View Diary: Megan Phelps-Roper leaves Westboro Baptist Church (330 comments)

•  Well, there's a way to encourage change. (24+ / 0-)

And folks say religious people are tough on sin.

www.stacysmusings.wordpress.com

by Magenta on Wed Feb 06, 2013 at 09:33:49 PM PST

•  The answer is NO. (2+ / 0-)
      larissa2, YucatanMan

You asked, "Seriously, protesting funerals can't be forgiven? Ever. No matter if she was raised to this and knew no better and still somehow came around? Never forgiven?"

The answer is no. Protesting funerals cannot be forgiven. I think people are here today are getting a little "forgiveness"-happy.

These assholes had a "countdown" that numbered the amount of days that Matthew Shepard was in "Hell". And Megan was a part of this.

So, my answer to you is no, there is no forgiveness. Not for what she, and they, did. Period.

•  People are a bit too quick to reduce what this (5+ / 0-)

group does to a one hour picket of a funeral on an off occasion.

They hounded and hounded people. Day and night. Home, play and work.  They closed down businesses.  They ran people out of their jobs.  They are certainly responsible for at least a few suicides, a few of which I am intimately familiar.

They sought ways to get people into legal trouble, filed false claims, pursued people in court to the point that Fred Sr was disbarred before both Federal and State courts (but that alone took years and the self-disqualification of practically every state and federal judge in Kansas, requiring bringing in other judges).

They literally destroyed people's lives on purpose, over and over.  They drove people into financial ruin and shut down lifelong small businesses.

The general public thinks, "Oh, it was just a couple hours at a funeral. That's hurtful. That's distasteful."

It was much, much more than that.  And only the people who have been hounded know how truly horrible it is.

by YucatanMan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 09:57:07 AM PST

•  She's 27. (7+ / 0-)

I was not much younger than she is when I realized bile-spewing religious fundie conservative wasn't who I wanted to be, and I was permitted to associate with people outside my cult.

What she has done is the rational extension of her upbringing. As she has grown into an adult, she has realized that what she's done is not the act of compassion she's been conditioned from birth to believe it is, meaning that against all odds she's developed empathy in that place.

Her awakening deserves praise. Forgiveness is not something deserved, but it should be given, if nothing else because leaving those who flee as outcasts doesn't give much incentive to those who might be afraid to leave.

They're taught that everyone hates them because of who they are. If that's proven not true, then Fred and Shirley lose a huge part of what keeps the cult together.

And more than I want retribution for what they've done, I want them to stop. One of them has stopped. A few dozen more and it's be a couple old angry people considered too ridiculous to be offensive.

"All things are true. Even false things. Don't ask me, man, I didn't do it." -Mitt Romney

by Geiiga on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 11:18:34 AM PST

•  I'm not sure this is really the case: (1+ / 0-)
          maf1029
          That's more what people outside assume is the case.

My belief is that they are taught that they, and only they, know the right way to live and that they are special in "god's" eyes.  Therefore, they must impart that wisdom to others in a way that will, in the words of all teabaggers, "Wake up! America!"

They are taught that they are righteous and doing the "good work."   Not that everyone hates them.

Perhaps everyone does.  But I don't think that's what they are taught.

I guess I'm splitting hairs, but that's the way I see it.

by YucatanMan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 11:27:33 AM PST

•  You can be taught both at the same time. (5+ / 0-)

That you have the truth AND that everyone hates you because you are following the truth.

I got lesser versions of both in the SBC church I grew up in.

Prayers and best wishes to those in Japan.

by Cassandra Waites on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 11:33:33 AM PST

•  Yes, you are right. I think this article (3+ / 0-)
              Catte Nappe, Lonely Texan, maf1029

brings up some interesting points to all of this:

http://www.kansascity.com/...  (hat tip to Catte Nappe for sharing this link with me)

Even though they all went to public schools, high schools, colleges, they really didn't make all that many friends and focused on the cult.

But the article does seem to show that they are fairly happy there, not caring about what others think.  Of course, can one reporter really penetrate and portray what goes on in people's minds in one article.

Still, a very interesting article.

by YucatanMan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 11:43:00 AM PST

•  I used the past tense in my comment above. (1+ / 0-)
        maf1029

Their practices continue to this day.

There isn't anything past tense about their continued efforts to literally destroy people's lives.

The funeral picketing is a publicity sideshow.  Their real evil is the targeting and hounding of specific people.

by YucatanMan on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 12:19:30 PM PST

•  you don't get to say she's unforgiven (0+ / 0-)

Wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

by AntonBursch on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 04:00:25 PM PST

• Law (19)
  • Rescued (17)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Barack Obama (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site