View Diary: Living with a Loved One in Pain (136 comments)

•  Is there any way to access that database ... (1+ / 0-)
    twigg

to research other doctors?  The home page requires a PIN to get in, yet I was able to view your link without any problem.  I recently moved from Marietta and may very well be in need of your firm's services soon.  I'd much rather go with one where I "know" someone.  ; )

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe." -- Albert Einstein

by Neuroptimalian on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 05:28:12 PM PST

•  Doctors; me. (1+ / 0-)
      Neuroptimalian

You shouldn't need a PIN. I think you may be looking at the blank that allows you to look up a doctor by the doctor's medical license number. Try this link, and just search by the doctor's last name: https://services.georgia.gov/...

I'm sorry to hear you may need disability. My firm is Martin and Jones--the main office is in Decatur. If you want to get in touch, email me at m-phillips at mindspring dot com.

"The true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals." - Barack Obama

by HeyMikey on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 08:20:05 PM PST

•  Thanks! (0+ / 0-)

I've bookmarked you for future reference but will wait to contact you after I've been officially denied ... again.  I could probably make a case now, but would rather have all my ducks in a row so that I'll have the best case possible.  (I work in law myself, but I don't think corporate litigation experience will help me enough here.)

Thanks again.

by Neuroptimalian on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 05:06:09 AM PST

•  Statistics. (0+ / 0-)

These stats are a couple years old, but I don't think much has changed.

Initial application (Georgia): about 67% denied.

Reconsideration (Georgia): about 88% denied.

Administrative law judge hearing (US): about 45% denied.

Appeals Council (US): about 73% denied.

US District Court (US): about 55% denied. (Depending on what metro Atlanta county you're in, your court may be worse or better than the average.)

11th Circuit: They were awful for a number of years but have improved--just a little--since about 2009-10. I think now the claimant only loses something like 65-70% of the time.

by HeyMikey on Sat Feb 09, 2013 at 10:54:36 PM PST

•  Criminy! Those are awful stats. (0+ / 0-)

Still, I think I have a great case, having been bed-ridden for five years due to degenerative disc disease.  I have X-rays and MRI films as proof that the L5-S1 disc is so shot, there is only a sliver of a gap between the vertebra.  I'm in the process of getting all the documentation into my current doctor's file so that everything is in one place.

Thanks for going to the trouble of providing the statistics.  Enlightening yet frightening at the same time.

by Neuroptimalian on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 08:57:04 PM PST

•  Look, I really think you should have a lawyer. (0+ / 0-)

Now that I've said that, it would be unethical for me or my firm to represent you, at least at this stage of the appeal. I suggest contacting Affleck & Gordon. They do a good job.

You just really, really don't understand how many appeals I have fought for years and years with evidence that sounds like yours. I won a case last month on which I'd been working since 2004. The client had handled her own case through the first four decisions, and when she finally got up to US District Court in 2004 she realized she was truly in over her head, and hired me. I lost her case in US District Court, appealed to the 11th Circuit, won a remand to SSA, fought through two more SSA ALJ hearings, then another SSA Appeals Council denial, then back to US District Court, where we finally have a final win.

That woman's board-certified orthopedic surgeon, and her internist, have both been saying she's disabled due to severe scoliosis, uncontrollable hypertension, and severe anxiety since 2004 (orthopedic surgeon) or 2001 (internist).

You seem to think that because you are an honest citizen with a serious medical problem, your government will treat you decently. If your case is assigned to the right SSA person, it might. But the odds are against it.

by HeyMikey on Sun Feb 10, 2013 at 09:24:07 PM PST