Skip to main content

View Diary: Boy Scouts chicken out and delay their decision to May (61 comments)

Comment Preferences

  •  Delay (5+ / 0-)

    I suspect that the decision will be delayed again at the Board's annual meeting.  They will want a long lead time before the big scout jamboree in the summer to avoid last-minute cancellations, and a decision in May won't give them much time.

    As much as we may disagree with the homophobic positions of some churches, allowing each sponsoring organization (mostly churches) to decide whether to allow gays is the right first step.  Then the members of that organization will have to step up to change their internal policies, but at least there would be options for boys to find other, more inclusive troops.

    •  I really don't see an alternative. (3+ / 0-)

      There's simply no way the Board could impose an inclusive policy on all the anti-gay sponsoring bodies.  That would virtually guarantee that they would leave en mass.

      My biggest concern is whether local Councils would have the option to continue the outright ban or if the national policy would guarantee that local troops and packs could be inclusive if they so chose.

      (That sound you are hearing is a paradigm being shifted at Warp Factor Infinity using no clutch.)

      by homogenius on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 10:31:21 AM PST

      [ Parent ]

Subscribe or Donate to support Daily Kos.

Click here for the mobile view of the site