View Diary: We should all be forced to look at (182 comments)

•  part of the licensing process... (4+ / 0-)

that includes minimum @ hours of gun training, background check, demonstration of insurance and locked cabinet, legal purchase receipt, and whatever else is needed to demonstrate responsibility.

"There's nothing serious about a plan that claims to reduce the deficit by spending a trillion dollars on tax cuts for millionaires and billionaires." - President Obama

by fhcec on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 11:33:18 AM PST

•  Exactly (1+ / 0-)
      NancyWH

The drivers-ed analogy--having to see what car accidents can do to the human body--is a really good one. You want that license, you get to know the good and the bad.

Why in the hell do people want to argue against this? It's common sense.

It is time to #Occupy Media.

by lunachickie on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 12:45:48 PM PST

•  Driving isn't a constitutionally-protected right. (1+ / 0-)
        happymisanthropy

Every American doesn't have the right to a driver's license.

With reasonable restrictions from the state, every American does have the Constitutionally-protected right to own a firearm.

Every American also has the Constitutionally-protected right to an abortion.

What argument can you make for forcing those seeking to exercise their right to own a firearm to "get to know the good and the bad" by showing them gruesome pictures, that can't also be made for forcing those seeking to exercise their right to an abortion to "get to know the good and the bad" by showing them gruesome pictures of aborted fetuses?

by JamesGG on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 01:16:38 PM PST

•  oh, (0+ / 0-)

for fuck's sake. When will you just post without arguing, period?

It is time to #Occupy Media.

by lunachickie on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 01:47:06 PM PST

•  ummm... when we stop disagreeing? (0+ / 0-)

Or do you think that now that you have expressed your opinion, I am somehow obligated to acquiesce to it rather than continuing to make my case?

by JamesGG on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:14:32 PM PST

•  I CAN have a gun (6+ / 0-)

I'm not REQUIRED to have a gun.

If I decide I want one, I should at the least be totally cognizant of the power of the weapon and what it can do.

Nobody MAKES me buy a gun. Just like nobody MAKES me drive a car.

•  Thank you! (0+ / 0-)

It is time to #Occupy Media.

by lunachickie on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 01:57:34 PM PST

•  That's a bit of a non-sequitur. (1+ / 0-)
            happymisanthropy

I'm not required to exercise my religion, speak out on political issues, or assemble with like-minded people—but that doesn't change the fact that those are Constitutionally-protected rights.

That nobody is required to own a gun or get an abortion, but that people can choose to do those things if they want to, also does not change the fact that those are Constitutionally-protected rights.

Driving is not considered a Constitutionally-protected right, and thus the state can require that drivers be licensed and set up processes for requiring drivers' education first.

The state cannot require that those who wish to join a church be licensed and undergo a religious-education process prior to being allowed to join a church, because the free exercise of religion is a right.

by JamesGG on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:12:34 PM PST

•  And if your religion mandates (6+ / 0-)

You sacrifice children, or smoke weed, think you'll be allowed to exercise your right?

I think not.

You can't slander people, or start a riot, either. So much for free speech. And just try having a parade or a protest without a permit. So much for the right to peaceably assemble.

No right is absolute. Not speech, not religion, and certainly not the right to own weapons.

•  Of course gun ownership isn't an absolute right... (0+ / 0-)

...and you'll note that I don't argue anywhere that it is an absolute right.

What I do argue is that gun ownership is a Constitutionally-protected right, on the same level as freedom of speech and freedom of religion. As with speech and religion, the right to gun ownership is protected by the Constitution regardless of whether or not one decides to exercise that right.

A driver's license isn't understood to be a Constitutionally-protected right. Thus, there's a much higher legal bar to clear to implement new regulations on speech, religion, and gun ownership than there is for regulating automobile operation.

by JamesGG on Fri Feb 08, 2013 at 07:22:32 AM PST

•  I don't have a problem with (1+ / 0-)
      lunachickie

it being part of the licensing process, I must have misunderstood, I thought we were talking about showing it on TV. THAT I have a problem with, there are a lot of people out there with triggers, add in small kids, and you could be causing more harm than doing good.

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 01:56:53 PM PST

•  no, you didn't misunderstand (1+ / 0-)
        FloridaSNMOM

I think I got kind of caught up in the moment of "should it be on tv or in print media" and was compelled to suggest it be done during licensing instead :)

It is time to #Occupy Media.

by lunachickie on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:00:34 PM PST

•  Thank you for the clarification (2+ / 0-)
          lunachickie, VClib

Then I stand by my statements. Required for licensing, yes. Put on TV where people who are not able to handle it could be confronted with it: no.

by FloridaSNMOM on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:21:50 PM PST

•  I like the idea of it (0+ / 0-)

being on the telly--because really, it should be seen. But it's unworkable as a concept of deterrence because you can't force someone to watch it there.  It's pointless to do that at all if it's not required viewing.

It is time to #Occupy Media.

by lunachickie on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 02:28:21 PM PST

•  for some people it is the only means to access (0+ / 0-)

and for point of comparison there were people who objected to pictures of the violence unleashed against civil rights protestors in he 50s and 60s on the grounds that it upset them

again, TV often gives a warning when about to show something graphic.  I believe that would be appropriate and sufficient in this case.

"We didn't set out to save the world; we set out to wonder how other people are doing and to reflect on how our actions affect other people's hearts." - Pema Chodron

by teacherken on Thu Feb 07, 2013 at 04:13:49 PM PST