in the future and then perhaps I will gain a clearer understanding.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 12:24:19 PM PST

•  Loser Liberals? Really? Making that reference (1+ / 0-)
            Lost and Found

is not going to help you gain trust from members here or help those who have some skepticism believe you are sincerely a modern progressive. Why insult us just because people have questions or comments or skepticism or want more detail, etc?

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 11:14:04 AM PST

•  Dean Baker is himself (0+ / 0-)

a progressive economist.

I'm merely referencing what a progressive has said himself about liberals and their overreach.

I'm not trying to "gain trust", especially from individuals who are making up outright lies about me to serve as a basis for criticizing me on a strawman instead of legitimate criticism of the content of my opinions.

I never ONCE mentioned calling democrats communists.

I've written numerous diary entries here in the few months I've been a member, one can read through them to discover who I am.

I don't need people to make up lies about my time in Europe or other travels, or lies about my history or my beliefs. I've been more than open here, and answering people who are just saying "I call bullshit" based on a slew of lies is not really very productive is it?

•  I was just curious at to the references to (0+ / 0-)

communists and communism in your comments above. I was just asking for more clarification. That is all.  But I think I will just end this discussion and move on from this diary as apparently you are becoming angry at the comments in your diary. I do not wish to upset you or cause you grief so I shall exit. I wish you the very best and have a pleasant day. But I am being misundestood as well and it is best to just move on from this. As I have clearly upset you with some of my comments.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 12:20:48 PM PST

•  It branched (0+ / 0-)

From the discussion over "what is a Progressive"

The Teddy Roosevelt Progressives were different in many ways from the Wallace Progressives.

And that's why I was saying, well I'm not a communist, if that's what people are defining Progressives as from the Wallace era (something He wrote about in the work I cited earlier).

It was not ever in any reference to any democrats.

And how can I not become angry at comments that are downright lies? You've replied to numerous comments claiming that I was saying the democratic party was infested with communists, when I didn't.

Do you see where I'm coming from at all?

I was cordial to the valid criticism over my Bush comment, but why the hell do I have to deal with people just making up things about me and then criticizing me based on that? I mean I've laid out pages worth of my opinions here, why would someone make up lies when it's all out in the open?

•  You're been lying throughout all your (0+ / 0-)

comments on this thread against me.

I've been kind enough to you in the face of these bald lies, but now you have to be called out.

You can't keep just making things up. First you claim i was "only on campus" while in Europe. Except anyone who has traveled around Europe knows they don't have a "campus city" style college infrastructure the way the US does.

Then you claimed I never traveled outside of northern Europe, when I've lived in numerous different places in much less flattering areas in the world.

Now you're claiming I went to Europe to smoke dope and party at the local pub? I don't even know how to respond to such strange strawmen.

I get it, you hate Bush, and you hate me becasue I won't invent a time machine and change my vote in the past. But get over it. You're not the gatekeeper for who is a progressive and who is not.

All i know is I've seen a truly ugly side of liberals in your comments and other people's comments on this thread. I understand what a lot of people have told me about so-called liberals now. But I know that liars like you are the exception and that liberals are on a whole much more tolerant and open-minded and pleasant than conservatives.

•  Something that might help to explain why (0+ / 0-)

we are bound to be a little cautious is we have seen people come here with similar stories and then we find out more information. I have been here 8 years and I have read stories similar to yours and the people were welcomed here and have been here since and all is well. But on the other hand, we have seen some fake stories and we have been burned or fooled for a while.  We just went through an incident  in the past year where the newbie claimed to be someone he was not  And it was not a pleasant experience at all. So try to understand that we are not singling you out or picking on you.

I happen to believe your story and welcome to Dkos... but try not to take comments so seriously and be so defensive as none of this is personal.  We often challenge each other's opinions and get into some heated debates. It happens.

We get into vigorous debates here.   That is just how things go.  We do not just agree with everyone and their opinion, we challenge each other and the discussions get involved.  But I do not believe anyone is lying about you, they are just voicing their opinions based on what you wrote.  But you seem to be getting angry over this instead of just saying to the person, " You are wrong and explaining why.  Just a helpful hint from a long time member here.  Hope that helps.

Follow PA Keystone Liberals on Twitter: @KeystoneLibs

by wishingwell on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 11:35:28 AM PST

•  I have no problem whatsoever (0+ / 0-)

With rigorous debate, and I openly welcomed that in this entry.

I got defensive when it was clear that a lot of the harsh criticism was based on outright falsehoods. Particularly from this "balancedscale" character.

As I said in my other comment, you can read through my entries since I've joined here. I don't know what I would benefit from "tricking people" into thinking I'm no longer a Republican voter. So if you think writing lengthy diary entries about issues makes me a some long-con troll, I don't really know what the heck I would get out of it, hell, is Dkos paying me to opine on such things? No. I don't know why there is such suspicion, or what these people in the past have done to this community, but do I deserve to be libelled because of some people who have hurt this place in the past?

It is an outright lie to say I called Democrats communist.

It is an outright lie to say I "went to Europe to smoke dope and live on campus and travel in a tour bus" and am somehow a sheltered privileged rich kid.

It's an outright lie to say I care less about brown people. I care more about Americans than anyone else, is that really controversial for an American to say?

That's where I have problems. I have no problems with the very valid criticism of my comments about not changing the vote for Bush. And I own that and I do understand why that is provoking a lot of push-back.

But to use that disagreement to start pushing lies about me to produce INVALID criticism of me, is where I draw the line.

•  Also you've suddenly turned this into a racial (0+ / 0-)

Thing by constantly referring to "brown people" and acting like I traveled on "other people's dimes" and "didn't actually travel around" and "smoking dope" (when did i even mention going to europe and smoking dope? that's totally absurd).

It's very strange all of these assumptions you've made, all of them totally wrong. you really don't even know the half of how wrong you are.

But because of one comment I made about not changing past decisions, you've extrapolated from that a whole host of fantasy lies:

But maybe, just maybe, I'll write in more detail here at DailyKos about what has happened in my life since Obama's election and since I did a lot of traveling (no, not on anyone's dime but my own, and no, not in touristy areas, including some very unorthodox experiences, despite your wild imagination earlier)..

And I won't hold my breath for an apology from you once you know the details, because people like you don't care much for the truth, that much is obvious.

•  Also (0+ / 0-)

I'm privileged only insofar as I am white, and that is an inherent advantage for a number of reasons in the western world. Beyond that, my parents were working class, and I always took care of myself.

I explicitly stated that I went to college on a scholarship, worked my way through, and i'm not some Romneyite trust fund kid, far from it.

I don't like the tone of white guilt and self-hate and racial implications you bring with your comments.

I thought I was being reasonable enough admitting that i was privileged based on my skin tone, but you've taken it to a whole new level by implying all sorts of things and frankly I'm really offended and that's why I can't stop responding with outrage to your comments. Maybe if at least they were rooted in truth I would understand and accept such criticism, but you've taken the liberty of outright lying about me and using such lies to serve as a premise for personally insulting my integrity.