View Diary: OMG It's The Worst Thing Ever!!!!! (119 comments)

•  so sorry to feel compelled to HR (0+ / 0-)

that word is the other one that just needs not be used. ever.

Anyone who scoffs at happiness needs to take their soul back to the factory and demand a better one. -driftglass

by postmodernista on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 05:52:53 PM PST

•  It is not important to remember (2+ / 0-)
      I love OCD, Glinda

that gay men were burned alive as kindling for witches?

That people for centuries so liked that idea they kept it in language?

Words of hate and oppression should be used in discussion of hate and oppression in my opinion.

So many lives ruined, it can't go unforgotten.

The highest form of spiritual practice is self observation with compassion.

by NCJim on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 06:40:43 AM PST

•  It seems that your avoidance of offensive terms (1+ / 0-)
      I love OCD

has not deprived them of their power over you.  It seems to have had the exact opposite effect. The words have too much power over you.

Which is exactly why gay men and women have adopted formerly offensive terms and defanged them by doing so.

"Republicans have been fleeced and exploited and lied to by a conservative entertainment complex." - David Frum

by Glinda on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 09:41:08 AM PST

•  Thanks for that comment. (1+ / 0-)
        Glinda

My friend Keith used to introduce himself "Hi, I'm Keith and I'm a screaming queen."  He was, too.  I don't know if that went into his work life with him, but he sure startled some of my friends.  He used to introduce me at his parties as the token het.

by I love OCD on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 10:27:17 AM PST

•  I've been known to refer to myself as ... (1+ / 0-)
          I love OCD

a fag hag when being introduced to an LGBT crowd.

That's a double whammy: a misogynistic and a homophobic slur.

by Glinda on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 01:17:16 PM PST

•  clearly you and Keith would have (0+ / 0-)

good friends!