View Diary: Megan Phelps-Roper leaves Westboro Baptist Church (330 comments)

•  What if she donated proceeds (7+ / 0-)

from the book to Ali Forney (or other centers for at-risk LGBT youth, maybe even one in WBC's backyard)?

The fortunate thing is that she's young enough (27) to have plenty of time to make amends. Perhaps work with Soulforce or some other progressive religious groups would help as well?

by Cali Scribe on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 08:11:22 PM PST

•  More like traveling in person to beg forgiveness (2+ / 0-)
      Steveningen, averybird

from the family members of every funeral they ever picketed, every politician they attacked in vile ways through horrible letters, faxes (they used to send hundreds of faxes per day) and everyone else they attacked with vile insults.

Maybe then, she might deserve a little forgiveness.

Time to get started.

by YucatanMan on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 09:04:00 PM PST

•  Please help me understand... (4+ / 0-)
        Ahianne, raincrow, Tod, Minnesota Deb

...you want her to beg forgiveness for everything WBC has ever done, as opposed to whatever her willing, voluntary, uncoerced part was in it?

And would the goalposts be moved while she was doing so, to insure that she never achieved enough to satisfy some of WBC's victims?

•  Are the perpetrators of evil more sympathetic (0+ / 0-)

than the victims whose lives were destroyed?

And yes, I recognize that there is an argument her life was destroyed by living in the cabal.  Her birth was not her choice.

Honestly, I do have a touch more sympathy for the grandchildren than the children of Fred Phelps.  A touch.

Not offering forgiveness is not the same as hate.  Hate is an active emotion.  I'm more indifferent.  I have nothing to offer the Phelps.

by YucatanMan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 10:35:04 AM PST

•  Why don't you beg her forgiveness for leaving her (1+ / 0-)
        raincrow

with a cult that practiced religious child abuse?  You knew what they were doing to the children, and you did nothing.

guns are fun v. hey buddy, watch what you are doing -- which side are you on?

by 88kathy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 08:32:49 AM PST

•  Once you open the door... (18+ / 0-)

closing it is very difficult. Nor are you sure of how you will change in the future.

I agree with Steven that she has a great deal to make up for and that simply getting rich by writing a book will not cut it. But unless she is truly craven (I don't get that sense from what she said either on her own part or in the interviews that she is) she will view this as a beginning, not as an ending. Of course it's possible that she will disappear into anonymity and, when you think about it, that might even be something she deserves. But having had the chutzpah to take the route she's taken she deserves a chance to prove she's serious.

•  Even if she does disappear (2+ / 0-)
        Cassandra Waites, Minnesota Deb

she has made a brave, public move against an abhorrent hate-filled, familial cult.  If one of his own grandchildren, and a granddaughter yet, one who is supposed to be subservient, publicly rejects his teaching - well, that has to be one on the eye for Phelps and others who think like him.

He's taken a huge public blow to his (hopefully limited) following, since he "can't even keep order in his own house."

•  And there are still a bunch of things she could (0+ / 0-)

do quietly and relatively anonymously while staying out of the public eye.

It all depends on how the guilt hits her and how she decides to manage dealing with that while building a life for herself.

Prayers and best wishes to those in Japan.

by Cassandra Waites on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 10:26:50 AM PST

•  Disappearing (2+ / 0-)
        LSophia, Cassandra Waites

and living a quiet life, discovering a healthier spiritual path, might be the best thing for her mental state. It's going to take a while though to become fully acquainted with The World with all its warts and glory.

by Cali Scribe on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 07:08:46 PM PST